Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

What irritates you about 'Frasier'?

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Re: What irritates you about 'Frasier'?

Postby Eddie2012 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:14 pm

Whisper of cinnamon wrote:Rosie Perez could have been the fifth main cast member!

I am glad she wasn't - I can't stand her accent/way to talk!
Eddie2012

Postby Patrick » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:17 pm

Whisper of cinnamon wrote:...On the commentary for The Good Son, the writers say that they had it in their heads that the character would either be Latino - maybe played by Rosie Perez - or British. Then they began writing the pilot and they still hadn't decided yet. Then it got to the point in the script where the character made her entrance and in that moment they decided to make her British! So if they'd gone the other way in that 50/50 choice on that day, Rosie Perez could have been the fifth main cast member!

Can you picture Niles in love with Rosie Perez, though?
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby PistolPoet » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:56 pm

I had to google her and she's the annoying blind date from Crock Tales! Then I went to see an interview with her, and she actually speaks that way! I can't see her as Daphne at all :shock:.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby Eddie2012 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:00 pm

PistolPoet wrote:i]Then I went to see an interview with her, and she actually speaks that way!

Irritating, isn't it :D
Eddie2012

Postby Patrick » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:26 pm

PistolPoet wrote:I had to google her and she's the annoying blind date from Crock Tales! Then I went to see an interview with her, and she actually speaks that way! I can't see her as Daphne at all :shock:.

She's also the caller who says that she's afraid that the people she counts on will disappear on Roz In The Doghouse, just before being cut off.

Speaking of which I find some of those shows a bit over the top. I mean doing Roz' job is definitely not rocket science and I am certain they would find a few passable people in a jiff even in an emergency; plus I am quite sure that Roz by contract wouldn't be allowed to simply leave Frasier out to dry before he could find a suitable replacement. I could write a book with all the near impossibilities in the show.

Also one thing that is funny is that Frasier's and Bulldog's shows are obviously not simultaneous then what would prevent Roz from producing both on a temporary base? The extra money she would earn? I think not.
Last edited by Patrick on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Whisper of cinnamon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:31 pm

Eddie2012 wrote:
Whisper of cinnamon wrote:Rosie Perez could have been the fifth main cast member!

I am glad she wasn't - I can't stand her accent/way to talk!

I agree!

PistolPoet wrote:I had to google her and she's the annoying blind date from Crock Tales! Then I went to see an interview with her, and she actually speaks that way! I can't see her as Daphne at all :shock:.

Well, I think if they had gone down that route they would have obviously made her a very different character. She probably wouldn't have been called Daphne either. But I'm so glad they went the other way - that little anecdote on the commentary is an example of how close great sitcoms come to being something else entirely. Having Rosie Perez in that role would have changed the whole feel of any scene she was in.
It's like when the creators said their original idea for the show was not to have Kelsey play Frasier at all, but to have him as a bed-ridden business mogul - the idea was that he would never leave the house! They pitched this idea to the network but they didn't like it - they said 'make a Cheers spin-off and have Kelsey play Frasier again'. A perhaps rare example of the network getting it right and correcting the creators of the show. Of course we have no way of knowing how that show would have been if they'd gone with it - I'm sure Kelsey would have been great in it, but it's hard to imagine that it would have ended up being anywhere near as good as the show they finally decided to make.
Last edited by Whisper of cinnamon on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whisper of cinnamon

Postby Patrick » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:38 pm

If we were to believe in the multi-verse theory then maybe there are other universes where these variations of the show were produced, some to be cancelled at the end of the first season, no doubt. :D
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby PistolPoet » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:15 pm

Patrick wrote:
Speaking of which I find some of those shows a bit over the top. I mean doing Roz' job is definitely not rocket science and I am certain they would find a few passable people in a jiff even in an emergency; plus I am quite sure that Roz by contract wouldn't be allowed to simply leave Frasier out to dry before he could find a suitable replacement. I could write a book with all the near impossibilities in the show.

Also one thing that is funny is that Frasier's and Bulldog's shows are obviously not simultaneous then what would prevent Roz from producing both on a temporary base? The extra money she would earn? I think not.

