Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Ottersan Painting

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Ottersan Painting

Postby Kittysafe » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:48 am

The gorgeous Ottersan painting from the set of Fraiser original being in a museum and reproductions cost hundreds of dollars, so tonight I painted my own...

There's a little work I want to do on the leaves and branches and bordering still.

Kittysafe

Re: Ottersan Painting

Postby Karin » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:06 pm

Looks great!
One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years. - Thomas Wolfe
Karin

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:09 pm

Yeah, that's really good KS :)
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:28 pm

Superb, it will look great on your wall.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Kittysafe » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:05 pm

Kittysafe

Postby Lil » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:23 am

Beautiful job!
Lil

Postby Kittysafe » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:49 am

Here's a little test framing I did tonight.

Kittysafe

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:21 pm

Looking good. I've always preferred the reproduction version that you've based your copy on over the actual original painting used in S1. Always been interested to know more about this Otterson(sp?) artist, though, as there seems to be bugger all about him on the internet. Sites just seem to copy the same snippet of information related to that painting without pointing to any source.

I've found a Heinz Otterson and a John E otterson who match the time frame but not so much the style. The style looks closer to Frederick Lund Otteson ( no 'r') but someone around here may know who it is. I've never found a site relating information about the painting say anything but "the painting is an Otterson from 1939. the original is owned by Thomas Fey blah blah blah..." as if they're telling us something useful.

I emailed the guy who supposedly painted the reproduction for the set a couple of years ago but never received a reply.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Kittysafe » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:18 pm

It's John Otterson, here's another example of his art
http://www.zazzle.com/my_otterson_mousepad-144137358938362445

If you weren't aware, the piece that I reproduced is not simply two vases,
but a male (left) represented by the leaves, and the female (right)
represented by the shapely breasts.

I called the Thomas Fay at Art & Artifacts in Los Angeles which allegedly owns
the original painting, to ask them for the artist's first name, hopefully they
will call me back.
Kittysafe

Postby Kittysafe » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Okay I was wrong. The gallery which holds the original painting finally got back to me. He was in France, I was so glad he called me back!
The artist is Jack Otterson, and he was an ex-patriot.
Kittysafe

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:00 pm

Kittysafe wrote:Okay I was wrong. The gallery which holds the original painting finally got back to me. He was in France, I was so glad he called me back!

Interesting. I'd previously found a Jack Otterson who was a Hollywood Art Director between the 1930s-50s - and he had a fine art background. But he was born in Pittsburgh so seems unlikely to be him if he was an expatriate.

I'm amazed that this painting is relatively popular, yet there are no real details about the painting or the painter online. If i was the gallery that owned the orignal i'd have every detail about the painting listed to drive traffic to my site. They must take the Crane boy restaurant owning approach to their gallery business.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:27 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Kittysafe wrote:Okay I was wrong. The gallery which holds the original painting finally got back to me. He was in France, I was so glad he called me back!

Interesting. I'd previously found a Jack Otterson who was a Hollywood Art Director between the 1930s-50s - and he had a fine art background. But he was born in Pittsburgh so seems unlikely to be him if he was an expatriate.

I'm amazed that this painting is relatively popular, yet there are no real details about the painting or the painter online. If i was the gallery that owned the orignal i'd have every detail about the painting listed to drive traffic to my site. They must take the Crane boy restaurant owning approach to their gallery business.

:lol:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby arttchr98 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:31 pm

I found your discussion while doing my own search for information on John "Jack" E Otterson. Perhaps I can clear some information up for both of you. Although I was unfamiliar with the fact that Mr. Otterson did this painting I am very familiar with Mr. Otterson. I was blessed to know this wonderful man and saddened that so little can be found on or about his life. When I was in high school the was a program where people who had become masters in their trade could teach for 2 years in the public schools in California. I lived in a rural area outside of LA and there were many prominent people from the film industry that lived there. For this reason they had the connections to bring in some amazing people to teach us (and their children). My sophomore year they built our new Agoura High School and I fought hard to be allowed to transfer there. I had always love art, but not like I was about to love it. We walked into our class and met Mr. Otterson. At the time we were unaware of his background and he was very humble about it. He was all of ours "Grandfather." In years to come we began to know his mark he made in the history of film. He would drive a long distance to teach us. From what I remember he was childless and we were his kids. This man changed my life and I went on to getting a degree in art. At first I was trying to get a degree in Fashion, but later turned to Education. I recently retired but almost everyday I would stop and think, how would Mr. O have taught this. After HS Mr. Otterson would send us {His Kids} copies of papers he wrote on Art. No matter where I was these huge envelopes with upwards of 50 pages would show up in my mailbox. He always seemed to keep up with what we were doing. Unfortunately he had passed from this world by the time I started teaching. I always wonder if he was there with me in my classroom. I pray I made him proud.
arttchr98

Postby tenpercenter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:18 am

" you gave birth to it!"

