Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Re: Mistakes on Frasier (redux)

Postby frasier floyd » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Martin's random fascination with Asian women was just weird since it randomly popped up for one episode. It didn't even lead to a funny story line so I'm not sure what the point of it was, except to make him appear creepy.
frasier floyd

Postby Patrick » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:21 pm

frasier floyd wrote:Martin's random fascination with Asian women was just weird since it randomly popped up for one episode. It didn't even lead to a funny story line so I'm not sure what the point of it was, except to make him appear creepy.

It definitely made him appear creepy, like an old satyr. I remember once an old woman looking at me the way Martin looked at that very young and attractive friend of Daphne and it chilled me to the bone, so I can sympathize. :lol:
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby frasier floyd » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:05 pm

It was just so pointless. Not only was he much older than Daphne's friend, but his only attraction to her was apparently her ethnicity, not her specific beauty or personality. It wouldn't have been as weird if they'd actually went somewhere with it.

Besides, of the people I've met who have a special attraction to Asian women, it didn't just appear for an afternoon. :wink:
frasier floyd

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:57 pm

Agreed. Strange to create a scene for something that bore no further relevance to Martin's character. I can accept occasional out of character moments being used to highlight a good joke, but i fail to see where that excuse could be laid at the scene in question :D
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby PistolPoet » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:00 pm

Patrick wrote:It definitely made him appear creepy, like an old satyr. I remember once an old woman looking at me the way Martin looked at that very young and attractive friend of Daphne and it chilled me to the bone, so I can sympathize. :lol:

To me it was as creepy as when he tried to date two women at the same time in It Takes Two to Tangle. The worst part was when he almost pursued a third in Café Nervosa and said "What can I tell ya? Daddy's got a big appetite." Made me shiver.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby welshben23 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:02 pm

I must've got a totally different sense of humour to the rest of you. Both situations mentioned made me laugh, which Frasier is meant to do.
welshben23

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:30 pm

I don't dislike the scene, i just agreed that it's a bit of a strange one to come out of the blue when it's something never mentioned before or after. It just seemed quite throwaway when i guess it could have been jokingly referenced in future eps.

Not really bothered either way. I don't get creeped out by it or anything. Though, I can sure see why it could be considered creepy :lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby PistolPoet » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:10 pm

welshben23 wrote:I must've got a totally different sense of humour to the rest of you. Both situations mentioned made me laugh, which Frasier is meant to do.

Of course it's meant to make you laugh, it's a sitcom, but you can't laugh at every single scene in every single episode. I'm creeped out by lecherous old men, especially when they are likeable and don't generally behave that way, so when I saw Martin behave like a dog in heat, I had a similar reaction to Frasier and Niles's.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:17 pm

PistolPoet wrote:I'm creeped out by lecherous old men, especially when they are likeable and don't generally behave that way, so when I saw Martin behave like a dog in heat, I had a similar reaction to Frasier and Niles's.

And it's such a common trope of mainstream tv and movie writing. Older bloke chases, and often gets, the young girl. Frasier related writers can now be seen carrying it on into Modern Family with Jay and Gloria - and Phil's comedic lusting over her. You'd never guess most writers are blokes!

They should have had Martin get dumped by Cora Winston in preference of a twenty year old guy. :lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby freewill » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:09 am

Here's a small mistake. In A Crane's Critique, Daphne says that Martin and Mr. Howten are going to see a Mariners double-header ("That's two games!"). Only thing is, Major League Baseball doesn't initially schedule games to be double-headers; they're brought about by the necessity of making up a game that was previously rained out. But back when this episode took place, the Mariners played their games in the Kingdome, which was, as its name implies, a domed stadium. So the Mariners would never have needed to play a double-header (not in Seattle, at least).
"Your ex-wife is ruining my sex life!"
freewill

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:35 pm

freewill wrote:Here's a small mistake. In A Crane's Critique, Daphne says that Martin and Mr. Howten are going to see a Mariners double-header ("That's two games!"). Only thing is, Major League Baseball doesn't initially schedule games to be double-headers; they're brought about by the necessity of making up a game that was previously rained out. But back when this episode took place, the Mariners played their games in the Kingdome, which was, as its name implies, a domed stadium. So the Mariners would never have needed to play a double-header (not in Seattle, at least).

They used to. Double headers were scheduled at least a couple of times a year.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby freewill » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:28 am

You know, I thought it was distinctly possible that they used to, because I do actually remember them being more commonplace back then. Just excited that I might have actually discovered a mistake.

Anyway, I just spotted a nice "mistake", albeit an intentional one. In To Thine Old Self Be True, when Regan drops the groceries in the hall, the head of lettuce that comes to a stop next to Frasier's feet didn't actually come from the bag. Look closely and it was clearly "bowled" by someone off screen as the other groceries spilled out. Obviously they needed something to land right near Frasier's foot and I thought it happened just a bit too perfectly so I took a closer look. Probably been commented on before but I'd never seen it mentioned.
"Your ex-wife is ruining my sex life!"
freewill

Postby Patrick » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:59 am

freewill wrote:You know, I thought it was distinctly possible that they used to, because I do actually remember them being more commonplace back then. Just excited that I might have actually discovered a mistake.

Anyway, I just spotted a nice "mistake", albeit an intentional one. In To Thine Old Self Be True, when Regan drops the groceries in the hall, the head of lettuce that comes to a stop next to Frasier's feet didn't actually come from the bag. Look closely and it was clearly "bowled" by someone off screen as the other groceries spilled out. Obviously they needed something to land right near Frasier's foot and I thought it happened just a bit too perfectly so I took a closer look. Probably been commented on before but I'd never seen it mentioned.

Sorry but I've already spotted that one and discovered since then that it was an old one. But from your own point of view it was a real find since nobody told you about it before. :)
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby LeCigareVolant » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:51 am

I'm guessing it's been mentioned elsewhere, and it probably doesn't count as a mistake as it was used as a punchline, but Frasier mentions taking the ferry (or, as the joke goes, the "Rasta-ferry") to Mercer Island. There hasn't been a ferry route to Mercer Island for 50+ years, it sits locked between Seattle and the Eastside and a ferry would make little sense.
LeCigareVolant

Previous

Return to Frasier Discussion