Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

What irritates you about 'Frasier'?

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Re: What irritates you about 'Frasier'?

Postby Eddie2012 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:11 am

Not to mention redecorating Daphne's room and buying her a car to get her to stay :D
Eddie2012

Postby Patrick » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:58 am

Eddie2012 wrote:Not to mention redecorating Daphne's room and buying her a car to get her to stay :D

Yeah, that part was a bit stupid, funny, but stupid nevertheless. If she was so worried about her privacy then why not just put a lock on her door? That way no "accidents" can happen and it definitely would cost a great deal less than redecorating her room and buying her a car. Sometimes for the sake of one episode they stretch things beyond the believable.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby PistolPoet » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:28 pm

Patrick wrote:
Eddie2012 wrote:Not to mention redecorating Daphne's room and buying her a car to get her to stay :D

Yeah, that part was a bit stupid, funny, but stupid nevertheless. If she was so worried about her privacy then why not just put a lock on her door? That way no "accidents" can happen and it definitely would cost a great deal less than redecorating her room and buying her a car. Sometimes for the sake of one episode they stretch things beyond the believable.

It's the principle. Frasier is supposed to stay out of there and Daphne shouldn't have to lock the door to keep him out. I doubt Daphne would be happy with that solution. Of course, she shouldn't have been content with a bribe, either, seeing as her new car isn't a promise from Frasier that he won't enter her room ever again, it's just an overstated apology.

(Speaking of which, this may have been mentioned, but it's strange that Daphne doesn't allow anyone in her room, but later (in Morning Becomes Entertainment) is fine with Martin looking into her handbag. People change, of course, but I know I wouldn't want anyone's hands in my bag, no matter who they are.)
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby Ariel » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:23 pm

Strangely that bit did ring true to me as I have had live in jobs like that where you have a room in the house, it is very clear that it is their house and I was never offered, nor would have felt comfortable asking for, a lock on the door. They did go in when I was out and I didn't like it much, but it was their house! I never got offered a car either! lol
"Love is an awesome force. It can make us do things we never imagined were possible. For you see, we don't actually choose love- it chooses us. And once it has, we are powerless to do anything about it."
Ariel

Postby Le cigare volant » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi All,

I am new here-I love Frasier- it is medicinal-there were times when I was doing humanitarian work in some crazy places in Central Africa and I'd watch Frasier DVDs to let off steam. Anyhow-what always annoyed me were the French accents. Even though The Ski Lodge is my favorite episode and I love High Holidays-those French accents were just not right.. I'm a bilingual English/French native speaker so that just got to me. I still love The Ski Lodge though "You're not the Crane I want!" Hahahaha :lol:
Le cigare volant

Postby winomaster » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:37 am

This puzzels more than irritates me: When Frazier tips anyone in a hotel room, he is seen to be using a coin. It's been many years since a coin would suffice for a tip. And I don't think we can assume dollar or half dollar coins were being used.
winomaster

Postby winomaster » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:55 am

nahborghi wrote: The lack of diversity is really noticiable, and I can only remember of two characters - Dr. Mary, and the "SUPER!" lady Roz tries to set up with Frasier on "Crock Tales" - that wasn't white (correct me if i'm wrong).

The guy upstairs from Fraizers unit, who drives the big SUV, is black. And his mother was prominent in an episode as Martins love interest. If you couldn't remember those, there have probably been others.
winomaster

Postby Patrick » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:58 am

winomaster wrote:...
The guy upstairs from Fraizers unit, who drives the big SUV, is black. And his mother was prominent in an episode as Martins love interest. If you couldn't remember those, there have probably been others.

The appearance of Cam Winston and his Mother and even Mary comes very late in the series and are probably due to repeated criticisms and they're only seen in three or four episodes . Other than these there's almost no black characters in the show, much less recurrent ones.

The show taxi that was in the 70's and was sort of a precursor to Cheers had a recurrent black character.

Hell, Star Trek was in the sixties and they had Uhura and Sulu that were in almost in all the episodes.

Something's just not right here.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby PistolPoet » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:38 am

winomaster wrote:
nahborghi wrote: The lack of diversity is really noticiable, and I can only remember of two characters - Dr. Mary, and the "SUPER!" lady Roz tries to set up with Frasier on "Crock Tales" - that wasn't white (correct me if i'm wrong).

I don't mean any disrespect, it's just very curious, and I've seen other people do it - how is it that you watch Frasier (and therefore see the title of the show in every episode), and read posts here, and still misspell his name?

