Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Where have you seen them?

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Re: Where have you seen them?

Postby Patrick » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:15 pm

Frasiertime wrote:...I completely forgot Ann (Julia Sweeney) was from SNL. Those over-exaggerated acting performances are great in SNL skits, but aren't funny in a sitcom. Simon would be funny in SNL skits, but is so annoying on Frasier. Also, the characters of Kirby and Poppey seemed more like SNL skit comedians than sitcom.

Another thing about Julia Sweeney I vaguely remember is she made fun of Chelsea Clinton on SNL and Hillary was not at all amused.

I am sort of a buff of the old SNL shows and I remember the one with Clinton's inauguration... Madonna (as herself) was singing happy inauguration ( the same way Marilyn Monroe sang happy birthday to Kennedy) and in a booth were Clinton, Hilary and Chelsea (I believe it was Julia Sweeney who played her although I am not sure) Madonna kept winking at the booth and (fake) Clinton thought it was him, turns out it was Chelsea. I don't know if it was an implication that Chelsea was gay. I don't follow that kind of thing all that much but the bit was funny enough.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby mebeforee » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:04 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Alan Tudyk, who played internet rich kid, Todd Peterson, in The Great Crane Robbery, turns up in various shows. I remember him appearing in Firefly, Arrested Development and V, amongst others. I think his most recent appearance is as a main character in the sitcom, Suburgatory.

Alan Tudyk was my favorite character on Firefly, I get all warm and fuzzy just thinking about him. He was also in A Knight's Tale, if I remember correctly. And I recently saw him in a film called Beautiful Boy about a family's internal destruction after one of the children goes on a mass shooting spree at his university. Very intense and depressing movie, darker than most of the things I've seen Alan in before, but he was still very good.

It is interesting to me (as an avid film/tv watcher) to see how many faces I recognize. A lot of the guest stars - at least, ones who weren't already noteworthy in their own right - went on to do stuff I've seen.

Also one random actor, the guy who played Daphne's brother Michael Moon (Robbie Coltrane) played Hagrid in the Harry Potter movies. In the episode where Frasier and Niles open the restaurant, Roz's date is played by the same guy who was Oswald on the Drew Carey Show. Lisa Edelstein as Cuddy on House, wonderful in that role. And of course, all the Cheers cameos! Woody was my favorite of those :lol:
mebeforee

Postby mebeforee » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:51 am

Don't forget Tony Shalhoub! He became Adrian Monk, another of my favorite TV protagonists. He's in the episode "The Focus Group" where he plays the only member of the focus study to say he doesn't like Frasier (who then goes to his newsstand and has his dad interrogate him, interrogates him himself, crushes his hand in the pull-down cover and then accidentally sets his newsstand on fire.)
mebeforee

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:28 pm

mebeforee wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Alan Tudyk, who played internet rich kid, Todd Peterson, in The Great Crane Robbery, turns up in various shows. I remember him appearing in Firefly, Arrested Development and V, amongst others. I think his most recent appearance is as a main character in the sitcom, Suburgatory.

Alan Tudyk was my favorite character on Firefly, I get all warm and fuzzy just thinking about him. He was also in A Knight's Tale, if I remember correctly. And I recently saw him in a film called Beautiful Boy about a family's internal destruction after one of the children goes on a mass shooting spree at his university. Very intense and depressing movie, darker than most of the things I've seen Alan in before, but he was still very good.

Great show. That series was killed off way too early.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Patrick » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:46 pm

mebeforee wrote:Don't forget Tony Shalhoub! He became Adrian Monk, another of my favorite TV protagonists. He's in the episode "The Focus Group" where he plays the only member of the focus study to say he doesn't like Frasier (who then goes to his newsstand and has his dad interrogate him, interrogates him himself, crushes his hand in the pull-down cover and then accidentally sets his newsstand on fire.)

Have you seen him in stark raving mad as a kooky author of crime novels? he has an apartment that looks like a book depository and his furniture includes an electric chair, with the helmet on top!
He does all sort of crazy things, like at some point he's convinced that a pigeon is trying to get him for having accidentally pushed its nest from the windowsill. Of a psychic doorman predicts that he'll live to a ripe old age and he starts taking incredible risks like throwing a knife in the air and then putting his head flat on the table, at which point the knife misses his head only by a few centimeters. The he learns that the doorman thinks that forty is a ripe old age. :D
Anyway, he doesn't sound at all like he does on Frasier.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby mebeforee » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:27 pm

Patrick wrote:
mebeforee wrote:Don't forget Tony Shalhoub! He became Adrian Monk, another of my favorite TV protagonists. He's in the episode "The Focus Group" where he plays the only member of the focus study to say he doesn't like Frasier (who then goes to his newsstand and has his dad interrogate him, interrogates him himself, crushes his hand in the pull-down cover and then accidentally sets his newsstand on fire.)

