Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Frasier's Apartment

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Frasier's Apartment

Postby Ariel » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:03 pm

I was fascinated to find this, apologies if everyone else has already seen it! Can I ask though, what does Frasier mean when he says in one episode that he lives at Eliot Bay Towers, on the counter balance - what's a counter balance???
http://southgateresidential.blogspot.co ... ranes.html
Last edited by Ariel on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Love is an awesome force. It can make us do things we never imagined were possible. For you see, we don't actually choose love- it chooses us. And once it has, we are powerless to do anything about it."
Ariel

Re: Frasier's Appartment

Postby Patrick » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:40 pm

"The counterbalance" is the name of a street in Seattle as far as I know.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Ariel » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:48 pm

What a weird name for a street!!
"Love is an awesome force. It can make us do things we never imagined were possible. For you see, we don't actually choose love- it chooses us. And once it has, we are powerless to do anything about it."
Ariel

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:17 pm

Ariel wrote:What a weird name for a street!!

http://wikimapia.org/43487/The-Counterbalance
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Arnoldo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:41 pm

Based on the view from Frasier's apartment, I would say that he lives on Queen Anne Hill.
There used to be streetcars that ran along Queen Anne Avenue, and they used a counterbalance so that they could climb the steep hill without sliding back down.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?Di ... le_id=3027
Arnoldo

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:55 pm

The actual view from Frasier's condo doesn't really exist. It's a skyline composite.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Patrick » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:22 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:The actual view from Frasier's condo doesn't really exist. It's a skyline composite.

It's like Cheers, it's a combination of two places, one for the interior and the other for the exterior. The bar as we imagine it, never existed.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Arnoldo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:07 pm

Really I was just basing my inference off of the position of the Space Needle relative to all of the other buildings' positions on the other side of the Needle. My point was that if someone tried to replicate that view in real life, the closest they would get is probably somewhere around the southern part of the Queen Anne neighborhood.
Didn't mean to get too technical, though haha!
Arnoldo

Re: Frasier's Apartment

Postby Britannia » Tue May 06, 2014 4:47 am

I would love somebody to buy a plot of land with 'THAT' view and build Frasier's apartment exactly as it is in the show. That would obviously require the construction of a whole new block of high rise flats opposite the Space Needle but I think they'd sell like hot cakes. There'd be a mad scramble to purchase apartment #1901.
Britannia

Postby Patrick » Tue May 06, 2014 12:16 pm

Britannia wrote:I would love somebody to buy a plot of land with 'THAT' view and build Frasier's apartment exactly as it is in the show. That would obviously require the construction of a whole new block of high rise flats opposite the Space Needle but I think they'd sell like hot cakes. There'd be a mad scramble to purchase apartment #1901.

I am not even sure if that view exists at all, for all we know it could be a composition of views or a view from a point where there can be no buildings.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby PistolPoet » Tue May 06, 2014 1:27 pm

I think they've said in one of the DVD extras that it is in fact a composition and that there is no way a flat could have a view like that from anywhere in Seattle :(.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby Roverman » Tue May 06, 2014 10:49 pm

I have vague recollections of someone saying you'd have to live halfway up a mountain to get that view of the Space Needle?
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri May 09, 2014 1:47 am

I'm not sure about the mountain thing regarding the Space Needle. I think you could probably have that view from the right place downtown. However, the entire view, yes, it's a composite of various sites around Seattle.
CatNamedRudy

Postby ShinChuck » Tue May 13, 2014 5:42 am

That layout is interesting. There are a few bits I don't recognize. What's the room with the W.D. next to Daphne's room? Is that just storage behind the fireplace? Does Martin have his own balcony? Is that hallway around Frasier's bath/hottub room thing ever shown?

I'm just being obsessive, heheh. Is there some artistic license here? I know a couple times random bits of a room/hallway appeared for whatever reason, so there's a good chance I've forgotten bits and pieces.
ShinChuck

Postby Ariel » Thu May 15, 2014 7:30 pm

Well having just watched the ep when Niles' apartment suddenly grew a back door - I think his wins the prize for weirdness - but I've also wondered about that fireplace of Frasiers, in one ep he throws paper on it so I still can't work out if it's real or not! Do all apartments in America have tiny kitchens and huge bathrooms - or just Frasier's?? Also is it usual to have a toilet leading off the lounge?????
Ariel

Postby Roverman » Thu May 15, 2014 9:13 pm

The room next to Daphne's room is a Laundry room but it was never seen on screen. I presume they decided it would generate more storylines if the machines were 19 floors away. Later on Daphne finds out a room does have connections for a machine but I thought that was the storage space behind the fireplace?
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman

Postby Patrick » Thu May 15, 2014 9:59 pm

Roverman wrote:The room next to Daphne's room is a Laundry room but it was never seen on screen. I presume they decided it would generate more storylines if the machines were 19 floors away. Later on Daphne finds out a room does have connections for a machine but I thought that was the storage space behind the fireplace?