To add to your list, even though they aren't important characters, there's Bulldog's producer (who I really liked), there's Steve in Farewell, Nervosa, Sharon in The Perfect Guy, the asian guy in Daphne Does Dinner, and Carlos "The Baracuda" Del Gato in Voyage of the Damned :P.
PistolPoet

Postby welshben23 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:44 pm

PistolPoet wrote:
winomaster wrote:

I don't mean any disrespect, it's just very curious, and I've seen other people do it - how is it that you watch Frasier (and therefore see the title of the show in every episode), and read posts here, and still misspell his name?

To add to your list, even though they aren't important characters, there's Bulldog's producer (who I really liked), there's Steve in Farewell, Nervosa, Sharon in The Perfect Guy, the asian guy in Daphne Does Dinner, and Carlos "The Baracuda" Del Gato in Voyage of the Damned :P.

:D I was thinking that too, especially as the name of this website is at the top of the screen in HUGE letters.
welshben23

Postby Patrick » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:55 pm

PistolPoet wrote:...I don't mean any disrespect, it's just very curious, and I've seen other people do it - how is it that you watch Frasier (and therefore see the title of the show in every episode), and read posts here, and still misspell his name?

Maybe a touch of dyslexia is the likeliest explanation.

Which is chump change compared to even ONE regular or semi regular character. None of these people are seen more than once. The only show "whiter" than Frasier that I know of is "The Avengers" and there it was deliberate as has been later disclosed by the actors themselves. Let's face it, Frasier is light years away from being a multicultural show like Whoopee for example was and yet that show lasted only ONE season. There are countless shows either older than or contemporaneous to Frasier that were far more diverse in their casting and that says something, whether you want to admit to it or not.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby PistolPoet » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:26 pm

Patrick wrote:Maybe a touch of dyslexia is the likeliest explanation.

If that's the case, I apologise!

Patrick wrote:Which is chump change compared to even ONE regular or semi regular character. None of these people are seen more than once. The only show "whiter" than Frasier that I know of is "The Avengers" and there it was deliberate as has been later disclosed by the actors themselves. Let's face it, Frasier is light years away from being a multicultural show like Whoopee for example was and yet that show lasted only ONE season. There are countless shows either older than or contemporaneous to Frasier that were far more diverse in their casting and that says something, whether you want to admit to it or not.

I agree! They should have made a bigger effort to cast different ethnicities. And yeah, looking back on the sitcoms from the '80s and '90s, even though lots of them didn't make it to my country at the time, it seems like there was more diversity than now - looking at shows like The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, Modern Family etc., I don't see a diverse cast.
PistolPoet

Postby frasier floyd » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:38 pm

I respectfully disagree with those expecting a show to create a cast based on a mandatory racial diversity. I'm of the opinion that they should cast actors/actresses who fit the role with the best acting abilities. It seems strange to me to expect the writers to include people of various skin colors just to appease the public with such a false scheme of political correctness and acceptance. This mandatory racial diversity is so apparent in the US now that it's now obvious when people of various ethnicities are chosen for positions solely for this purpose; it's common for news channels of 3 anchors to have two white men and one black/latina woman to fill the diversity quota twofold with gender and race. I understand the concern to want to include people of all backgrounds, but this type of forced inclusion to fill such a quota isn't respectful to anyone.
frasier floyd

Postby PistolPoet » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:59 pm

frasier floyd wrote:I respectfully disagree with those expecting a show to create a cast based on a mandatory racial diversity. I'm of the opinion that they should cast actors/actresses who fit the role with the best acting abilities. It seems strange to me to expect the writers to include people of various skin colors just to appease the public with such a false scheme of political correctness and acceptance. This mandatory racial diversity is so apparent in the US now that it's now obvious when people of various ethnicities are chosen for positions solely for this purpose; it's common for news channels of 3 anchors to have two white men and one black/latina woman to fill the diversity quota twofold with gender and race. I understand the concern to want to include people of all backgrounds, but this type of forced inclusion to fill such a quota isn't respectful to anyone.

I agree that in most cases only talent should be taken into account when casting people. If the ethnicity of the character is integral to the plot, then absolutely, cast someone of that ethnicity. Otherwise, hire the best actor.

However, when it comes to Frasier, there are very few characters who had to be white. Apart from Frasier's family, probably everyone else could have been any race or colour, so it's a little strange that most people who were cast for any role in the show turned out to be white.
PistolPoet

Postby frasier floyd » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:14 pm

I understand what you're saying, but I still don't find it too surprising. Most of the characters on the show are simply the people Frasier and Niles interact with, and are therefore similar to them. As we saw with the Dr. Mary episodes, Frasier is freakishly unable to interact with anyone who's different from himself. Even in the New Friend episode, Frasier and Niles are unable to start friendships with white men who are different than them. So it makes sense to me that the majority of the people who run in the same social circles are just variations of themselves. It's true, though, that at Frasier's workplace at least there could have been some more diversity, but sometimes that's the way some small workplaces are in real life too.

