Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Recast Frasier... could any other actors do as well?

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Postby Wezzo » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:49 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:my mother pointed out that when she was born (in 1961) no one knew who Mel Gibson was. I'm not sure how old he is; had he actually been born in 1961?

He had, but he was only 5. IMDb
Wezzo

Re: Recast Frasier... could any other actors do as well?

Postby DHP » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:17 pm

RDWRER wrote:I've wondered if any other television actors could ever replace the beloved cast of Frasier and the show have had the huge success it did... or was this the freak example of the perfect casting of an ensemble.

For myself, I just can't see anyone portraying Niles or Martin any better than David Hyde Pierce and John Mahoney... with Jane Leeves and Kelsey Grammar right up there as well.

I don't think Frasier is a freak example of perfect ensemble casting. Check out The West Wing, The Lord of the Rings or Band of Brothers for three other examples of ensemble casts that are perfect. There are many others too. Frasier isn't quite as much an ensemble piece as the others though, as it more often than not has Frasier taking a more prominent place than the other characters. Daphne, and Roz especially, are often criminally underused. In the three listed above, there isn't an obvious character who gets the limelight, as everyone gets pretty much equal attention. Moreso than Frasier in my opinion anyway.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:27 pm

Wezzo wrote:He had, but he was only 5. IMDb

Ah, a 1956 baby!
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Amber » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:44 pm

DHP wrote: In the three listed above, there isn't an obvious character who gets the limelight, as everyone gets pretty much equal attention. Moreso than Frasier in my opinion anyway.

Makes sense after all, it is called "Frasier, and he was always intended to be a main character, which the other's being more "second main"

If LOTR had been named "Frodo," undoubtably the filmmakers would have given him an even picture part even in the book had been the exact same.
Huge Frasier/Beatles fan ^_^

Martin: Daphne, I just thought of something funny - it took 3 Cranes to lift you!
Hungry Heart - After Daphne is helped up by Niles, Frasier and Martin.
Amber

Postby Stratman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:58 pm

DHP wrote:
RDWRER wrote:I've wondered if any other television actors could ever replace the beloved cast of Frasier and the show have had the huge success it did... or was this the freak example of the perfect casting of an ensemble.

For myself, I just can't see anyone portraying Niles or Martin any better than David Hyde Pierce and John Mahoney... with Jane Leeves and Kelsey Grammar right up there as well.

I don't think Frasier is a freak example of perfect ensemble casting. Check out The West Wing, The Lord of the Rings or Band of Brothers for three other examples of ensemble casts that are perfect. There are many others too. Frasier isn't quite as much an ensemble piece as the others though, as it more often than not has Frasier taking a more prominent place than the other characters. Daphne, and Roz especially, are often criminally underused. In the three listed above, there isn't an obvious character who gets the limelight, as everyone gets pretty much equal attention. Moreso than Frasier in my opinion anyway.

NewsRadio and Battlestar Galactica are two more great examples of pitch perfect casting.
Stratman

Postby Janey » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:10 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:
Wezzo wrote:He had, but he was only 5. IMDb

Ah, a 1956 baby!

Wow, I thought he was older than that!
"And, uh, for your FYI, I'm cool for hanging out, just as platatonic friends, or whatever."
Janey

Postby Wezzo » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:22 pm

I don't actually think he's aged that much over the past ten or so years, but he did look quite old for his age back then..
Wezzo

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:20 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:My name is very similar to his, actually. Michelle Gibson.

Hehe, you've kept THIS quiet! :lol:

You have a very similar name to your idols, the Brothers Gibb!
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:21 am

Beer Necessity wrote:

You all knew I was a star really!

I'm proud to say that I am similiarly named to the very nice Bee Gees. In fact, my initials are the same as Maurice's. Well - technically they aren't. See, Michelle is my second name. My first name is Stephanie, but I've always been called Michelle. Nobody calls me Stephanie, except the people who work at the library, because I haven't bothered to tell them that everyone calls me Michelle. They're far too used to calling me Stephanie now, anyway.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:03 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:

I'm proud to say that I am similiarly named to the very nice Bee Gees. In fact, my initials are the same as Maurice's. Well - technically they aren't. See, Michelle is my second name. My first name is Stephanie, but I've always been called Michelle. Nobody calls me Stephanie, except the people who work at the library, because I haven't bothered to tell them that everyone calls me Michelle. They're far too used to calling me Stephanie now, anyway.

