Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Worst Episode of Frasier Ever

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

The Worst Episode of Frasier Ever

Postby eoinmolloy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:39 pm

I know I love Frasier with all my heart but one episode that struck me as just a boring episode was Season 9, "Sharing Kirby". Funny at parts but just an uneventful story-line. So I ask you, what - in your own honest opinion - was your worst episode of Frasier ever!
Eoin Molloy
eoinmolloy

Re: The Worst Episode of Frasier Ever

Postby mickeba » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:02 pm

This is a dangerous road to go down.
"It's always darkest, just before it goes totally black!"
mickeba

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:10 pm

Some Assembly Required.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:11 pm

Well I know what Mickeba's answer is! :lol:

To me there is no question that it's A New Position for Roz. It's one of the very few episodes that I have a very difficult time watching!
Last edited by CatNamedRudy on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby eoinmolloy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:17 pm

mickeba wrote:This is a dangerous road to go down.

Is this actually an episode? :? Yes "A New Position For Ros" is hard to watch!
Eoin Molloy
eoinmolloy

Postby mickeba » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:34 pm

No Eoin Molloy, it's not an episode. This is a dangerous discussion to have as there will be many great disputes on some of these episodes. "Room full of Heroes" is clearly the worst for me.
mickeba

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:06 am

I agree with MC that Some Assembly Required is a horrible episode. It would definitely be included in a "worst of" list!
CatNamedRudy

Postby mickeba » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:31 am

That's actually worse than "Room full of Heroes". It's so uncomfortable to watch, and really accentuates negative aspects of the personality of Frasier Crane.
mickeba

Postby Murphy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:04 pm

It's a tough one. "A New Position for Roz" is crazy bad and "Motor Skills" is painfully bad but ... I'm gonna have to go with "Some Assembly Required" because it's painfully, crazy, sickeningly bad and I don't think I'll ever bother watching it again.
Murphy

Postby tenpercenter » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:19 pm

whatever the one where daphne teaches martin and niles to build a table and frasier and lorna sell the house.

YYAAAWWNNN!!!!
so lame.
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby Dr Arnold Shaw » Wed May 16, 2012 2:41 pm

I thought Forgotten But Not Gone was horrendous and I didn't smile once. Was just the most forced and contrived episode ever with some ridiculously hammy acting.
Dr Arnold Shaw

Postby mickeba » Wed May 16, 2012 11:05 pm

There's not many that fit this bill, no matter how we disagree on what's worst. And for an 11 year veteran, that's pretty damn good.
mickeba

Postby Allystare » Thu May 17, 2012 8:12 am

I don't know why there is all this hate surrounding Room full of Heroes and Some Assembly Required and Motor Skills. Granted they don't show our much beloved Frasier and Niles in the best of light, so we tend to dislike it(kind of like how we dislike the later Daphne because she isn't as loveable anymore). Still, the great part about the show is that despite their education, sophistication, wealth, arguably good looks and characters, Frasier and Niles are very much human and they tend to err. I mean I am not saying those were some of the best episodes ever, they are decent at best, but hardly the worst. Though, I should say I did enjoy Niles' impression of Martin. I think that is what makes the show rather special, it casts a rather wholesome and complete picture of the characters, they have their triumphs and their failures. Those three episodes highlight certain tendencies we all knew were always there. In Room full of heroes, the latent shame that the boys have for not living up to Martin's perceived expectations mixed with the characteristic indirect approach, pomposity is brought out as Niles tries to project his own schema of what he thinks Martin thinks of the boys out. At the same time, while we all know that Martin is by no means a wine-loving, opera-watching kind of dad, he is still very much supportive and proud of his boys. In Some Assembly Required, we get to see Frasier's obsessive tendencies for control, a need to help, and sense of superiority(towards common people) come out. In Motor skills, once again we see Nile's and Frasier in a rather desperate attempt to be normal and live up to hetero-normative/manly standards. At the same time we see the sort of dismissive jerks they can be(with their sophistication and background) towards the teacher. In the end we also see the somewhat comedic abandonment of their morals/ethics(which usually happens) when they buy the fake certificates.