There is at least one woman of Indian descent who is a pretty regular waitress at the cafe. Granted, it's a minor part, but still enough to show she has some sass and wit about her.
frasier floyd

Postby Forever Jung » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:32 pm

PistolPoet wrote:It's the principle. Frasier is supposed to stay out of there and Daphne shouldn't have to lock the door to keep him out. I doubt Daphne would be happy with that solution.

:twisted: My thought EXACTLY.
It's a matter of trust and respect.

frasier floyd wrote:I respectfully disagree with those expecting a show to create a cast based on a mandatory racial diversity. I'm of the opinion that they should cast actors/actresses who fit the role with the best acting abilities. It seems strange to me to expect the writers to include people of various skin colors just to appease the public with such a false scheme of political correctness and acceptance. This mandatory racial diversity is so apparent in the US now that it's now obvious when people of various ethnicities are chosen for positions solely for this purpose; it's common for news channels of 3 anchors to have two white men and one black/latina woman to fill the diversity quota twofold with gender and race. I understand the concern to want to include people of all backgrounds, but this type of forced inclusion to fill such a quota isn't respectful to anyone.

Great post.
Funny characters played by people with the ability to be funny is pretty much the most important thing in a show that's supposed to be funny :lol:

Thinking about it, there were a couple of other minor characters of other ethnic origins. Although most of them were one show appearances and any others had very limited screentime.

Luis Guzman appeared.

So did James Earl Jones.

There was the guy who worked at the station (J?) who Frasier tried to make friends with when he was trying to dispell his snobby reputation.

Bulldog's producer was also black.

Reggie, the basketball player.

A couple of random thoughts out loud..........

Does anybody have any idea about the ethnic diversity of the area Frasier is set?
If it's got a high mixture of ethnic backgrounds that's one thing, but if it's a mostly white area, then that's what is shown in the show, and I can't see much reason for adding characters for racial divercity just for the hell of it.

Just how racialy intergrated are we?
How many people are there of other races in our own lives?
For me, the only thing that comes to mind is people who serve me in shops :shock:
Chinese chippys, Pakistani newsagent, Turkish kebab house.
Apart from that we pretty much shop at Tesco :lol:
I've never had Chinese co-workers.
I didn't grown up with black kids.
I don't have any Pakistani friends. The bloke in the newsagent and I exchange a few friendly words each day, but does that make him my friend?
No more or less than if he were white.
These were not choices, you understand. I've not gone out of my way to avoid people of other cultures, it's just a matter of Geography.
Liverpool is a city that prides itself as a cultural melting pot, but walk through the city center and you'll still see that white is the racial majority.
Liverpool 8, on the other hand, is mostly a black community.
Even in the same city, humans have the talent to keep the hell away from each other :lol:

With that in mind, if you were to turn my life into a sit com, you would certainly have a mostly white cast if you were going to reflect it with any accuracy. Unless you want to big up the part of my day when I comment to my newsagent on the state of the weather as i'm asking for a pack of 10 smokes :lol: .

So would making Frasier more racially diverse be realistic?
I'm not saying that the Frasier character is a racist, but he does not seem to me to be in a geographical or social place where he is likely to mix with other cultures.

Are there any character that would have been improved by being black, or asian?
That's the most important factor.
I don't think so.
I think the actors/actresses cast played their roles so well it's hard to imagine anyone else taking their place.
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby Ariel » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:07 pm

Even in the same city, humans have the talent to keep the hell away from each other :lol:

Love it!! But in all seriousness, that's a very interesting and logical reply - I couldn't care less about political correctness I'm afraid, and as far as I am concerned i reserve the right to like someone whatever their colour/culture, but also to loathe someone whatever their colour/culture. (In fact I reserve the right to loathe entire cultures if I want to!!)I choose my friends in the same way I choose how to live my life, pretty much what matters is that I live up to my own standards, not someone elses!

After all I'm not annoyed because Daphne's English family were shown as dishonest, drunken layabout pickpockets - it's a comedy!!
"Love is an awesome force. It can make us do things we never imagined were possible. For you see, we don't actually choose love- it chooses us. And once it has, we are powerless to do anything about it."
Ariel

Postby Forever Jung » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:10 pm

:twisted: I'm not racist, I hate EVERYBODY! :D :lol:
Forever Jung

Postby frasier floyd » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:37 pm

Hey Forever Jung, some interesting thoughts! I think Frasier was filmed in Los Angeles, which is definitely a diverse city as well, though some sites say about 50% of the population is Caucasian. Doing a quick search on racial demographics of Seattle, however, showed that Caucasians make up 74% of the population! So it would make sense that the majority of people shown in Frasier's Seattle would be white, though this may be coincidence more than intention by the casting agent.