How do your parents feel about you using your middle name? Surely, they named you Stephanie because they liked that name. When did you decide to use your middle name rather than your forename?
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Stratman » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:22 am

Beer Necessity wrote:
Bee Gees Fan wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:

How do your parents feel about you using your middle name? Surely, they named you Stephanie because they liked that name. When did you decide to use your middle name rather than your forename?

She's giving them a kind of middle finger. :wink:
Stratman

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:50 am

Stratman wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Bee Gees Fan wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:

She's giving them a kind of middle finger. :wink:

I like that - Middle name = middle finger.

Incidentally I knew a lad who did exactly the same thing BGF so you're not alone.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Stratman » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:55 am

I've always wanted to be called Steven Weatherby. Call me crazy if you want, but I prefer Steven. :lol:
Stratman

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:06 am

Stratman wrote:I've always wanted to be called Steven Weatherby. Call me crazy if you want, but I prefer Steven. :lol:

I always wanted to be called 'Han'. :lol:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Stratman » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:09 am

:lol:
Stratman

Postby StiffUpperLip » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:57 am

Rachel Weisz as Daphne - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001838/
John Hannah as Niles - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001314/

BTW "The Mummy" is also an example for good casting.
Last edited by StiffUpperLip on Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
StiffUpperLip

Postby StiffUpperLip » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:00 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:As for Mel Gibson, I've heard he was drunk when he said those things, so he may not have meant what he said.

And I always thought that alcohol is loosing your toung so you say things you normally keep for yourself.
StiffUpperLip

Postby Stratman » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:02 am

Marina Sirtis as Daphne
Stratman

Postby RDWRER » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:19 pm

Amber wrote:
DHP wrote: In the three listed above, there isn't an obvious character who gets the limelight, as everyone gets pretty much equal attention. Moreso than Frasier in my opinion anyway.

Makes sense after all, it is called "Frasier, and he was always intended to be a main character, which the other's being more "second main"

For me, Niles was always the *star* of the show. For every snappy quip that was written for Frazier, Niles had two or three... and again, for me, I think Hyde Pierce delivered them as well or better than Grammar.

I do agree upthread that Leeves and Gilpin were sadly underused.
“My wife had left me, which was very painful. Then she came back to me, which was excruciating“.
RDWRER

Postby Stratman » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:24 pm

RDWRER wrote:
Amber wrote:

For me, Niles was always the *star* of the show. For every snappy quip that was written for Frazier, Niles had two or three... and again, for me, I think Hyde Pierce delivered them as well or better than Grammar.

He didn't deliver them, he said them, the writers delivered them. :wink: Grammar, for me, was far more accomplished at finding comedy in straight lines then David, which is why I consider him the true comedic talent of the show.
Stratman

Postby Frasier » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:31 pm

Stratman wrote:
RDWRER wrote:
Amber wrote:

He didn't deliver them, he said them, the writers delivered them. :wink: Grammar, for me, was far more accomplished at finding comedy in straight lines then David, which is why I consider him the true comedic talent of the show.

What do you mean by "Comedy in straight lines"?
Don't get me started on rationalistic pantheism or there go the whole three hours!
Frasier

Postby Stratman » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:36 pm

Frasier wrote:
Stratman wrote:
RDWRER wrote:
Amber wrote:

What do you mean by "Comedy in straight lines"?

Lines that weren't intenionally funny.
Stratman

Postby Frasier » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:38 pm

Ah I see! Yeah I agree with that.
Don't get me started on rationalistic pantheism or there go the whole three hours!
Frasier

Postby Paul B » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:41 pm

Frasier yelling "NILES!!!" in Something Borrowed, Someone Blue comes to mind. I can't think about that line without smiling.
Paul B

Postby Stratman » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:41 pm

Frasier wrote:Ah I see! Yeah I agree with that.

Kelsey, along with John Lithgow, Phil Hartman and Michael Richards were the kings of turning straight lines into comedy gold.
Stratman

PreviousNext

Return to Frasier Discussion