Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Don't get that joke!!

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Re: Don't get that joke!!

Postby Patrick » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:15 am

frasier floyd wrote:I didn't get the joke of Niles saying he didn't even know it was boxing season after Daphne tells him not to tell Martin the score. Is boxing a year-round sport? Even if that's the case, I guess I still wouldn't find a joke in that.

I guess it's to show that Niles is so out of touch that he doesn't know that there's boxing year-round, but I don't find that funny, either. In fact since I am rather indifferent to sports as entrainment I don't find any of their sports jokes funny. To me sports are just means to keep yourself in good shape. Who would watch people getting massages or people getting lunch? I mean unless it's part of a story of course.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:18 am

ProOperaVoter wrote:You know, none of us laugh at every single joke on the show.

I hope.

There are a few that make me cringe.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:22 am

frasier floyd wrote:Yea that's definitely true. I was just saying I don't understand that particular joke and thought someone might be able to explain it here. If there's simply no boxing season then I guess I just don't find it funny.

I could be wrong; because I really don't know much about these things, but I always believed that only outdoor sports needed to have a season, because they're dependent on the weather.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby frasier floyd » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:42 pm

Okay, thanks. I didn't know boxing was year-round. I guess I still don't find the joke in that one.
frasier floyd

Postby Patrick » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:49 pm

frasier floyd wrote:Okay, thanks. I didn't know boxing was year-round. I guess I still don't find the joke in that one.

It's a very weak joke. It's just to show how little Niles cares for sports in general which we already knew by then so that's why it's not funny, no surprise.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby PistolPoet » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:33 pm

Patrick wrote:
frasier floyd wrote:Yea that's definitely true. I was just saying I don't understand that particular joke and thought someone might be able to explain it here. If there's simply no boxing season then I guess I just don't find it funny.

I could be wrong; because I really don't know much about these things, but I always believed that only outdoor sports needed to have a season, because they're dependent on the weather.

I've always thought that was the joke as well. Don't know what else it can be.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby frasier floyd » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:12 am

Alright well thanks all :-)
frasier floyd

Postby ProOperaVoter » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:27 pm

On the subject of very non-funny jokes, are there any that you find unfunny to a point of opposition?
"Sherry, Niles?"
ProOperaVoter

Postby frasier floyd » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:14 pm

There are plenty jokes I don't find funny, but one that comes to mind that I actually dislike: In She's the Boss, when Niles asks Martin if he can borrow his gun (I think his delivery of this line is great),and Martin responds, "Is Maris taking singing lessons again?". I don't find that line funny at all, but worse- Martin says it in such an awkward way that is totally unlike him. Something about it just rubs me the wrong way, especially since it follows such a great line.
frasier floyd

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:19 am

Patrick wrote:
frasier floyd wrote:Okay, thanks. I didn't know boxing was year-round. I guess I still don't find the joke in that one.

It's a very weak joke. It's just to show how little Niles cares for sports in general which we already knew by then so that's why it's not funny, no surprise.

I think it's pretty funny actually. Maybe it's one of those jokes that just doesn't translate well.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby PistolPoet » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Patrick wrote:

I think it's pretty funny actually. Maybe it's one of those jokes that just doesn't translate well.

I liked it, too. I always enjoy the Crane boys' total ignorance of sports :).
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby Patrick » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:16 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:...I think it's pretty funny actually. Maybe it's one of those jokes that just doesn't translate well.

Translate? What's the matter with you?
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby ProOperaVoter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:31 am

Patrick wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:...I think it's pretty funny actually. Maybe it's one of those jokes that just doesn't translate well.

Patrick's living up to his profile picture...are you sure you haven't accidentally turned yourself into Niles?
"Sherry, Niles?"
ProOperaVoter

Postby Patrick » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:44 am

ProOperaVoter wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Patrick's living up to his profile picture...are you sure you haven't accidentally turned yourself into Niles?

If I were to make the same kind of assumption about you I'd ask if you were presently drunk.

I hope I wasn't too subtle, though. I thought I had already explained that there was no translation involved but apparently some persons are hard of comprehending, it's quite unfortunate that they haven't devised a comprehending aid yet, that I know of.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:31 am

There are several jokes in Frasier that don't "translate" from the American English to the British English. So yes Patrick, there is translation involved.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Patrick » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:39 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:There are several jokes in Frasier that don't "translate" from the American English to the British English. So yes Patrick, there is translation involved.

Come on! The joke is not that subtle. I mean, we got it. Some people don't think it's funny is all, as they say in latin: de gustibus non est disputandum, IE in matters of taste there can be no disputes.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby frasier floyd » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:58 pm

Is all this talk stemming from my post of the boxing joke? For what it's worth, I'm American and didnt understand the joke so it wasn't lost in translation like some could be (jokes that reference American slang or culture). I just thought there was an underlying obscure reference here as there often are on Frasier- as it turned out I had just overlooked its' simplicity. As another member said, it was already well established that the Crane boys know little to nothing about sports so I didn't find it funny, but I'm sure many did!
frasier floyd

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:02 pm

I never said that everyone should find it funny. I just thought perhaps it was one of those things that didn't translate well. Frasier Floyd, I apologize if I somehow offended you.
CatNamedRudy

Postby frasier floyd » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:03 am

Oh I'm not offended! It's perfectly alright. I'm sure there are many jokes on Frasier that I find hilarious that others may think are lame. :-) We all love Frasier though!
frasier floyd

Postby dancing agamemnon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:02 am

ProOperaVoter wrote:On the subject of very non-funny jokes, are there any that you find unfunny to a point of opposition?

I feel like Roz gets most of the bad jokes, especially in earlier episodes like "Moon Dance"

Hey, Frederick Crane, you just finished the first grade, what are you going to do now?....I'm going to Butterworld!
dancing agamemnon

Postby ProOperaVoter » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:26 pm

I was just watching "Perfect Guy" and following Gil's speech about his sexuality, Frasier said "I have never known a man to actually be IN himself." This got a big laugh, but what does it mean?
"Sherry, Niles?"
ProOperaVoter

Postby frasier floyd » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:53 pm

I think Frasier said "that was the first time I've ever seen a man in himself", not "to be in himself". It's referring to the fact that when people decide to tell their friends/family that they're gay, it's known as coming out, as in coming out of the closet. Since Gil revealed that he was in fact straight (or at least married to a woman), Frasier said he in-ned himself since it's opposite.
frasier floyd

Postby Patrick » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:55 pm

ProOperaVoter wrote:I was just watching "Perfect Guy" and following Gil's speech about his sexuality, Frasier said "I have never known a man to actually be IN himself." This got a big laugh, but what does it mean?

It's the opposite of outing yourself, IE telling people that you are gay after having pretended to be straight heretofore.

What Frasier is saying is that Gil is telling people that he's straight after having convinced everybody that he was gay.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Ariel » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:13 pm

Not being into sport, opera or wine, an awful lot of the jokes go over my head!
"Love is an awesome force. It can make us do things we never imagined were possible. For you see, we don't actually choose love- it chooses us. And once it has, we are powerless to do anything about it."
Ariel

Postby Patrick » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:59 pm

Ariel wrote:Not being into sport, opera or wine, an awful lot of the jokes go over my head!

If you want those jokes to be explained to you, you'll have to be a little more specific. :D
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

PreviousNext

Return to Frasier Discussion