Yeah, Frasier sounds like a cheapskate not to have his own laundry room. There are people that live in much less luxurious conditions that do.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri May 16, 2014 3:08 pm

Ariel wrote:Well having just watched the ep when Niles' apartment suddenly grew a back door - I think his wins the prize for weirdness - but I've also wondered about that fireplace of Frasiers, in one ep he throws paper on it so I still can't work out if it's real or not! Do all apartments in America have tiny kitchens and huge bathrooms - or just Frasier's?? Also is it usual to have a toilet leading off the lounge?????

That's not that unusual.

The size of Frasier's master bathroom is unusual. Though in some condos that are priced in the millions it would be more normal.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Patrick » Fri May 16, 2014 4:01 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Ariel wrote:Well having just watched the ep when Niles' apartment suddenly grew a back door - I think his wins the prize for weirdness - but I've also wondered about that fireplace of Frasiers, in one ep he throws paper on it so I still can't work out if it's real or not! Do all apartments in America have tiny kitchens and huge bathrooms - or just Frasier's?? Also is it usual to have a toilet leading off the lounge?????

That's not that unusual.

The size of Frasier's master bathroom is unusual. Though in some condos that are priced in the millions it would be more normal.

Have you seen the size of Kelsey Grammer's real kitchen? It's enormous. He could cook for a regiment there.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Roverman » Sat May 17, 2014 11:15 pm

Would anyone here, if they were a set designer have done anything different with 1901 EBT?

One of my gripes is that the dining area seems cramped, this is a big contrast to the living area which is quite open, the dining table is hemmed in by the console, the steps and the kitchen wall. The size is ok when there are only 2 or 3 of them at the table but it doesn't suit the larger dinner parties Frasier likes to throw and I wonder if that's why later on in the show a lot of the entertaining is done at the Montana?

An excellent example is the Brunch scene in "Whine Club" there's 7 of them and there is no way all of them are going to fit around that table! In fact we only see Roz briefly sit at the table during that whole scene.
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman

Postby PistolPoet » Sun May 18, 2014 12:41 am

Yup, even if he had a table which could be extended, he wouldn't have anywhere to put it.
And I'd feel claustrophobic in his kitchen. It's not as bad as Niles's in the Montana (and I do love Frasier's cupboards) but it's still really small.
PistolPoet

Postby heartofmotion » Tue May 20, 2014 12:45 pm

I presume the dining table's in that position to aid the movements of the actors. The table is central and it just means the main parts of the set are easily linked as actors make their entrances and exits. Same with the 'powder room' - how many plot twists depend on its proximity to the front door - Frasier handcuffed to stripper and Frasier kissing Roz who has just doused herself with pheromones are just the first two that spring to mind!

The only other possible place for the dining table would be behind the camera, in the part of the room we never see!

Re: the kitchen - it's not so small - we just never see the part behind the cooker. I remember one scene when we do - when Frasier hides behind it eavesdropping on Martin talking to a girlfriend.
heartofmotion

Postby Patrick » Tue May 20, 2014 1:15 pm

heartofmotion wrote:...Re: the kitchen - it's not so small - we just never see the part behind the cooker. I remember one scene when we do - when Frasier hides behind it eavesdropping on Martin talking to a girlfriend.

11th season's "I 'm Listening"...
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby PistolPoet » Tue May 20, 2014 4:12 pm

heartofmotion wrote:
Re: the kitchen - it's not so small - we just never see the part behind the cooker. I remember one scene when we do - when Frasier hides behind it eavesdropping on Martin talking to a girlfriend.

Yeah, but all the appliances, the sink and the cupboards are on the visible side, so the part behind the stove is pretty useless. Though I suppose that things would be better arranged if it was a real kitchen.
PistolPoet

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed May 21, 2014 12:48 am

Patrick wrote:
heartofmotion wrote:...Re: the kitchen - it's not so small - we just never see the part behind the cooker. I remember one scene when we do - when Frasier hides behind it eavesdropping on Martin talking to a girlfriend.

11th season's "I 'm Listening"...

I hate that scene SO much! It makes no sense at all for Frasier to hide.
CatNamedRudy

Next

Return to Frasier Discussion