Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

"burping vultures"

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

"burping vultures"

Postby frasier floyd » Wed May 15, 2013 5:39 pm

Hey everyone! I was just listening to "Dark Victory" and Frasier's "burping vultures" line has always sounded very familiar to me. The first time I heard it on the show, I thought I recognized it from a poem or short story. I've tried looking up the quote but this Frasier episode is the only result. I know it's a long shot, but I was just curious if anyone else has any familiarity with this phrase. If not, I'll just have to attribute it to the show, or possibly a line from a peer in one of my old college writing classes. Thanks!
frasier floyd

Re: "burping vultures"

Postby PistolPoet » Wed May 15, 2013 6:59 pm

Unfortunately, no idea. I was an English major but I don't remember reading that in any of the many books we had to read. On the other hand, when anyone says "vultures", I think of the ones from The Jungle Book :) so no wonder I don't have any better suggestions.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby Roverman » Wed May 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Lets look at this from a biological point of view, can vultures actually burp?
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman

Postby frasier floyd » Wed May 15, 2013 8:12 pm

haha, I don't know if vultures burp but I would guess that they do. I guess this line just stuck with me because I think it's a really simple but effective visual and metaphor. For some reason, when I first heard Frasier say it I was under the impression that he'd stolen it from one of Allen Ginsberg's poems. When I went to look it up, though, I didn't find anything. I guess it's possible that I heard it from a classmate's poem, or was simply mistaken.

Thank you both for your input!
frasier floyd

Postby Patrick » Wed May 15, 2013 11:47 pm

Maybe it's paraphrasing something you read. Could it be that these weren't actually vultures but some other scavengers for example or maybe they weren't burping but making some other unholy noises?
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed May 15, 2013 11:56 pm

Are you sure the line isn't "harping" vultures?

I haven't seen that episode in a while but I can't remember any line about burping vultures. Could be I just never paid attention though.

Wait, never mind. It is just that I never really listened to it before. I just looked up the line. Vultures do not actually burp but burping is the sound of a someone who has just eaten a satisfying meal and that is what Frasier is getting at. He feels like he's just been picked to death. (like the zebra caracas on the Serengheti).
Last edited by CatNamedRudy on Thu May 16, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Patrick » Thu May 16, 2013 12:00 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:Are you sure the line isn't "harping" vultures?

I haven't seen that episode in a while but I can't remember any line about burping vultures. Could be I just never paid attention though.

I am pretty sure, it is "burping vultures".
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu May 16, 2013 12:01 am

Patrick wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:Are you sure the line isn't "harping" vultures?

I am pretty sure, it is "burping vultures".

Yeah he did. I just edited my post. I never paid much attention to that line before.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby frasier floyd » Thu May 16, 2013 3:30 pm

It's certainly possible that I've confused the line with a similar one. Since I immediately thought of Ginsberg I may have to reread through some of his work when I get a chance. Thanks everyone for your input!
frasier floyd

Postby ProOperaVoter » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:18 pm

Yes, burping vultures is very Ginberg-esque.
"Sherry, Niles?"
ProOperaVoter

Return to Frasier Discussion