(btw you have my toothbrush!)
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:43 am

arttchr98 wrote:I found your discussion while doing my own search for information on John "Jack" E Otterson. Perhaps I can clear some information up for both of you. Although I was unfamiliar with the fact that Mr. Otterson did this painting I am very familiar with Mr. Otterson. I was blessed to know this wonderful man and saddened that so little can be found on or about his life. When I was in high school the was a program where people who had become masters in their trade could teach for 2 years in the public schools in California. I lived in a rural area outside of LA and there were many prominent people from the film industry that lived there. For this reason they had the connections to bring in some amazing people to teach us (and their children). My sophomore year they built our new Agoura High School and I fought hard to be allowed to transfer there. I had always love art, but not like I was about to love it. We walked into our class and met Mr. Otterson. At the time we were unaware of his background and he was very humble about it. He was all of ours "Grandfather." In years to come we began to know his mark he made in the history of film. He would drive a long distance to teach us. From what I remember he was childless and we were his kids. This man changed my life and I went on to getting a degree in art. At first I was trying to get a degree in Fashion, but later turned to Education. I recently retired but almost everyday I would stop and think, how would Mr. O have taught this. After HS Mr. Otterson would send us {His Kids} copies of papers he wrote on Art. No matter where I was these huge envelopes with upwards of 50 pages would show up in my mailbox. He always seemed to keep up with what we were doing. Unfortunately he had passed from this world by the time I started teaching. I always wonder if he was there with me in my classroom. I pray I made him proud.

D'oh, how did i miss this post last month? That's great. If you ever come back on the site, did you ever find any useful online resources?

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Northcomet97 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:58 am

arttchr98 wrote:I found your discussion while doing my own search for information on John "Jack" E Otterson. Perhaps I can clear some information up for both of you. Although I was unfamiliar with the fact that Mr. Otterson did this painting I am very familiar with Mr. Otterson. I was blessed to know this wonderful man and saddened that so little can be found on or about his life. When I was in high school the was a program where people who had become masters in their trade could teach for 2 years in the public schools in California. I lived in a rural area outside of LA and there were many prominent people from the film industry that lived there. For this reason they had the connections to bring in some amazing people to teach us (and their children). My sophomore year they built our new Agoura High School and I fought hard to be allowed to transfer there. I had always love art, but not like I was about to love it. We walked into our class and met Mr. Otterson. At the time we were unaware of his background and he was very humble about it. He was all of ours "Grandfather." In years to come we began to know his mark he made in the history of film. He would drive a long distance to teach us. From what I remember he was childless and we were his kids. This man changed my life and I went on to getting a degree in art. At first I was trying to get a degree in Fashion, but later turned to Education. I recently retired but almost everyday I would stop and think, how would Mr. O have taught this. After HS Mr. Otterson would send us {His Kids} copies of papers he wrote on Art. No matter where I was these huge envelopes with upwards of 50 pages would show up in my mailbox. He always seemed to keep up with what we were doing. Unfortunately he had passed from this world by the time I started teaching. I always wonder if he was there with me in my classroom. I pray I made him proud.

I need to talk to you! I am curating a retrospective exhibition celebrating the illustrious art career of John E. "Jack" Otterson, Jr... your art teacher! The exhibition is set to run Oct 25 - Nov 8, 2013, in Orange County, CA. The Opening Reception is Oct. 25. I have had extensive email and computer trouble with this site over the last year and have been desperate to reach you this entire time. I finally got in here at the zero hour. I hope, hope, hope you come back on this site and you see this! What you wrote about Mr. O moves my partner and me to tears because we feel that only you know better than we do how incredible Mr. O was. Not only do we want to hear your memories of him, you very much deserve to be at this exhibition and tribute. Fingers crossed I hear from you soon!

** I have been studying John E. "Jack" Otterson, Jr (former Supervising Art Director at Universal Pictures) for a year now and have found no reference to this painting on "Frasier" as being his. He was not an expat. Conversely, he was a proud Veteran of the United States Army Air Corps (WWII service in the South Pacific; buried as "Staff Sgt John E. Otterson Jr"). He was also a prolific fine artist, but this painting is not really his style so I don't think it's his. I also tried to contact Thomas Fey to no avail for confirmation.
Northcomet97

Return to Frasier Discussion