Have you seen him in stark raving mad as a kooky author of crime novels? he has an apartment that looks like a book depository and his furniture includes an electric chair, with the helmet on top!
He does all sort of crazy things, like at some point he's convinced that a pigeon is trying to get him for having accidentally pushed its nest from the windowsill. Of a psychic doorman predicts that he'll live to a ripe old age and he starts taking incredible risks like throwing a knife in the air and then putting his head flat on the table, at which point the knife misses his head only by a few centimeters. The he learns that the doorman thinks that forty is a ripe old age. :D
Anyway, he doesn't sound at all like he does on Frasier.

Yeah, I think on Monk that's his natural accent (I am pretty sure he's American), but I've seen him do a couple of different ones on other shows! On the Frasier episode he has a sorta middle eastern accent. And he plays an Italian character called Antonio Scarpacci in Wings (also hilarious and wonderful)... I don't know accents well so I can't tell if he's glaringly terrible at them or not, but at least he commits! :lol: Also I think Frasier has a cameo on Wings at some point. There were a few Cheers characters that came through the airport there, and Frasier and Lilith were among them, and Cliff also, I think there were a couple others but I can't remember.
mebeforee

Postby mebeforee » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:28 pm

And I haven't seen Stark Raving Mad but now I might have to check it out! He's one of my favorites, very lovable actor :D

Oh man, and it has Neil Patrick Harris also? Now I really need to check it out...
mebeforee

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:10 am

Yes, the "accent" you hear on Monk is how he really sounds. He's an American. In fact, he's a Wisconsin native.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Patrick » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:50 am

mebeforee wrote:And I haven't seen Stark Raving Mad but now I might have to check it out! He's one of my favorites, very lovable actor :D

Oh man, and it has Neil Patrick Harris also? Now I really need to check it out...

Yes and I don't know if he does it on purpose but he sounds just like Niles on this show. It makes me think that he could have been a credible replacement for Niles, just as dick Sargent was a credible replacement for Dick York on Bewitched.

Like at some point in the pigeon episode, the pigeon is high up in the rafters of that tall apartment and it craps on his head and at this moment he reacts just like Niles would, he makes a grimace and whispers "I think I'll have to shave my head." :lol:
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Frasiertime » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:00 am

Rita Wilson who played Frasier's mother and is married to Tom Hanks was on a late night tv show promoting a cd. She's an actress, singer and producer. I've never heard her sing, but I guess she has a cd.
One of the best things about watching Frasier is the rewind button!
Frasiertime

Postby freewill » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:34 am

AnneS wrote:In "Ten Little Indians" the late Brittany Murphy is a student in the play. Another student is Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Tommy Soloman in Third Rock From the Sun).

Joseph G-L also is one of the children in the audience listening to Niles give his germ talk in "Some Assembly Required."

There's no way. "Some Assembly Required" aired in 2003. Joseph Gordon-Levitt had been all-grown-up for several years by then. He also wasn't in "Give Him the Chair" (the episode with the "Ten Little Indians" scene). I think I know which kid you thought was him, but it's not him. You're right about Brittany Murphy, though.
"Your ex-wife is ruining my sex life!"
freewill

Postby ProOperaVoter » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:09 pm

DHP is in the play Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike. He's pretty much the star. Also, I noticed that the man who plays both Penelope Janvier's son and the husband of Niles's girlfriend (Alysson, wasn't it?) has been in a lot of things.
"Sherry, Niles?"
ProOperaVoter

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:33 am

Trevor Einhorn (Freddy) has shown up on a couple episodes of Mad Men this season.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed May 01, 2013 11:59 pm

Just seen Brian Klugman (Kirby) playing a theoretical physicist and intern in a Season 8 Bones episode, The Fact In The Fiction.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu May 02, 2013 2:42 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Just seen Brian Klugman (Kirby) playing a theoretical physicist and intern in a Season 8 Bones episode, The Fact In The Fiction.

He was in an episode of House too. He played a quadriplegic.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Roverman » Sun May 12, 2013 4:42 pm

Was channel hopping earlier and stumbled across a show called 'Warehouse 13' and who do I see playing an old IT prof but Saul Rubinek (Donny). Did you know Saul is almost 65 years old he certainly looks good on it!
Last edited by Roverman on Sun May 12, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman

Postby Patrick » Sun May 12, 2013 6:27 pm

ProOperaVoter wrote:.. Also, I noticed that the man who plays both Penelope Janvier's son and the husband of Niles's girlfriend (Alysson, wasn't it?) has been in a lot of things.

You're mistaken. They are two different actors, Penelope's son is played by john Michael Higgins and Allison's Husband is played by James Harper. I am surprised that you think they are the same, I find them quite different.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Ariel » Sun May 12, 2013 10:36 pm

Roverman wrote:Was channel hopping earlier and stumbled across a show called 'Warehouse 13' and who do I see playing an old IT prof but Saul Rubinek (Donny). Did you know Saul is almost 65 years old he certainly looks good on it!