And it's not just that. I think it's a bit unlikely that any caller should be able to go past Roz and make it into the show, because she screens calls. As we saw in one episode (damn, can't remember which) when it's sweeps week, Roz asks each caller what the problem is, so I don't think she'd put through that kid who pranked Frasier and lied about being a 43-year-old salesman, or the guy who only called to ask what he should name his boat, or the one who lost a pinky ring and wanted to go public with it on Frasier's show. Speaking of which, there is a good number of callers who have absolutely no psychological problems - in addition to the ones above, there was a woman who tore her sister's dress, the guy who wasn't sure whether to buy a sump pump or go on a holiday to Italy, and probably a few more I can't think of right now. I guess that can only mean that Frasier and Roz were desperate for calls and would let anyone on the air, which shouldn't be the case, at least at the beginning, when the show was quite popular.
PistolPoet

Postby Patrick » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:24 pm

PistolPoet wrote:...And it's not just that. I think it's a bit unlikely that any caller should be able to go past Roz and make it into the show, because she screens calls. As we saw in one episode (damn, can't remember which) when it's sweeps week, Roz asks each caller what the problem is, so I don't think she'd put through that kid who pranked Frasier and lied about being a 43-year-old salesman, or the guy who only called to ask what he should name his boat, or the one who lost a pinky ring and wanted to go public with it on Frasier's show. Speaking of which, there is a good number of callers who have absolutely no psychological problems - in addition to the ones above, there was a woman who tore her sister's dress, the guy who wasn't sure whether to buy a sump pump or go on a holiday to Italy, and probably a few more I can't think of right now. I guess that can only mean that Frasier and Roz were desperate for calls and would let anyone on the air, which shouldn't be the case, at least at the beginning, when the show was quite popular.

One detail also that would ruin most caller gags is that with 2 million listeners it's highly unlikely that there would be fewer than hundreds and even thousands of callers every day and that means that Roz should always have plenty to choose from. I read an article about a call-in show with an audience of about two million (it was cable TV) , people would call with medical problems, and the article said that the average number of callers for each hour of the show was about 40 thousand, that is to say, more than enough to choose from, in fact getting on air was like winning a small lottery. To get zero callers as happened a few times (for example in Freudian sleep) the audience should be less than a few hundred people. I think Frasier would have been given his severance pay-check long before that happened.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Frank B » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:50 pm

PistolPoet wrote:Speaking of which, there is a good number of callers who have absolutely no psychological problems - in addition to the ones above, there was a woman who tore her sister's dress, the guy who wasn't sure whether to buy a sump pump or go on a holiday to Italy, and probably a few more I can't think of right now.

There is the woman who calls in from a car to ask for directions. Why the heck does she call Frasier for that? :?

Nice call screening Roz.
Frank B

Postby cjs123 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:20 pm

I wasn't a diehard fan while the show was airing, but I'm having fun watching the entire series now and just started Season 6.

First what I like:

The combination of Frasier, Niles and Martin is priceless. I like Daphne, Bulldog cracked me up and Roz and Frasier were a great work duo.

My favorite thing is how Martin brings his sons back to earth, demonstrated so well in the very first episode:

Frasier: My study? You expect me to give up my study, the place where I read, where I do my most profound thinking?
Martin: Ah, use the can like the rest of the world!

Little things I find irritating:

Daphne's high-pitched rambling grates at times and goes on too long.
There is one facial expression Frasier has that I find hard to watch--mouth wide open, eyes rolling, trying to be funny/endearing.

Overall, I find the slapstick mishaps/misunderstandings get exhausting after awhile--probably because I am watching episodes back to back instead of once a week!

Still, enjoying seeing this again without commercial interruptions; love video streaming and so glad I dumped Cable--but that's another story! :mrgreen:
cjs123

Postby cjs123 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:58 am

Yikes. Daphne's mother and brother (Simon) were awful. I'm not a stickler for accents on shows but those were way out there. Nothing quirky or endearing about her family; just rude, thoughtless, mean and not at all funny. Glad they didn't stick around (though maybe they'll be back...? Don't remember; I'm part way through Season 8 now). Unfortunate casting and missed opportunities, I think.

The latest little thing jumping out at me is that I want to cut Daphne's bangs every time I see her.

I'm missing the radio station, the Frazier/Roz work duo, and Bulldog. The show has definitely lost something, which I think happens to a lot of shows that have a long run, unfortunately.
cjs123

Postby cjs123 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:32 pm

Now into Season 10 and the change in Daphne's character is a shocker. I wonder if they were thinking of the transition from employee to a member of the Crane family, but going from the warm, lighthearted person to this was a most unfortunate choice. Didn't remember this from years ago, and even prior posts on this subject didn't prepare me.

Roz' character seems more subdued; I get she's a single mother now with more responsibilities and worries, but I miss how funny she used to be.

Also finding some of the Cranes' shouting sessions are less funny and more exhausting, and at times the Frasier character is so over the top (more than usual) it's ridiculous.

