Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

What Happened To THAT Accent?

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Re: What Happened To THAT Accent?

Postby Patrick » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:02 pm

heartofmotion wrote:
her (Jane Leeves) accent would've changed in real life the longer she stayed in the US

Ironic that she still speaks with a perfect English accent although she's lived in the US for years!

You can say the accents don't matter, and in the greater scheme they probably don't, but it's still a reflection on the quality of a show and it's not so hard to get it right. We would think more of the show, and the characters involved, if the Daphne family accents were realistic. If David Lee is not bothered about it, to me it's just another indication that complacency was starting to creep in from season 8 onwards.

I remember hearing of a young American actress that learned an Irish accent specially for a movie by taking hours of lessons by experts. I wonder if she was able to fool the locals though.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:19 am

heartofmotion wrote:
her (Jane Leeves) accent would've changed in real life the longer she stayed in the US

Ironic that she still speaks with a perfect English accent although she's lived in the US for years!

You can say the accents don't matter, and in the greater scheme they probably don't, but it's still a reflection on the quality of a show and it's not so hard to get it right. We would think more of the show, and the characters involved, if the Daphne family accents were realistic. If David Lee is not bothered about it, to me it's just another indication that complacency was starting to creep in from season 8 onwards.

I'll bet you large amounts of cash that British shows do the exact same thing with America accents. Nobody does regional accents correctly and there are NUMEROUS shows that have the characters in the same family speaking different regional accents. Even in US shows this is true. The only member of the Cheers cast that even comes close to having a Boston accent is Cliff. The characters on Friends and Seinfeld don't sound anything like typical New Yorkers to me. It isn't lazy. It's just the way it is.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby PistolPoet » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:26 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:
heartofmotion wrote:

I'll bet you large amounts of cash that British shows do the exact same thing with America accents. Nobody does regional accents correctly and there are NUMEROUS shows that have the characters in the same family speaking different regional accents. Even in US shows this is true. The only member of the Cheers cast that even comes close to having a Boston accent is Cliff. The characters on Friends and Seinfeld don't sound anything like typical New Yorkers to me. It isn't lazy. It's just the way it is.

Yeah, as annoying or ignorant actors can seem when they don't have the right accent, these are still sitcoms we're talking about, not exactly method acting. Spending a big amount of time (and money, I guess) in order to learn a particular accent probably just isn't worth it, especially when, even with a certain amount of coaching, I suppose some actors just don't have an ear for accents and end up with a Dick van Dyke type of monstrosity.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby heartofmotion » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:16 am

So, rather than showing the lack of casting expertise and attention to detail, why not just bring in one sibling for Daphne and an obnoxious mother who's there for the wedding and then buggers off and lets Daphne get on with her life! Maybe then the Daphne character wouldn't have gone into freefall.

And we all know Frasier isn't just a sitcom!
heartofmotion

Previous

Return to Frasier Discussion