Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby Roverman » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:04 pm

In 'To tell the truth' Roz tells us about her ex boyfriend, Donny Douglas who is an excellent lawyer. How come she didn't use him when she 'rear-ended a Lexus with 4 lawyers inside?'
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:40 am

Roverman wrote:In 'To tell the truth' Roz tells us about her ex boyfriend, Donny Douglas who is an excellent lawyer. How come she didn't use him when she 'rear-ended a Lexus with 4 lawyers inside?'


Probably because he's a divorce lawyer. Unless she was planning on divorcing one of the guys in the Lexus he wouldn't do much good.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby Patrick » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:31 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Roverman wrote:In 'To tell the truth' Roz tells us about her ex boyfriend, Donny Douglas who is an excellent lawyer. How come she didn't use him when she 'rear-ended a Lexus with 4 lawyers inside?'


Probably because he's a divorce lawyer. Unless she was planning on divorcing one of the guys in the Lexus he wouldn't do much good.

It seems like he was acquainted enough with tort law to sue both Daphne and Frasier for emotional distress (and a list of other things. ). Plus he seemed to be intimidating enough to Maris lawyers all by himself. So I'll say that he would have gleefully counter-sued Roz' (whiplash-faking and whatever else she said about them) lawyers and probably be successful at that. They would be the ones paying a pension to Roz' for life... :lol:
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby Cymru1991 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:17 am

Patrick wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:
Roverman wrote:In 'To tell the truth' Roz tells us about her ex boyfriend, Donny Douglas who is an excellent lawyer. How come she didn't use him when she 'rear-ended a Lexus with 4 lawyers inside?'


Probably because he's a divorce lawyer. Unless she was planning on divorcing one of the guys in the Lexus he wouldn't do much good.

It seems like he was acquainted enough with tort law to sue both Daphne and Frasier for emotional distress (and a list of other things. ). Plus he seemed to be intimidating enough to Maris lawyers all by himself. So I'll say that he would have gleefully counter-sued Roz' (whiplash-faking and whatever else she said about them) lawyers and probably be successful at that. They would be the ones paying a pension to Roz' for life... :lol:


Probably because when you're at law school, you become familiar with the primary aspects of law, then after you train, you only qualify in one area. So I was actually pleased to see that he still remembered his basic tort, but I assume he would have retained a specialist lawyer in that field had he pushed on with his claim against Frasier and Daphne (as I write this, I'm about to take a short walk to take one of my Law final exams, so technically I shouldn't be on here haha :D )
Cymru1991
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby Roverman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:33 am

Best of luck Cymru1991!
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby Patrick » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:36 am

Roverman wrote:Best of luck Cymru1991!

Ditto.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby Cymru1991 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:20 pm

Thanks ladies and gents! Much appreciated! :)
Cymru1991
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby PistolPoet » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:34 pm

This is really ridiculous, but I thought I'd mention it anyway:
I've recently got back to translating Frasier subtitles, and I looked up the Japanese Netsuke dolls which Niles mentions in Leapin' Lizards. He says that the exhibition shows 14th century figurines, when Wikipedia says they were first made in the 17th century.

This must be the nerdiest thing I've said on this forum :D.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
User avatar
PistolPoet
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 pm
Location: Serbia

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby Roverman » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:23 pm

Nerdy but worth noting!

Can you find out what Martin says to Pam, Daphne's Korean friend?
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby Patrick » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:51 pm

Roverman wrote:Nerdy but worth noting!

Can you find out what Martin says to Pam, Daphne's Korean friend?

My money is on meaningless chatter, the other possibility being some sleazy remark and I don't think they would have dared that on familial TV (given the girl's reaction, it's either incomprehensible or very shocking). For example when they speak French they never say anything that they couldn't have said in English.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby PistolPoet » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:58 pm

Roverman wrote:Nerdy but worth noting!

Can you find out what Martin says to Pam, Daphne's Korean friend?

Unfortunately, the only English subtitles I have just transcribed what Martin said ("an-nyong-hi kye-se-yo") and that, predictably, doesn't give me anything when I paste it into Google Translate. The episode transcript simply says "Martin says something in Korean". I wish I knew a Korean Frasier fan, I'm really curious!
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
User avatar
PistolPoet
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 pm
Location: Serbia

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby Patrick » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:08 pm

PistolPoet wrote:
Roverman wrote:Nerdy but worth noting!

Can you find out what Martin says to Pam, Daphne's Korean friend?

Unfortunately, the only English subtitles I have just transcribed what Martin said ("an-nyong-hi kye-se-yo") and that, predictably, doesn't give me anything when I paste it into Google Translate. The episode transcript simply says "Martin says something in Korean". I wish I knew a Korean Frasier fan, I'm really curious!

Maybe it means "You're lovely as a chicken beak" in Korean. :lol:
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby PistolPoet » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:30 pm

Patrick wrote:
PistolPoet wrote:
Roverman wrote:Nerdy but worth noting!

Can you find out what Martin says to Pam, Daphne's Korean friend?

Unfortunately, the only English subtitles I have just transcribed what Martin said ("an-nyong-hi kye-se-yo") and that, predictably, doesn't give me anything when I paste it into Google Translate. The episode transcript simply says "Martin says something in Korean". I wish I knew a Korean Frasier fan, I'm really curious!