I'll watch through to the end since I've watched this far, but in the future if/when I rewatch again I'll stop a lot sooner.
cjs123

Postby frasier floyd » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:03 am

Yea I think it's been mentioned before how much Daphne's character changes throughout the season, not just from beginning to end, but even from beginning to middle. I thought she was changed by the time she and Niles got together (which is when the show should have ended in my opinion). It sucks, but it's always so nice going back to the earlier episode to get a refresher!

I think they were all their best in the earlier seasons.
frasier floyd

Postby Patrick » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:00 am

frasier floyd wrote:Yea I think it's been mentioned before how much Daphne's character changes throughout the season, not just from beginning to end, but even from beginning to middle. I thought she was changed by the time she and Niles got together (which is when the show should have ended in my opinion). It sucks, but it's always so nice going back to the earlier episode to get a refresher!

I think they were all their best in the earlier seasons.

Yes she changes in so many ways. She becomes less of an odd bird, even her hairdo is more conventional, and her clothes change too. She also becomes meaner and closer to Maris and Mel in her way of behaving toward Niles. For example the way she asks Niles "What were you doing there?" when he comes out all sweaty and in a state of excitement from the elevator... While she was so trusting and gentle at the beginning of the show. She's no longer the woman Niles fell in love with.
Even her sex life has been completely rewritten. She was a quasi-virgin at the beginning of the show, waiting for the right guy and in the end she confesses to sleeping with an endless list of men, sometimes after a few minutes of knowing them(Like the guy she met on the roof)…

I'd hate to see what would become of their relationship ten years from then. She'd probably become another Mel... OR MARIS!
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby TheSaneChoice » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:28 pm

One line that annoys me and I still don't know why:

'The roast is out of the oven, it looks beautiful'

How the..can a roast look 'beautiful'?
TheSaneChoice

Postby PistolPoet » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:06 pm

Lol why not? I'm a vegetarian, but I still think any sort of dish can look beautiful, depending on how it's made. I think it's just a matter of subjective aesthetic principles, if you will :P.
PistolPoet

Postby BritNervosa » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:35 am

Just an underlying thing that nags - where does the money come from to support Frasier's incredibly lavish and expensive lifestyle? Surely radio doesn't pay that well, even in the States?
BritNervosa

Postby Frank B » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:01 pm

BritNervosa wrote:Just an underlying thing that nags - where does the money come from to support Frasier's incredibly lavish and expensive lifestyle? Surely radio doesn't pay that well, even in the States?

That one has puzzled me too.

Also, he says in one episode "My show is on from two to five". That is three hours of work. How can he live on that?
Frank B

Postby PistolPoet » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:27 pm

Apparently, radio was big in the '90s. Though I don't really get how Niles has so much money, either. I mean, I understand his practice is doing well, but so well that he can afford a three-floor flat at the Montana and pay $4000 for a footstool?
PistolPoet

Postby Eddie2012 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:29 pm

His cut from all the advertising - his face on buses, benches, frisbees :D (Frasier).

Niles wealth is more puzzeling, but did he not get a great deal in the divorce settlement? If not to get in at first, but later to maintain his posh place?
Eddie2012

Postby PistolPoet » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:58 pm

Eddie2012 wrote:His cut from all the advertising - his face on buses, benches, frisbees :D (Frasier).

Niles wealth is more puzzeling, but did he not get a great deal in the divorce settlement? If not to get in at first, but later to maintain his posh place?

Yeah, that must have helped. I don't even want to know how much money Maris has, if she was able to pay for such a huge divorce settlement...
PistolPoet

Postby Patrick » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:30 pm

Eddie2012 wrote:His cut from all the advertising - his face on buses, benches, frisbees :D (Frasier).

Actually, his boss pays for this advertising, so if he got a "cut" from that it would be a pay cut. :lol:
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:32 pm

PistolPoet wrote:...Yeah, that must have helped. I don't even want to know how much money Maris has, if she was able to pay for such a huge divorce settlement...

Maris is supposed to own a gigantic fortune, the likes of which only a handful of people around the world possess.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby conchiedalquist » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:27 am

Of course adore it to death like everyone else when you suspend reality, but yes, there are a line up of irritations too when you start to nit pick.

Frasier's marriage to Lileth broke up but he had a very small child at the time too. Why would he take the decision to move across the country and continue to live his life AWAY from his only child. I remember in one of the very first episodes when he was arguing with Martin because they were not getting along, he said something to the the effect of…. "I've moved half way across the country away from my son which in itself is killing me" I always remember thinking… well what on earth would make you take such a decision. Surely regardless of the marriage break up, a responsible parent would have taken the decision to ensure he was a continued part of his child's life, and live close by to be a part of his daily life, take him to school, see him at weekends. That part always grated on me.

