Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

What did you think of Claire?

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Re: What did you think of Claire?

Postby ProOperaVoter » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Erm, yes, that cat allergy that so debilitated when he was cat-sitting Mr. B.
"Sherry, Niles?"
ProOperaVoter

Postby Roverman » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:28 pm

That blanket and the soup helped his body fight any reaction....
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman

Postby frasier floyd » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:23 pm

I liked Claire. I think she was brought in as Frasier's ideal match after Niles talked about not waiting forever to find that perfect Kierkegaard-reading woman. He was entranced by her when they first met but then he lost interest for one of a few possible reasons: Frasier's neuroses kept him from being content with a great woman/ his ideal woman wasn't actually what he wanted or needed/ he had no idea who he wanted or needed/ or maybe he really did miss the excitement of Lorna, even though he sometimes couldn't even stand her. I personally think their relationship was meant to show that his neurotic ways kept him from being happy with even the perfect woman.

He's a grass-is-always-greener kind of guy, like we saw with Faye and Cassandra. He thought they were both great but when with one he'd soon be longing for the other one. So they brought in his perfect match and he still wasn't happy, thinking there could be someone even better. I don't think he was ready for a serious committed relationship at that point though so maybe that's the biggest reason why he lost interest. I think that if he'd met Claire when he met Charlotte that he would've been happy with her too. I don't think there was anything particularly special about Charlotte, I think he was just finally ready for that commitment and therefore learned how to be happy with a woman.
frasier floyd

Postby Ariel » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:44 pm

But DID he??? Did the relationship work, did they get married, did they get divorced? Perhaps he is still looking??
"Love is an awesome force. It can make us do things we never imagined were possible. For you see, we don't actually choose love- it chooses us. And once it has, we are powerless to do anything about it."
Ariel

Postby frasier floyd » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:09 pm

I think it'd be a success if they had a relationship that lasted even a few months, which it probably could have. None of his other relationships seemed to last that long on the show, so it'd be a start. I can't really see them together, but I thought that about Martin and his new wife and Daphne & Niles too.
frasier floyd

Postby ProOperaVoter » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:34 pm

The relationship with Charlotte also marks a turning point in Frasier's ways-- though still... delightfully quirky, he is able to surpass his condescension, pompousness and other qualities that are the foibles of his life. To paraphrase the immortal words of Marty Crane, "You know, I used to think you two took after your mother, liking the ballet and all that, but your mother liked a good ball game too. She even had a hot dog once in a while. She may have had fancy tastes, but she had too much class to ever make me or anybody else feel second-rate."
"Sherry, Niles?"
ProOperaVoter

Postby frasier floyd » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Yea that was basically what I was thinking too. I don't think Charlotte was necessarily the elusive perfect woman for Frasier, I think he just finally reached a point in his life where he was mature about relationships again. Maybe he just needed some time after his failed relationships back in Boston. Or maybe he just wanted to provide us with lots of laughs at his expense. :-)
frasier floyd

Postby Patrick » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:00 pm

I wonder why it didn't work with... Ann? :lol:

I love some lines in the second Ann episode:

""Martin: If you want to beat her to death with one of her crutches I can show you how to make it look like an accident." :D

Or.

"Ann: Well...someone's quite the tomcat. I don't know what I'm gonna do with you.
Frasier: I don't know what I'm gonna do with you either." :lol:
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Ariel » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:21 pm

I think he runs off with the lady he met on the airplane to Chicago!
"Love is an awesome force. It can make us do things we never imagined were possible. For you see, we don't actually choose love- it chooses us. And once it has, we are powerless to do anything about it."
Ariel

Postby Patrick » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:12 pm

Ariel wrote:I think he runs off with the lady he met on the airplane to Chicago!

I agree that he should, she was a great deal sexier than Charlotte. Wow!
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Wyokie » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:04 pm

Patrick wrote:
Ariel wrote:I think he runs off with the lady he met on the airplane to Chicago!

:roll: Charlotte was better looking than the gal on the plane to Chicago.

I'm just glad the writers never had Frasier & Roz become a couple. I know they slept with each other once. But a romance woulda been too bizarre.
Wyokie

Postby ProOperaVoter » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Wyokie wrote:
Patrick wrote:

I'm just glad the writers never had Frasier & Roz become a couple. I know they slept with each other once. But a romance woulda been too bizarre.

Don't let Cat catch you saying that :lol:
"Sherry, Niles?"
ProOperaVoter

Postby Wyokie » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:29 pm

ProOperaVoter wrote:
Wyokie wrote:I'm just glad the writers never had Frasier & Roz become a couple. I know they slept with each other once. But a romance woulda been too bizarre.