Maybe it means "You're lovely as a chicken beak" in Korean. :lol:

Judging by the look she gave him, he must have compared her to some other part of animal anatomy :P.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
User avatar
PistolPoet
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 pm
Location: Serbia

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby Patrick » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:16 pm

PistolPoet wrote:...Judging by the look she gave him, he must have compared her to some other part of animal anatomy :P.

If this were real instead of a TV show, my best guess would be something he used to tell the Korean hookers to get them to sleep with him, like "Love me for five dollars and a can of spam." :lol:
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby Frank B » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:54 pm

I just tried translating "You're lovely as a chicken beak" into korean with Google Translate, and it gives the following result:

"dangsin-eun dalg buli lo salang iya"

That doesn't seem right.
User avatar
Frank B
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:30 pm

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby PistolPoet » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:19 pm

Nah, I don't think they'd use the line twice anyway.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
User avatar
PistolPoet
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 pm
Location: Serbia

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby Patrick » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:28 pm

PistolPoet wrote:Nah, I don't think they'd use the line twice anyway.

Me neither, I was joshing.

I am afraid that until one of us meets a Korean speaking person who watches the show we'll be limited to conjectures.

But by the look on her face I would say that it is supposed to be something vulgar or lewd, something you'd tell a loose woman or a hooker and therefore totally inappropriate. Daphne's reaction suggests that she suspects as much.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:11 pm

PistolPoet wrote:
Roverman wrote:Nerdy but worth noting!

Can you find out what Martin says to Pam, Daphne's Korean friend?

Unfortunately, the only English subtitles I have just transcribed what Martin said ("an-nyong-hi kye-se-yo") and that, predictably, doesn't give me anything when I paste it into Google Translate. The episode transcript simply says "Martin says something in Korean". I wish I knew a Korean Frasier fan, I'm really curious!


Just noticed you said this. That's actually a pretty close translation to the simple 'goodbye' phrasing in Korean. Not sure what'd be offensive about that, though :lol:

http://www.teachkoreanz.com/living/phrases.htm#Greetings
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby freewill » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:44 pm

Yeah, the actual phrase is supposed to be "an-nyoung-ha-se-yo", it actually can mean either hello or goodbye.
"Your ex-wife is ruining my sex life!"
freewill
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:11 pm

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby freewill » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:47 pm

Patrick wrote:
Eddie2012 wrote:And in The Return Of Martin Crane he admits that he even got colleagues to lift Maris' car closer to a hydrant, so he could boot her car. The excuse was she was loaded... 8-)

Yeah, for someone who's never "fixed a ticket", that's borderline sleazy. Basically, that's tantamount to steal the fine money from Maris and that makes him a criminal even if he's not the one who gets the money.


Well, that uncovers the real reason he wouldn't fix Maris's ticket in "Word to the Wiseguy". He didn't like her.
"Your ex-wife is ruining my sex life!"
freewill
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:11 pm

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby PistolPoet » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:08 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
PistolPoet wrote:
Roverman wrote:Nerdy but worth noting!

Can you find out what Martin says to Pam, Daphne's Korean friend?

Unfortunately, the only English subtitles I have just transcribed what Martin said ("an-nyong-hi kye-se-yo") and that, predictably, doesn't give me anything when I paste it into Google Translate. The episode transcript simply says "Martin says something in Korean". I wish I knew a Korean Frasier fan, I'm really curious!


Just noticed you said this. That's actually a pretty close translation to the simple 'goodbye' phrasing in Korean. Not sure what'd be offensive about that, though :lol:

http://www.teachkoreanz.com/living/phrases.htm#Greetings

*gasp* The mystery is resolved!
I guess Daphne gave Martin that look just because she thought he was trying to be a little too nice to her friend. Why the friend gave him a shocked look, on the other hand, is another question. She couldn't have known that Martin had a thing for Korean women, so she should have thought he was just being friendly.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
User avatar
PistolPoet
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 pm
Location: Serbia

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby Roverman » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:34 pm

Wow thanks for the efforts on this one guys!

If anything from reading that link, he gave the wrong goodbye, he said he was leaving rather than he was remaining but that shouldn't have got that kind of look from Pam!
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby Patrick » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:03 pm

PistolPoet wrote:...I guess Daphne gave Martin that look just because she thought he was trying to be a little too nice to her friend. Why the friend gave him a shocked look, on the other hand, is another question. She couldn't have known that Martin had a thing for Korean women, so she should have thought he was just being friendly.

True, the way she reacted implied that Martin said something lewd. (The kind of thing someone would say to a prostitute for example)
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:47 pm

Patrick wrote:My money is on meaningless chatter, the other possibility being some sleazy remark and I don't think they would have dared that on familial TV (given the girl's reaction, it's either incomprehensible or very shocking). For example when they speak French they never say anything that they couldn't have said in English.


I'd think this pretty much covers the situation. Using a harmless genuine Korean phrase and simply implying it's something offensive does the job for the scene.

They probably wouldn't expect enough people to care what he said to make it something specific and, as Patrick also says, they'd not be allowed to make it offensive anyway - even in a foreign language. :D
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby freewill » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:24 am

It could also be that Pam wasn't actually of Korean descent, and thus didn't understand what Martin was trying to say. His fixation isn't just on Korean women, but Asian women in general (as evidenced by him focusing on the "geisha" part of Niles's story).
"Your ex-wife is ruining my sex life!"
freewill
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:11 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Frasier Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


© Site contents are copyright Stuart Lee 1999 - 2021. This is a Frasier fan site and is not affiliated in any way with the program, Grub St Productions, Paramount or NBC.