I mean, are these the best episodes? Nope. Would I watch them again? Probably not. But I don't think they are necessarily the worst. I think for a show like Frasier, which is incredibly well written, I think it offers a complete picture of the characters, for those who are interested any ways.
Allystare

Postby tenpercenter » Thu May 17, 2012 11:51 am

im watching s3 and one the worst ever has jsut gone by

Its hard to say goodbye if you wont leave

Im glad that she played that boss character as tough because in this ep when she turns soft and goofy, god its like the screen is melting. and the quotes from casablanca, i just htink the show is smarter than that.
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu May 17, 2012 11:55 am

Allystare wrote:I don't know why there is all this hate surrounding Room full of Heroes and Some Assembly Required and Motor Skills. Granted they don't show our much beloved Frasier and Niles in the best of light, so we tend to dislike it(kind of like how we dislike the later Daphne because she isn't as loveable anymore). Still, the great part about the show is that despite their education, sophistication, wealth, arguably good looks and characters, Frasier and Niles are very much human and they tend to err. I mean I am not saying those were some of the best episodes ever, they are decent at best, but hardly the worst. Though, I should say I did enjoy Niles' impression of Martin. I think that is what makes the show rather special, it casts a rather wholesome and complete picture of the characters, they have their triumphs and their failures. Those three episodes highlight certain tendencies we all knew were always there. In Room full of heroes, the latent shame that the boys have for not living up to Martin's perceived expectations mixed with the characteristic indirect approach, pomposity is brought out as Niles tries to project his own schema of what he thinks Martin thinks of the boys out. At the same time, while we all know that Martin is by no means a wine-loving, opera-watching kind of dad, he is still very much supportive and proud of his boys. In Some Assembly Required, we get to see Frasier's obsessive tendencies for control, a need to help, and sense of superiority(towards common people) come out. In Motor skills, once again we see Nile's and Frasier in a rather desperate attempt to be normal and live up to hetero-normative/manly standards. At the same time we see the sort of dismissive jerks they can be(with their sophistication and background) towards the teacher. In the end we also see the somewhat comedic abandonment of their morals/ethics(which usually happens) when they buy the fake certificates.

I mean, are these the best episodes? Nope. Would I watch them again? Probably not. But I don't think they are necessarily the worst. I think for a show like Frasier, which is incredibly well written, I think it offers a complete picture of the characters, for those who are interested any ways.

It's the writing of Some Assembly Required that i dislike, not Frasier's personality in it - otherwise i'd expect to dislike episodes such as They're Playing Our Song, Ham Radio, Chess Pains and The Focus Group as well. They all basically involve Frasier thinking he's better/knows better than anyone else how to do something - to an obsessive degree. I like all those others i've mentioned, though.

There's just something way off whack in the feel of the episode as a whole. It's still my least favourite, but if you want to list three episodes you'd place below it then i'm open to being convinced! :D
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu May 17, 2012 12:44 pm

For me it's his personality in Some Assembly Required. I just want to slap the shit out of him. It's a different kind of annoying than other episodes. Though it is similar to his annoyingness in The Focus Group. (I don't mind that one though because I adore Tony Shaloub).

Also, there is very little hate for Room Full of Heroes on this board. It comes mostly from Mickeba and it has nothing to do with Frasier's personality. Mickeba hates Niles in that episode.
CatNamedRudy

Postby tgirl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:26 pm

I think the most boring episodes are:
- A Tsar is born: Apart from the drinking game (VANEER!) the whole episode just doesn't appeal to me, I tend to skip over it when watching Season 7 which has many other excellent and better episodes.

- RDWRER Just a disappointing episode with a lack of energy, especially after the two brilliant episodes before it(Back Talk and The Fight Before Christmas.

- The Return of Martin Crane A Season 9 episode I tend to skip because it is thorougly boring.

I would say my least favourite episode is Enemy at the Gate apart from the beginning with Niles being worried that the bird Daphne would find someone more birdly that Niles and the joke at the end, when I first saw it I thought it was just a big snore to be honest.
FlEsH Is BuRnINg NaNanAnANanA
tgirl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:30 pm

I disagree with you RDWRER and A Tsar is Born but definitely not on the other two. I can't stand The Return of Martin Crane. The entire subplot with Eddie is just too incredibly stupid and I really dislike Enemy at the Gate. I want to punch Frasier in the face for most of it.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Emil » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:07 pm

Well, what do you know? :o Motor skills and RDWRER are among my favourites - hilarious plots; nice Frasier-Niles interaction in the former and nice mix-up comedy in the latter. Really, these are among the eps that I watch most often.
I side with mickeba; the worst is Room full of heroes because of the sad figure that a drunk Niles makes. And also because Daphne is so out-of-character stupid in that ep. Frasier is stupid as well. And because there are no laughs.
Emil

Postby Patrick » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:20 pm

Funny that no one has listed Slow Tango In South Seattle, an incredibly dull and uninteresting episode. I mean it felt like watching old people walk in the park.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:51 pm

I don't like Slow Tango either. Definitely dull.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Eddie2012 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:46 pm

Really? A Tsar is Born? I quite like this one. I think their embarrassment towards their real family closely followed by the joy at the prospect of possibly belonging to royalty is right up Frasier’s alley and the short subplot with Daphne’s ’68 wedding dress is very nice as well :).