Don't let Cat catch you saying that :lol:

I've had worse threats from dead grizzly bears. This "Cat" person doesn't scare me. Snakes do but nothing else does.
Wyokie

Postby Patrick » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:37 pm

Wyokie wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one... I guess. :roll:
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:44 pm

Roz and Frasier would just have been too bizarre, beyond belief. I mean you can't imagine two people more incompatible than these two. Putting them together would have been as plausible as having Martin marry Daphne's mother in the end. :lol:
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Wyokie » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:58 pm

Patrick wrote:Roz and Frasier would just have been too bizarre, beyond belief. I mean you can't imagine two people more incompatible than these two. Putting them together would have been as plausible as having Martin marry Daphne's mother in the end. :lol:

I agree.
Wyokie

Postby Roverman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:30 pm

I think Frasier goes for the bizarre, look at this two ex wives and numerous girlfriends. Some of whom were very scary! However I agree about not pairing him off with Roz, that would only have worked in the very beginning, by the time they got around to sleeping together their deep and caring friendship was well established. Richard and Judy they are not!
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman

Postby welshben23 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:33 pm

Roverman wrote:I think Frasier goes for the bizarre, look at this two ex wives and numerous girlfriends. Some of whom were very scary! However I agree about not pairing him off with Roz, that would only have worked in the very beginning, by the time they got around to sleeping together their deep and caring friendship was well established. Richard and Judy they are not!

:lol: Thank heavens for that.
welshben23

Postby Patrick » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:13 pm

welshben23 wrote:
Roverman wrote:I think Frasier goes for the bizarre, look at this two ex wives and numerous girlfriends. Some of whom were very scary! However I agree about not pairing him off with Roz, that would only have worked in the very beginning, by the time they got around to sleeping together their deep and caring friendship was well established. Richard and Judy they are not!

:lol: Thank heavens for that.

I had never heard of them until now. Is it my imagination or is she older than he is? She looks it, at any rate.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Roverman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:16 pm

She is about 8 years older, plus the menopause hit her hard.
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman

Postby Eddie2012 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:13 am

Patrick wrote:Roz and Frasier would just have been too bizarre, beyond belief. I mean you can't imagine two people more incompatible than these two.

I can, Niles & Daphne :D
Eddie2012

Postby Ariel » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:58 pm

Eddie2012 wrote:
Patrick wrote:Roz and Frasier would just have been too bizarre, beyond belief. I mean you can't imagine two people more incompatible than these two.

I can, Niles & Daphne :D

Gotta agree on that! :roll: I actually would have found Frasier and Daphne easier to believe! Always felt Ros and Donny belonged together too! Dare I say it, Niles and Lilith (only she would have had to come in as a diff character to Frasier's ex!) :mrgreen:
I
Ariel

Postby PistolPoet » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:37 pm

Ariel wrote:
Gotta agree on that! :roll: I actually would have found Frasier and Daphne easier to believe! Always felt Ros and Donny belonged together too! Dare I say it, Niles and Lilith (only she would have had to come in as a diff character to Frasier's ex!) :mrgreen:
I

I think Niles is a tad too spineless for Lilith, she'd wrap him around her little finger like Maris did.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby Ariel » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:20 pm

Patrick wrote:If I had to choose, I think the most perfect woman that Frasier ever dated was Kate Costas, she had everything: intelligent, cultured, funny, challenging in a good way. She was so perfect that they had to invent a ton of last minute impediments (like Frasier's convenient cat allergy ) to keep Frasier from seeing her any more.

I'm just rewatching the whole Claire thing at the moment - I've decided she was too submissive, I think that though he might have been very proud of her in company, in private he would get bored. She was his intellectual equal but not equal in character.
I once made the mistake of going for the 'intellectual' type, I thought he'd be fun to talk to - trouble was, when I discovered the intellect was an act..............................................he'd primed himself with a selection of intelligent conversations, but once you had run through them , he was out of material!! :wink:
Ariel

Postby Wyokie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:27 pm

Ariel wrote:
Patrick wrote:If I had to choose, I think the most perfect woman that Frasier ever dated was Kate Costas, she had everything: intelligent, cultured, funny, challenging in a good way. She was so perfect that they had to invent a ton of last minute impediments (like Frasier's convenient cat allergy ) to keep Frasier from seeing her any more.

I'm just rewatching the whole Claire thing at the moment - I've decided she was too submissive, I think that though he might have been very proud of her in company, in private he would get bored. She was his intellectual equal but not equal in character.
I once made the mistake of going for the 'intellectual' type, I thought he'd be fun to talk to - trouble was, when I discovered the intellect was an act..............................................he'd primed himself with a selection of intelligent conversations, but once you had run through them , he was out of material!! :wink:

That's why I never liked her. I like a woman who can stand up for herself. Kinda like "Hot Lips" Houlihan on M*A*S*H.
Wyokie

PreviousNext

Return to Frasier Discussion