Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Bebe Glazer's accent.

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Bebe Glazer's accent.

Postby Patrick » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:22 pm

What is it? Is it fake? It seems to remind me of someone at times but I can't put my finger on whom it is. Is she impersonating someone?
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Re: Bebe Glazer's accent.

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:08 pm

I've never noticed an accent.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby PistolPoet » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:21 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I've never noticed an accent.

Really? :shock: I think she has quite an accent (though her intonation might be making it more pronounced than it really is), but I'm terrible at American accents, so I can't say what it is. Most of the time she doesn't pronounce her Rs ("daaaahling"), making me think she sounds a bit like an old-school Southerner.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby Patrick » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:31 pm

PistolPoet wrote:

Really? :shock: I think she has quite an accent (though her intonation might be making it more pronounced than it really is), but I'm terrible at American accents, so I can't say what it is. Most of the time she doesn't pronounce her Rs ("daaaahling"), making me think she sounds a bit like an old-school Southerner.

I think she sounds a tad Irish at times but I would need confirmation on that as I am terrible with accents.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Frasiertime » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:23 am

Patrick wrote:
PistolPoet wrote:

I think she sounds a tad Irish at times but I would need confirmation on that as I am terrible with accents.

Harriet Sansom Harris (Bebe) Her bio says she was born and raised in Ft. Worth, Texas and was accepted to Juilliard School in New York when she was 17. Maybe she has tried to cover up a Texas accent, but some of it seeps through :?:
One of the best things about watching Frasier is the rewind button!
Frasiertime

Postby Eddie2012 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:37 am

I, too, noticed that she does not do the American 'r' (just watched the episode where she tries to give up smoking).

I lived in Ireland for a year and a half - to me there is absolutely nothing Irish in her accent (same with Niles in Ham Radio, it always puzzled me as to why he impersonated the Irish chap the way he did :shock: ).

No idea what a Southern or Texan accent sounds like. I always thought they pronounce the 'r' extra strong - but that must be wrong when I read what Frasiertime and PistolPoet wrote?
Eddie2012

Postby Frasiertime » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:22 am

Eddie2012 wrote:I, too, noticed that she does not do the American 'r' (just watched the episode where she tries to give up smoking).

I lived in Ireland for a year and a half - to me there is absolutely nothing Irish in her accent (same with Niles in Ham Radio, it always puzzled me as to why he impersonated the Irish chap the way he did :shock: ).

No idea what a Southern or Texan accent sounds like. I always thought they pronounce the 'r' extra strong - but that must be wrong when I read what Frasiertime and PistolPoet wrote?

Doesn't really sound Texan to me, she just talks a little funny (imo). That's why I thought she might be trying to cover up a Texan accent and it sounds a little odd. Whatever it is, I wouldn't call it a regional American accent.
Frasiertime

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:40 am

Listen to how Roz speaks when she's doing the Thelma and Louise thing in Freudian Sleep. That's Peri with her slightly over exaggerated natural Texas accent.

I notice a sense "rich snottiness" tone in Bebe's speech but definitely never any type of foreign accent.
CatNamedRudy

Postby DiceMan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:53 am

Sounds like a transatlantic accent
DiceMan

Postby PistolPoet » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:20 am

I asked my friend who is a phonetician and he says that it's actually an old upper-class variety of the East Coast speech, a non-rhotic (R not pronounced) accent which was the basis for an accent that lots of actors adopted in the first half of the 20th century, like Barbara Stanwyck, Carole Lombard, Katharine Hepburn etc.
PistolPoet

Postby Patrick » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:57 am

PistolPoet wrote:I asked my friend who is a phonetician and he says that it's actually an old upper-class variety of the East Coast speech, a non-rhotic (R not pronounced) accent which was the basis for an accent that lots of actors adopted in the first half of the 20th century, like Barbara Stanwyck, Carole Lombard, Katharine Hepburn etc.

Yes, that's probably why I thought that she was impersonating someone.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Frasiertime » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:53 pm

PistolPoet wrote:I asked my friend who is a phonetician and he says that it's actually an old upper-class variety of the East Coast speech, a non-rhotic (R not pronounced) accent which was the basis for an accent that lots of actors adopted in the first half of the 20th century, like Barbara Stanwyck, Carole Lombard, Katharine Hepburn etc.

What a great explanation, and Bebe does it so well. Old Hollywood.... she's even got the over dramatic hand gestures and body language to go with the accent. What about Gil? His way of speaking also sounds made up to me.
Frasiertime

Postby PistolPoet » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:39 pm

Frasiertime wrote:What a great explanation, and Bebe does it so well. Old Hollywood.... she's even got the over dramatic hand gestures and body language to go with the accent. What about Gil? His way of speaking also sounds made up to me.

Apparently, he grew up in the UK, and to me his accent seems genuinely English, just deliberately exaggerated to sound snobbish and flamboyant.
PistolPoet

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:47 pm

That was pretty much what I meant by "rich snottiness".
CatNamedRudy

Postby Patrick » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:49 pm

You remember when she says; "I am a STARRR MAKERRR!" she's definitely imitating someone there.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Frasiertime » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:01 pm

Patrick wrote:You remember when she says; "I am a STARRR MAKERRR!" she's definitely imitating someone there.

Yes, and (don't recall the ep) she flutters her eye lashes and says something like "won't you do it for poor little Bebe" - reminds me of an old Bette Davis movie.
Frasiertime

Postby Forever Jung » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:05 pm

:twisted: Her accent sort of reminds me of Winchester from MASH sometimes.
He was from Boston wasn't he?
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:03 am

Forever Jung wrote::twisted: Her accent sort of reminds me of Winchester from MASH sometimes.
He was from Boston wasn't he?

Yes. He sounded like a snob too.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Hawkspur » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:20 am

Thre is a discussion on the accent of Charles Emerson Winchester III here:
http://kenlevine.blogspot.co.nz/2007/10 ... ester.html

Funnily enough, discussion digresses to Cheers at one point...
Hawkspur

Postby Whisper of cinnamon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:03 pm

I always found her accent and manner very reminiscent of Katherine Hepburn, and very 1940s Hollywood in general, which tallies with Pistol Pete's explanation. A very enjoyable performance, in small doses!
Whisper of cinnamon

Postby welshben23 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:18 pm

Whisper of cinnamon wrote:I always found her accent and manner very reminiscent of Katherine Hepburn, and very 1940s Hollywood in general, which tallies with Pistol Pete's explanation. A very enjoyable performance, in small doses!

Pete Sampras? 8-)
welshben23

Postby PistolPoet » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:35 pm

welshben23 wrote:
Whisper of cinnamon wrote:I always found her accent and manner very reminiscent of Katherine Hepburn, and very 1940s Hollywood in general, which tallies with Pistol Pete's explanation. A very enjoyable performance, in small doses!

Pete Sampras? 8-)

:lol: I wish!
PistolPoet

Postby Whisper of cinnamon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:46 pm

:lol: Sorry about getting your name wrong, PistolPoet! I am a big tennis fan, so I guess that explains why I misread it!
Whisper of cinnamon

Postby PistolPoet » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:58 pm

Whisper of cinnamon wrote::lol: Sorry about getting your name wrong, PistolPoet! I am a big tennis fan, so I guess that explains why I misread it!

No problem! It was just funny to me cos I'm a girl :).
PistolPoet

Return to Frasier Discussion