Still, I definitely can't imagine the main cast played by any other actors/actresses since they all make the roles so believable! Jane Leeves is white but British so there's at least some ethnic diversity among the main cast (was she chosen because she's British or was her background written into the story?) There are definitely many smaller roles that could've been filled by people of any race, so I'm not sure why there isn't more diversity among those folks.

Some US television shows are just played by actors/actresses predominantly of one race. Tyler Perry is a black actor/ producer/ director/ writer who makes tv shows and movies with largely black casts. I don't know much about him or his work (other than through commercials) but it seems fair to me. As you said forever jung, this may reflect how people tend to spend time with people similar to themselves in terms of race, background, etc, like an optional segregation. This separation was certainly evident at the university I attended (of more than 40,000 people on campus); people of the same race were mostly seen walking/eating together on campus. This segregation wasn't 100% though; biracial couples were a norm and my friends and I lived with/were friends with people of all kinds of races and ethnicities. People do seem to gravitate toward people who they share similarities with though, so I guess this isn't too surprising.
frasier floyd

Postby Forever Jung » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:54 pm

frasier floyd wrote:(was she chosen because she's British or was her background written into the story?)

:twisted: I know of another English actress (her name escapes me right now) that went for the part of Daphne, so it looks like she was written as an English character.
Being from "away" made it easier to make her quirky I suppose.

I also read somewhere (probably here) that the part was originaly intended as a Latino maid that would get on Frasiers nerves.

As it is, i'm glad they went with Jane :lol:
Forever Jung

Postby Forever Jung » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Forever Jung wrote:[qu
:twisted: I know of another English actress (her name escapes me right now) that went for the part of Daphne, so it looks like she was written as an English character.

:twisted: Lisa Maxwell.

According to wiki, she was cast but left after disagreement with the producers and was replaced with Jane.

Jane went on to be a star in 11 seasons of a highly popular American sitcom.
Lisa went on to be on Loose Women.

Should have tried harder to see eye to eye with the producers :lol:
Forever Jung

Postby frasier floyd » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:53 pm

Forever Jung wrote:
frasier floyd wrote:(was she chosen because she's British or was her background written into the story?)

I also read somewhere (probably here) that the part was originaly intended as a Latino maid that would get on Frasiers nerves.

I think each of the main characters is quirky in their own way. :) I know what you mean though. Daphne definitely has her odd moments but I also think she's often more sensible than Frasier and Niles (so us Americans aren't laughing at her oddness as a foreigner).
frasier floyd

Postby winomaster » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:04 am

PistolPoet wrote:I don't mean any disrespect, it's just very curious, and I've seen other people do it - how is it that you watch Frasier (and therefore see the title of the show in every episode), and read posts here, and still misspell his name?

Because people are different and have different strengths. I rank in the top one percent in verbal ability, yet can't spell a wit. So when I hear people say: "With regards to yesterday's events..." I am driven mad.

I also realize that any thread that reads "What irritates you about Frasier." is going to attract a greater proportion of cranks. present company included.
winomaster

Postby PistolPoet » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:41 am

winomaster wrote:
PistolPoet wrote:I don't mean any disrespect, it's just very curious, and I've seen other people do it - how is it that you watch Frasier (and therefore see the title of the show in every episode), and read posts here, and still misspell his name?

Because people are different and have different strengths. I rank in the top one percent in verbal ability, yet can't spell a wit. So when I hear people say: "With regards to yesterday's events..." I am driven mad.

I also realize that any thread that reads "What irritates you about Frasier." is going to attract a greater proportion of cranks. present company included.

The inability to spell in general is one thing, I understand that English has lots of weird rules and exceptions etc. but the inability to spell a name you see literally everywhere on this site is another. And still it's no reason to call anyone a crank, I just thought it was strange, I didn't mean to insult you.
PistolPoet

Postby Whisper of cinnamon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:59 pm

Forever Jung wrote:

On the commentary for The Good Son, the writers say that they had it in their heads that the character would either be Latino - maybe played by Rosie Perez - or British. Then they began writing the pilot and they still hadn't decided yet. Then it got to the point in the script where the character made her entrance and in that moment they decided to make her British! So if they'd gone the other way in that 50/50 choice on that day, Rosie Perez could have been the fifth main cast member!
Whisper of cinnamon

PreviousNext

Return to Frasier Discussion