Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Where have you seen them?

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby Patrick » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:18 pm

Cymru1991 wrote:Completley agree re: the great host of guest stars that they had! I realised today that Zoey Deschanel made a guest appearance in series 10. In a way it's strange to see some of these guests who are now established actors in their own right 10 years on!

Small world, she also played a guest role in Veronica's Closet the short lived sitcom starring Kirstie Alley, AKA Rebbecca Howe from Cheers.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby Cymru1991 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:31 pm

Patrick wrote:
Cymru1991 wrote:Completley agree re: the great host of guest stars that they had! I realised today that Zoey Deschanel made a guest appearance in series 10. In a way it's strange to see some of these guests who are now established actors in their own right 10 years on!

Small world, she also played a guest role in Veronica's Closet the short lived sitcom starring Kirstie Alley, AKA Rebbecca Howe from Cheers.


To quote Noel Shempsky: "Will the coincidences never stop?!" :D
Cymru1991
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby Patrick » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Speaking of Rebbecca Howe, the actor who plays her father in Cheers is T.H. Houghton the writer in A Crane's Critique and he also plays Kirstie's father in Veronica's closet. I first saw a few episodes of the latter and when I saw him play her father in Cheers I had a weird feeling of deja vu.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby TheSaneChoice » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:17 am

Cymru1991 wrote:Completley agree re: the great host of guest stars that they had! I realised today that Zoey Deschanel made a guest appearance in series 10. In a way it's strange to see some of these guests who are now established actors in their own right 10 years on!


Yeah, Zooey Deschanel as a blonde. Took me ages to work out it was her.
TheSaneChoice
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:23 pm

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby Roverman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:48 am

Patrick wrote:Speaking of Rebecca Howe, the actor who plays her father in Cheers is T.H. Houghton the writer in A Crane's Critique and he also plays Kirstie's father in Veronica's closet. I first saw a few episodes of the latter and when I saw him play her father in Cheers I had a weird feeling of deja vu.


Robert Prosky was also in Mrs Doubtfire, playing the Film Studio boss Jonathan Lundy who Daniel had a meeting with at the same time Mrs D was eating with the family.
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby welshben23 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:35 pm

Roverman wrote:
Patrick wrote:Speaking of Rebecca Howe, the actor who plays her father in Cheers is T.H. Houghton the writer in A Crane's Critique and he also plays Kirstie's father in Veronica's closet. I first saw a few episodes of the latter and when I saw him play her father in Cheers I had a weird feeling of deja vu.


Robert Prosky was also in Mrs Doubtfire, playing the Film Studio boss Jonathan Lundy who Daniel had a meeting with at the same time Mrs D was eating with the family.


He also played Judge Henry Harper in the 1994 remake of Miracle on 34th Street.
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby Patrick » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:53 pm

welshben23 wrote:...

He also played Judge Henry Harper in the 1994 remake of Miracle on 34th Street.

I also saw him in The Practice, he plays a catholic priest who has one of his congregators die on him while he is performing a mock exorcism in order to (help) cure her schizophrenic delusion that she was possessed. In his zeal he bounded and hit her and left multiple bruises on her body as a result even though what she died of was a heart attack. The lawyer, I forgot his name, of the series regards him as some sort of mentor and bends the laws and his ethics in order to get him out of it.

I thought he was really good as an aged priest victim of his devotion to his role and incapable of deceit... You'd think he really was that priest.

I like that actor.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby Roverman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:16 pm

Sadly Prosky died in 2008 following complication from heart surgery, just short of his 78th birthday. The Practice sounds very good, will try and find it online to watch.
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby frasier floyd » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:26 pm

I think one of Frasier's patients who worries about showing up early because of his anxiety is a character from Grey's Anatomy. It's TR Knight, he plays George O'Malley.
frasier floyd
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:53 pm

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby PistolPoet » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:03 am

frasier floyd wrote:I think one of Frasier's patients who worries about showing up early because of his anxiety is a character from Grey's Anatomy. It's TR Knight, he plays George O'Malley.

Yup, that's him! He's such a teddy bear ^_^.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
User avatar
PistolPoet
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 pm
Location: Serbia

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby freewill » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:28 am

frasier floyd wrote:I think one of Frasier's patients who worries about showing up early because of his anxiety is a character from Grey's Anatomy. It's TR Knight, he plays George O'Malley.


The final patient Frasier sees in that episode, Brad ("That's....not my real name,") is played by Dan Castellaneta, the voice of Homer Simpson.

Actually all of Frasier's patients were pretty well-established names. His other patients were Sarah Silverman and Missi Pyle.
"Your ex-wife is ruining my sex life!"
freewill
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:11 pm

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby welshben23 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:30 am

freewill wrote:
frasier floyd wrote:I think one of Frasier's patients who worries about showing up early because of his anxiety is a character from Grey's Anatomy. It's TR Knight, he plays George O'Malley.


The final patient Frasier sees in that episode, Brad ("That's....not my real name,") is played by Dan Castellaneta, the voice of Homer Simpson.

Actually all of Frasier's patients were pretty well-established names. His other patients were Sarah Silverman
and Missi Pyle.