I also like RDWRER. It find it a decent enough plot and it is always funny to see Niles outside the comfort zone of his pompous home. Plus it focussed on Frasier when the show threatened to turn into The Niles & Daphne Show :P.

There are many episodes I don’t like, especially from S8 and 9, and while I frequently change my mind, I found two I would happily wipe from my CD collection:

Wheels of Fortune: I hate preachers preying on the minds of the desperate and naïve, I found it implausible how everyone, including Niles, fell for the brother’s cheap tricks and found it awful how everyone was dismissing Frasier, who seemed to be the only one who had not completely lost his mind (and, of course, was right in the end). I don’t even remember the subplot, if there even was one, but I'll happily sacrifice that, as long as I don’t have to see the soddin’ main plot again. How this was described as ‘hugely funny’ on this site is beyond me :evil:.

Frasier Lite: Pointless, devoid of somewhat intelligent fun, an ill fitting Frasier theme, embarrassing to watch the crew stuffing their faces with junk food before the diet and crawling on the floor picking up crumbles, Roz’ cutting of her hair is ridiculous, and I find the subplot with the bird repeatedly being hurt badly and eventually being killed by Eddie really quite sickening… (incidentally, that goes in general for Martin’s joy over Eddie killing smaller animals) :cry:.
Eddie2012

Postby Patrick » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Eddie2012 wrote:Wheels of Fortune: I hate preachers preying on the minds of the desperate and naïve, I found it implausible how everyone, including Niles, fell for the brother’s cheap tricks and found it awful how everyone was dismissing Frasier, who seemed to be the only one who had not completely lost his mind (and, of course, was right in the end). I don’t even remember the subplot, if there even was one, but I'll happily sacrifice that, as long as I don’t have to see the soddin’ main plot again. How this was described as ‘hugely funny’ on this site is beyond me :evil:.

I don't think there even was a subplot.
Frasier Lite: Pointless, devoid of somewhat intelligent fun, an ill fitting Frasier theme, embarrassing to watch the crew stuffing their faces with junk food before the diet and crawling on the floor picking up crumbles, Roz’ cutting of her hair is ridiculous, and I find the subplot with the bird repeatedly being hurt badly and eventually being killed by Eddie really quite sickening… (incidentally, that goes in general for Martin’s joy over Eddie killing smaller animals) :cry:.

I didn't like that episode either. Roz cutting her hair, was idiotic to the extreme. I mean it wasn't even timed properly, it's like the host lady was waiting for something to happen. Dumb, dumb, dumb!
Plus it's like the other team didn't even care. you'd expect them to cry foul after a trick like that!
Last edited by Patrick on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby PistolPoet » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:43 pm

Eddie2012 wrote:Wheels of Fortune: I hate preachers preying on the minds of the desperate and naïve, I found it implausible how everyone, including Niles, fell for the brother’s cheap tricks and found it awful how everyone was dismissing Frasier, who seemed to be the only one who had not completely lost his mind (and, of course, was right in the end). I don’t even remember the subplot, if there even was one, but I'll happily sacrifice that, as long as I don’t have to see the soddin’ main plot again. How this was described as ‘hugely funny’ on this site is beyond me :evil:.

Of course, everyone with a functioning mind hates preachers like Blaine, but I also hate snobs like Frasier and Niles, old-fashioned bigots like Martin (sometimes) etc. but I put up with their annoying behaviour for the sake of comedy, so I didn't mind Blaine, especially cos I think Michael Keaton did a great job. I do agree that it was implausible that everyone bought his lies, most of all that moment when Daphne's voice quivers because she's so moved, I really don't think Daphne would be that naive.

Completely agree about Frasier Lite, and I hate how they portrayed my beloved Roz. I don't think she'd ever mislead poor Noel like that, flirting with him just for the sake of some stupid competition.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby Patrick » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:48 pm

PistolPoet wrote:...Completely agree about Frasier Lite, and I hate how they portrayed my beloved Roz. I don't think she'd ever mislead poor Noel like that, flirting with him just for the sake of some stupid competition.

Oh yeah, she was a total bitch on that one, worthy of the worst ones we've encountered on the show.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Next

Return to Frasier Discussion