Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

What irritates you about 'Frasier'?

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

What irritates you about 'Frasier'?

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:26 pm

We've got lots of threads discussing how great Frasier is, and clearly we all like the series, otherwise we wouldn't be on this board! But is there anything that irritates you about it? Mannerisms of the characters, storylines... anything really?
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Re: What irritates you about 'Frasier'?

Postby ck_psy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:35 pm

great thread!

umm.. the biggest thing would be..

Bob Bulldog Briscoe..
especially his 'SOMEBODY STOLE MY [item] THIS STINKS THIS IS TOTAL BS!! ' oh here it is'
it was funny ONCE, and then it just got old for the however many times he said it again
Set your phasers on stunning!
ck_psy

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:37 pm

ck_psy wrote:umm.. the biggest thing would be..

Bob Bulldog Briscoe..
especially his 'SOMEBODY STOLE MY [item] THIS STINKS THIS IS TOTAL BS!! ' oh here it is'
it was funny ONCE, and then it just got old for the however many times he said it again

:lol:

I could see why that would be annoying, but personally I quite like Bulldog. I love the way he gets into a complete rage about something, then finds that he was mistaken, calms down straight away and just carries on as if nothing's happened. :lol:

If we're talking about annoying characters, then Gil is the one I'd pick, without a doubt! Just everything about him... every word he says winds me up, the way he speaks, too. Bleurgh.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby ck_psy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:39 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:

Bob Bulldog Briscoe..

I could see why that would be annoying, but personally I quite like Bulldog. I love the way he gets into a complete rage about something, then finds that he was mistaken, calms down straight away and just carries on as if nothing's happened. :lol:

If we're talking about annoying characters, then Gil is the one I'd pick, without a doubt! Just everything about him... every word he says winds me up, the way he speaks, too. Bleurgh.

:O
he's hilarious!!.
along with the trekkie Noel Shempsky =]

another thing that annoyed me a bit was how Roz was meant to be this 'really sexy women'
i don't find her attractive at all
ck_psy

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:41 pm

ck_psy wrote::O
he's hilarious!!.

Hehe, yeah, I know I'm in the minority with my aversion to Gil!

I like Noel though. I've seen the actor, Patrick Kerr, in a few other shows, and he quite often plays the same sort of character. In Third Rock from the Sun, he played a geeky guy who'd suddenly got a hot girlfriend but didn't seem surprised. :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby ck_psy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:53 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
ck_psy wrote::O
he's hilarious!!.

Hehe, yeah, I know I'm in the minority with my aversion to Gil!

I like Noel though. I've seen the actor, Patrick Kerr, in a few other shows, and he quite often plays the same sort of character. In Third Rock from the Sun, he played a geeky guy who'd suddenly got a hot girlfriend but didn't seem surprised. :lol:

yep
noel's great!
ck_psy

Postby barnaclelapse » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:02 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:

Bob Bulldog Briscoe..

That's my big one, too.

I still wish Vincent Price had been alive at the time they developed that character. He would have been ****ing brilliant (especially since he was something of a culinary expert himself).
barnaclelapse

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:08 pm

barnaclelapse wrote:I still wish Vincent Price had been alive at the time they developed that character. He would have been ****ing brilliant (especially since he was something of a culinary expert himself).

I'm not familiar with him, but I've just looked him up and it looks like he was pretty suave and handsome in his day!
Dorset Girl

Postby Daphne K » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:16 pm

The only thing that annoys me about Frasier is the fact that he's so smart but doesn't seem to get himself out of a difficulty when the answer is so simple.
I can't think of an example right now but I hope you understand what I mean.

Ok, it's the reason why he gets himself in so much trouble and why the series is so hilarous, so I will forgive. But it also often seems to be a small incorrectness in the writing of the show.
You can fool them, but you can't fool me!
Daphne K

Postby barnaclelapse » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:33 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
barnaclelapse wrote:I still wish Vincent Price had been alive at the time they developed that character. He would have been ****ing brilliant (especially since he was something of a culinary expert himself).

I'm not familiar with him, but I've just looked him up and it looks like he was pretty suave and handsome in his day!

You didn't know who Vincent Price was?!
barnaclelapse

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:36 pm

barnaclelapse wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:

You didn't know who Vincent Price was?!

Nope, sorry. I've seen very few films, and I hardly watch TV at all.
Dorset Girl

Postby AlexT » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:48 pm

Great question. And the answer is: Pretty much any Moon...... except Daphne of course.

Just my opinion, but when you introduce characters who are brash, boorish and irritating - you have to make sure they aren't irritating the hell out of the audience too! It can be done - like with Bulldog - but those Moons... it just seem like they've come from another sitcom (one where people speak with really strange accents!).

Simon is bearable in 'Dark Side of the Moon' but soon outstays his welcome (and not just in Frasier's apartment). What's really weird is I saw the actor playing him in a film called Lanata, and he was amazing! Just mis-cast in a thankless role in my humble opinion. I can't actually believe he got an Emmy for this part...
AlexT

Postby AlexT » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:51 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
ck_psy wrote:If we're talking about annoying characters, then Gil is the one I'd pick, without a doubt! Just everything about him... every word he says winds me up, the way he speaks, too. Bleurgh.

ps. Chesty?! How could you? Just for that, I hope he's starring in one of your midnight movies very soon....