I can see that you haven't read the bottom half of page 3 of this thread. :lol:
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby freewill » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:33 am

So, somehow I found myself watching "Enough", a 2002 feminist empowerment vehicle starring Jennifer Lopez. Through half the movie, I was trying to figure out where I had seen Billy Campbell, who plays her possessive and abusive husband. Then I realized he also was none other than Dr. Clint Webber, a.k.a "The Perfect Guy". So he can play insufferably congenial and he can play psychopathic creepy.
"Your ex-wife is ruining my sex life!"
freewill
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:11 pm

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby Ariel » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:37 am

freewill wrote:So he can play insufferably congenial and he can play psychopathic creepy.


Sounds like my ex! :mrgreen:
"Love is an awesome force. It can make us do things we never imagined were possible. For you see, we don't actually choose love- it chooses us. And once it has, we are powerless to do anything about it."
User avatar
Ariel
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby Patrick » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:50 pm

Ariel wrote:
freewill wrote:So he can play insufferably congenial and he can play psychopathic creepy.


Sounds like my ex! :mrgreen:

Kinda like Ray Liotta.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:01 pm

Taking a bit of a liberty posting this one to this thread, seeing as it's been about guest stars, but Peri Gilpin turned up in a S2 episode of the sitcom Men At Work that i was watching last night (S2E03). She was playing a successful rival magazine editor who is poached to come work at the company in which the show is based. Looks to be a recurring role (anybody watching in America will know seeing as S2 ended in June).
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby PistolPoet » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:47 pm

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but I'm finally watching Seinfeld again, and there's Jane Leeves in season 4, episode The Virgin, without her Manchester accent, of course, as a virgin closet specialist :).
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
User avatar
PistolPoet
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 pm
Location: Serbia

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby Patrick » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:50 pm

PistolPoet wrote:I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but I'm finally watching Seinfeld again, and there's Jane Leeves in season 4, episode The Virgin, without her Manchester accent, of course, as a virgin closet specialist :).

I've just seen the actress who plays Mrs. Gablyczyck with the thick Slavic accent on another show (the king of Queens) not only does she speak an English without any traces of foreign accent but her demeanor and the way she was dressed made her almost unrecognizable. That’s impressive.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby Frasiertime » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:14 am

The Doctor is Out - S11. Just noticed the role of Alistair is played by Patrick Stewart (Capt. Jean Luc Picard from Star Trek). It's interesting that he appeared on Frasier long after he was a very successful actor. Most of the guest stars were on Frasier before they became famous.
One of the best things about watching Frasier is the rewind button!
Frasiertime
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:40 pm
Location: Chicago USA

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby PistolPoet » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:31 am

I guess that, by season 11, Frasier was big enough to warrant an appearance by Patrick Stewart :).
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
User avatar
PistolPoet
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 pm
Location: Serbia

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby Patrick » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:24 am

Frasiertime wrote:The Doctor is Out - S11. Just noticed the role of Alistair is played by Patrick Stewart (Capt. Jean Luc Picard from Star Trek). It's interesting that he appeared on Frasier long after he was a very successful actor. Most of the guest stars were on Frasier before they became famous.

On other shows like Friends the first appearance of a famous actor is loudly greeted by the public. I don't remember this happening very often on Frasier, if at all.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby Roverman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:03 am

Patrick wrote:
Frasiertime wrote:The Doctor is Out - S11. Just noticed the role of Alistair is played by Patrick Stewart (Capt. Jean Luc Picard from Star Trek). It's interesting that he appeared on Frasier long after he was a very successful actor. Most of the guest stars were on Frasier before they became famous.

On other shows like Friends the first appearance of a famous actor is loudly greeted by the public. I don't remember this happening very often on Frasier, if at all.



I'd forgotten about that! I presume this was not done because Frasier is a bit more high brow than Friends?

Continuing with the 'after they got famous' trend, as well as Patrick Stewart, we also have Derek Jacobi and Patrick Macnee playing father and son in 'The Show must go off'.
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:18 pm

A bunch of other guest stars i can think of who were famous before Frasier are: Amanda Donahoe, Michael Keaton, Brent Spiner, Alan Cummings, Bob Hoskins, Jean Tripplehorn, David Ogden Stiers, Felicity Huffman, any of the Cheers cast members. Probably plenty of others?
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby Patrick » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:25 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:A bunch of other guest stars i can think of who were famous before Frasier are: Amanda Donahoe, Michael Keaton, Brent Spiner, Alan Cummings, Bob Hoskins, Jean Tripplehorn, David Ogden Stiers, Felicity Huffman, any of the Cheers cast members. Probably plenty of others?

Yes, they all performed admirably, even when the episode wasn't that good: The stolen girlfriend, Lilith's evil brother, the pale physicist, the yoga instructor, the gym teacher, the trophy girlfriend, the gay "father", the horrible girlfriend... I remember them all.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby freewill » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:13 am

Patrick wrote:On other shows like Friends the first appearance of a famous actor is loudly greeted by the public. I don't remember this happening very often on Frasier, if at all.


The only instance of this that immediately springs to mind is Ted Danson's appearance in "The Show Where Sam Shows Up". It was directed by Jim Burrows like many early episodes, and he always preferred boisterous audience reactions.
"Your ex-wife is ruining my sex life!"
freewill
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:11 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Frasier Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests


© Site contents are copyright Stuart Lee 1999 - 2021. This is a Frasier fan site and is not affiliated in any way with the program, Grub St Productions, Paramount or NBC.