In his apartment in Seattle there was scant evidence of Freddie's existence, with a very small baby photo just inside the door on the little unit where he leaves his keys, and another small picture in his bedroom. Even more surprising to me was the absolute lack of a single obvious photo on display of the most gaping absence in the entire Crane family's lives…. their mother !!!! Am I the only one who thinks its staggering that there is not a single obvious centre piece framed picture on display of Hester Crane. Even a cherished portrait of her would have been very apt.

As much as I adore Niles, there are many things that irritate me about his various situations. Its illogical to me how Niles stayed in the marriage to Maris for the many years that he did. Of course every mention of her is absolutely hilarious but when you step back from that for a moment, he was a young man who we are lead to believe married a woman who constantly sleeps in a separate room to him, not just a separate bed, a separate ROOM !!! She never socializes with his family, has a million traits that irritate all of them, you have to ask yourself, what on any level, emotional or otherwise was ever there for him in this marriage. She provided no company or companionship to him ( he seemed to spend every evening at Frasier's apartment), and when a married man's entire social life revolves around his brother you have to step back and ask yourself.. why !!

Marriage two: This one bothered me a lot. Mel…… the fussy, Maris like Mel who he pursued with vigor after he forced himself to let Daphne go. Yes she was annoying, she was full of neuroses, but she was also a decent good person and she did not deserve to be treated as shabbily as she was by everyone. That lovely scene when she asked Daphne to give her a massage, and at first Daphne was laying into her hard and really hurting her. Then Mel got talking, and said she could see all there was in Niles, and she just wanted to be that person who could bring out the best in him and be there for him. Daphne softened immediately and gave her a proper massage.

She was then dumped in the most cruel way barely a week after her marriage that she entered in good faith. At the fake wedding reception, when she told him about the planned honeymoon, and Niles said to her, it sounds like a wonderful trip… and she said so sadly…. its not my fault we are not going. I was totally on Mel's side during all this. Frasier then proceeded to rub salt into her wound by giving that, while cleverly worded, very cruel speech in her presence. No one seemed to appreciate the enormity of the betrayal and pain she must have been feeling that night.

When they were going through the endless weeks of enforced social events together that Mel insisted on to save face I found Daphne's attitude awful. Here was a woman who had walked out on a lovely man who adored her on their wedding day, seen another woman's marriage and happiness wrecked on the same day, got her man….. and yet moaned about how unfair it was when Mel needed him to attend something with her. In fact she continued to paint Mel as the baddie throughout it all, when in fact she was anything but.

Daphne's personality and character from the very first episodes to the last series seems to have changed totally and utterly. The ditzy girl seemed to disappear slowly and she became less likable I think. Her evolving role in the house also baffled me.
She was hired as Martin's health care provider, but somehow ended up cooking, cleaning and general dogs body !!! In the episode where she bought the dust buster hoover, or when she told Martin she used to buy him new underwear regularly… I often wondered… are we supposed to believe she bought these things out of her own money !!

I thought it could have been a lovely twist if after a period of time, Roz ended up with Donny Douglas. She did say he had been one who got away in a sense. When they went out, he wanted a family and she was not ready. There was that episode at the cabin where Niles tried to get Roz and Donny together but it didn't quite work. But when Daphne dumped him, it would have been lovely to see her as the one who he talked to and see something rekindle.

I loved Martin's relationships with both Sherry and Cora Winston, and in fact had he ended up with either of them, it would have been lovely. It would have been especially hilarious if Martin had married Cora. Not only would he have settled down with a lovely classy woman, but the idea of Cam and Frasier being step brothers would have been so funny. Instead….. they marry him off to to Ronnie, a woman who on every level possible seemed to be totally unsuitable for him. I just didn't get it at all. Never bought that relationship for a minute. Martin was a happy enough man, settled in his ways of sitting in front of the tv every night, enjoying his nights at Dukes, how could he keep up with Ronnie and make a life with her.

I know they had to end Frasier somehow, but I hated that we saw him leave the apartment and his job. Didn't like the gal either, never seemed to me she was THE ONE to finally made Frasier happy. Wanted of course to see him find a true love at the end and be happy, but wanted to be able feel all happy inside too when it unfolded, that it was the right one, but just didn't like it.
conchiedalquist

PreviousNext

Return to Frasier Discussion