Actually, no I don't. I wouldn't wish that nightmare on anyone!
AlexT

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:57 pm

Hah! And there I was, about to agree with you over the Moons, until I read your next post. ;)
Dorset Girl

Postby AlexT » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:06 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Hah! And there I was, about to agree with you over the Moons, until I read your next post. ;)

Sorry! It wasn't that mean. I could have even suggested what the dream would be to plant ideas in your head, if I'd wanted to be really cruel....

....say; imagine Gil sitting on your lap in a karaoke bar crooning out 'Hey Big Spender'. Now there's an image that would have stayed with you. But obviously I didn't do that. I'm not that unfair.

Uhhh. I wouldn't have any cheese before you go to sleep tonight...
AlexT

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:10 pm

AlexT wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:Hah! And there I was, about to agree with you over the Moons, until I read your next post. ;)

Sorry! It wasn't that mean. I could have even suggested what the dream would be to plant ideas in your head, if I'd wanted to be really cruel....

....say; imagine Gil sitting on your lap in a karaoke bar crooning out 'Hey Big Spender'. Now there's an image that would have stayed with you. But obviously I didn't do that. I'm not that unfair.

Argh, luckily I predicted that sentence would be a suggested dream scenario, and managed not to read it. All I saw was the word 'karaoke', and I love karaoke. :D
Dorset Girl

Postby AlexT » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
AlexT wrote:

Argh, luckily I predicted that sentence would be a suggested dream scenario, and managed not to read it. All I saw was the word 'karaoke', and I love karaoke. :D

Clever. But surely if you didn't read it, merely glossed over it, it could now be embedded in your subconscious rather than conscious mind. This would mean it's even more likely to show up in your dreams....

oh dear. I've been watching too much Frasier haven't I?!
AlexT

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:43 pm

AlexT wrote:Clever. But surely if you didn't read it, merely glossed over it, it could now be embedded in your subconscious rather than conscious mind. This would mean it's even more likely to show up in your dreams....

Dammit, didn't think of that. :?
Dorset Girl

Postby AlexT » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:18 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
AlexT wrote:Clever. But surely if you didn't read it, merely glossed over it, it could now be embedded in your subconscious rather than conscious mind. This would mean it's even more likely to show up in your dreams....

Dammit, didn't think of that. :?

It was pretty devious of me. Sweet dreams tonight - at least I know I'll be sleeping soundly anyway. Mwahaha!

*cue, several hours from now: me tossing and turning in the in the throes of a nightmare, as I dream that I'm a tiny, muscular gingerbread man, about to be eaten by a gigantic Gil Chesterton*
AlexT

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:55 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Gil either. Most of the time I find him pointless and utterly annoying. And Noel gets downright creepy toward the end.

I get irritated with certain things in certain episodes but I'm not sure there's anything that bugs me throughout the entire run of the series.

And I CANNOT believe ck_psy doesn't find Peri Gilpin attractive. I'm a straight woman and I think she's sexy as hell.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby ruth » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:47 pm

None of the main characters annoyed me (although I found Daphne's accent a bit irritating at the beginning of the series, but soon got used to it). However, I really didn't like Gil - he was just too OTT as a character. And I could have lived without Bulldog as well, although Dan Butler is a very good actor.
"My Tae Kwon Do instructor says I'm two moves away from becoming quite threatening."
ruth

Postby AlexT » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:15 pm

So much dislike for Chesty in this thread! I'm sure it's just designed to upset me. And I thought I'd seen some cruel pranks in the army.

I can understand where people are coming from on Noel though. His comedy tough guy act in A New Position for Roz is woeful. Shame, as it spoils what would otherwise be my favourite episode of Frasier.

Joke!
AlexT

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:19 pm

AlexT wrote:So much dislike for Chesty in this thread! I'm sure it's just designed to upset me. And I thought I'd seen some cruel pranks in the army.

I can understand where people are coming from on Noel though. His comedy tough guy act in A New Position for Roz is woeful. Shame, as it spoils what would otherwise be my favourite episode of Frasier.

Joke!

Actually, that's one of the few times Noel cracks me up. I love his "I will KILL you!" line to Bulldog. That dinner stuff with Bulldog, Noel and Gil is the only good part of that entire episode!
CatNamedRudy

Postby AlexT » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:28 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
AlexT wrote:So much dislike for Chesty in this thread! I'm sure it's just designed to upset me. And I thought I'd seen some cruel pranks in the army.

Joke!

Actually, that's one of the few times Noel cracks me up. I love his "I will KILL you!" line to Bulldog. That dinner stuff with Bulldog, Noel and Gil is the only good part of that entire episode!

Maybe I'm being harsh... I think I've only actually watched the episode in question once(!) so I'll have to watch it again!

I'm guess it's not too controversial to say that the celebrity cameos were irritating by the end of Frasier too. Many were great (Derek Jacobi), but when they stuck them in key episodes for no reason... Bill Gates in the 200th episode...? The guy who enjoys gettin' down with his Ma's own apple pie in the finale...? Uhhh. I think people were going to watch the last episode because Frasier was an amazing, beloved show ending after 11 years. How much extra publicity was raised by the helpful addition of Richard E Grant and Hagrid?
AlexT

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:51 pm

Maybe I'm being harsh... I think I've only actually watched the episode in question once(!) so I'll have to watch it again!

Oh dear god! Don't do that! Subjecting oneself to the pain that is A New Position for Roz should only be done...well.....never!
CatNamedRudy

Next

Return to Frasier Discussion