Really - I didn't know he was that old - I have seen him in several sci fi programmes ( my other passion!)
"Love is an awesome force. It can make us do things we never imagined were possible. For you see, we don't actually choose love- it chooses us. And once it has, we are powerless to do anything about it."
Ariel

Postby Roverman » Sun May 12, 2013 11:40 pm

He's dropped a few pounds from his Donny days but even back then he didn't look like he was 50+!
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman

Postby Cymru1991 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:19 pm

I notice that Laurie Metcalf (Nannette/ 'Nanny G') and Christine Baranski (Dr Nora) both have recurring roles in Big Bang Theory as Mrs Cooper and Dr Beverly Hofstadter respectively. Seems strange to see them playing completley different roles to the ones the played in Frasier :)
Cymru1991

Postby Frasiertime » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:51 pm

Maris Returns: 11-7 Recently noticed comedienne Sarah Silverman is in this episode.

She is one of Frasier's new patient's who remembers he once dated her sister. She tells Frasier her sister told the family he called her "M'Lady" while they were having sex and it soon became a family joke. The women started calling each other M'Lady and her aunt even named her cat M'Lady. It was a pretty funny bit and Silverman did a good job. :cat:
Frasiertime

Postby Patrick » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:20 pm

Frasiertime wrote:Maris Returns: 11-7 Recently noticed comedienne Sarah Silverman is in this episode.

She is one of Frasier's new patient's who remembers he once dated her sister. She tells Frasier her sister told the family he called her "M'Lady" while they were having sex and it soon became a family joke. The women started calling each other M'Lady and her aunt even named her cat M'Lady. It was a pretty funny bit and Silverman did a good job. :cat:

Actually, all the patients of Frasier that day were familiar to me and even the temp. Let see, the temp, I saw her on Cheers as Valery Hill the Daughter of John Allen Hill, Sam's nemesis who keeps humiliating him again and again. Sam seduces her and when she realizes that her father is not forbidding her going out with Sam, she decides that she finds Sam obnoxious and jilts him. Sam's ploy to get Hill backfires and he ends up humiliated once again...

The patient who complains about being ignored by the rest of the world plays the girlfriend and then wife of Captain Sisko on DS9, in many episodes of the series.

The patient who complains that men only see her body and ends up thinking that Frasier is a perv. Plays a chef on Friends who dates Ross once and is creeped out by his over-whitened teeth.

The guy who gets there in advance and leaves immediately is familiar but I can't remember where I saw him.

The M'Lady girl also played a character on Voyager for one episode, but if you've never seen the series there's no need to go into details.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby welshben23 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:38 pm

Patrick wrote:
Frasiertime wrote:Maris Returns: 11-7 Recently noticed comedienne Sarah Silverman is in this episode.

Actually, all the patients of Frasier that day were familiar to me and even the temp. Let see, the temp, I saw her on Cheers as Valery Hill the Daughter of John Allen Hill, Sam's nemesis who keeps humiliating him again and again. Sam seduces her and when she realizes that her father is not forbidding her going out with Sam, she decides that she finds Sam obnoxious and jilts him. Sam's ploy to get Hill backfires and he ends up humiliated once again...

The patient who complains about being ignored by the rest of the world plays the girlfriend and then wife of Captain Sisko on DS9, in many episodes of the series.

The patient who complains that men only see her body and ends up thinking that Frasier is a perv. Plays a chef on Friends who dates Ross once and is creeped out by his over-whitened teeth.

The guy who gets there in advance and leaves immediately is familiar but I can't remember where I saw him.

The M'Lady girl also played a character on Voyager for one episode, but if you've never seen the series there's no need to go into details.

Brad? He's the most recognisable one of the lot for me, it's Dan Castellaneta who is the voice of Homer Simpson. The patient who complains about being ignored by the rest of the world also played the Wife of President David Palmer in Seasons 1-3 of 24.
welshben23

Postby Frasiertime » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:00 pm

welshben23 wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Brad? He's the most recognisable one of the lot for me, it's Dan Castellaneta who is the voice of Homer Simpson. The patient who complains about being ignored by the rest of the world also played the Wife of President David Palmer in Seasons 1-3 of 24.

There certainly were some great guest stars on Frasier. I don't recall any other comedy series that had as many good actors in guest spots.
Frasiertime

Postby Cymru1991 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:02 pm

Completley agree re: the great host of guest stars that they had! I realised today that Zoey Deschanel made a guest appearance in series 10. In a way it's strange to see some of these guests who are now established actors in their own right 10 years on!
Cymru1991

PreviousNext

Return to Frasier Discussion