Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Last Frasier Episode You Watched.

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Postby Wezzo » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:01 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:I'm going to give the rest of S6 a miss for a week or so before finishing off the DVD.


Remind me BN - is S6 your favourite season? I know you're quite a fan of it, but I'm racking my brains trying to recall if you ever said it was your favourite.. it doesn't sound too likely, but I'm sure I vaguely recall it..
User avatar
Wezzo
 
Posts: 11585
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wiltshire, England

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:04 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:Which standup DVD's did you get BN?


Ricky Gervais' Animals and Politics box set which was very funny if slightly puerile and unsophisticated (I definitely laughed at a few things I shouldn't have! :lol: ) and also the Peter Kay live box set which was more gentle, nostalgic humour but probably more enjoyable than the Gervais routines in their own way. Having seen them I'm dying to re-watch both The Office and Phoenix Nights all the way through!
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:09 pm

Wezzo wrote:Remind me BN - is S6 your favourite season? I know you're quite a fan of it, but I'm racking my brains trying to recall if you ever said it was your favourite.. it doesn't sound too likely, but I'm sure I vaguely recall it..


No it's not, but it gets closer and closer to the first 5 seasons (which I all rate higher) every time I watch it. There’s just a few too many uneven episodes in S6 for it to be up there with the very best seasons but the 'classics' from that season are some of my favourite all time episodes.

I've recently said it's the DVD I return to the most (because I watched the other seasons to death when I owned them on VHS) so that's probably why you got the impression it's my favourite season.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Wezzo » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:11 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Wezzo wrote:Remind me BN - is S6 your favourite season? I know you're quite a fan of it, but I'm racking my brains trying to recall if you ever said it was your favourite.. it doesn't sound too likely, but I'm sure I vaguely recall it..


No it's not, but it gets closer and closer to the first 5 seasons (which I all rate higher) every time I watch it. There’s just a few too many uneven episodes in S6 for it to be up there with the very best seasons but the 'classics' from that season are some of my favourite all time episodes.

I've recently said it's the DVD I return to the most (because I watched the other seasons to death when I owned them on VHS) so that's probably why you got the impression it's my favourite season.


Yes, that's it.. my mistake.

It's increasingly very close to the first five for me as well - so is season 11, in fact. The fact about 1/4 of each season is duff compared to maybe 1/8 of S1-5 doesn't help - otherwise, they'd be up there for me.
User avatar
Wezzo
 
Posts: 11585
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wiltshire, England

Postby Cake for Brains » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:13 pm

I've seen all those; although I didn't think Gervais was half as good at standup as he is at sitcom. I wasn't too impressed with his routine, and I think he comes across as quite unlikeable.

Peter Kay is the opposite - there's no-one I don't know who doesn't find his standup hilarous. I watched with my Dad and brother at Easter, and its probably the only thing all year we've all watched and enjoyed together. I particularly like his 'Bolton Albert Halls' DVD - especially his thoughts on dunking biscuits, family weddings and cinema pick 'n mix.

My favourite stand-up comedian is Bill Bailey (ever seen his standup?), but Peter Kay is a close second.

Phoenix Nights is a DVD that I can't believe I don't own. That's just wrong of me!
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Postby Wezzo » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:14 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:there's no-one I don't know who doesn't find his standup hilarous


Double-negative overload! :D
User avatar
Wezzo
 
Posts: 11585
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wiltshire, England

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:15 pm

Wezzo wrote:The fact about 1/4 of each season is duff compared to maybe 1/8 of S1-5 doesn't help - otherwise, they'd be up there for me.


Good summation - I'd say those ratios are about right. It's funny though season 2 is a real curate’s egg for me. Half the season contains some of the best 'classics' of any season yet the other half is just, well, blah...
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Wezzo » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:18 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Wezzo wrote:The fact about 1/4 of each season is duff compared to maybe 1/8 of S1-5 doesn't help - otherwise, they'd be up there for me.


Good summation - I'd say those ratios are about right. It's funny though season 2 is a real curate’s egg for me. Half the season contains some of the best 'classics' of any season yet the other half is just, well, blah...


Strange, that - can't say I'd entirely agree, as S2 is my second favourite season, after S4. I would say that a lot of S2 is a bit forgettable, however - but every time I re-watch it I'm impressed by all of those I've forgotten - "Breaking the Ice" took me about five repeat viewings before I began to remember just how good it was, strangely.

I'd say your description of S2 probably more applies to S5 for me, actually - solid, but frequently unremarkable.
User avatar
Wezzo
 
Posts: 11585
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wiltshire, England

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:21 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:I've seen all those; although I didn't think Gervais was half as good at standup as he is at sitcom. I wasn't too impressed with his routine, and I think he comes across as quite unlikeable.

Peter Kay is the opposite - there's no-one I don't know who doesn't find his standup hilarous. I watched with my Dad and brother at Easter, and its probably the only thing all year we've all watched and enjoyed together. I particularly like his 'Bolton Albert Halls' DVD - especially his thoughts on dunking biscuits, family weddings and cinema pick 'n mix.

My favourite stand-up comedian is Bill Bailey (ever seen his standup?), but Peter Kay is a close second.

Phoenix Nights is a DVD that I can't believe I don't own. That's just wrong of me!


Oh that 'biscuit dunking' segment had me in stitches, especially the bit about having to bite the side of a rich tea to get it to fit into your cup! :lol:

My favourite stand up comedian has always been Ben Elton. Having had the pleasure of seeing him live (I was actually there at the Leeds Grand when the 1993 'Very Live' video was filmed) I can honestly say no one makes me laugh more than him.

US comedian Bill Hicks was great too. I've not heard of the fella you mentioned I'm afraid. And yes, not owning Phoenix on DVD is wrong, wrong, wrong! Sort it out! Can't remember what the extras were like though, which is another reason why I need a re-watch! :lol:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:23 pm

Wezzo wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:there's no-one I don't know who doesn't find his standup hilarous


Double-negative overload! :D


As long as we're being pedantic, that's the much-underused triple negative! :lol:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:28 pm

Wezzo wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Wezzo wrote:The fact about 1/4 of each season is duff compared to maybe 1/8 of S1-5 doesn't help - otherwise, they'd be up there for me.


Good summation - I'd say those ratios are about right. It's funny though season 2 is a real curate’s egg for me. Half the season contains some of the best 'classics' of any season yet the other half is just, well, blah...


Strange, that - can't say I'd entirely agree, as S2 is my second favourite season, after S4. I would say that a lot of S2 is a bit forgettable, however - but every time I re-watch it I'm impressed by all of those I've forgotten - "Breaking the Ice" took me about five repeat viewings before I began to remember just how good it was, strangely.

I'd say your description of S2 probably more applies to S5 for me, actually - solid, but frequently unremarkable.


For years I agreed with you, until we rated the season from "Top to Bottom" about a year or so ago. The lower half of S5 beat the lower half of S2 into a cocked hat if I remember rightly! Up until that point I'd always rated S2 higher simply because of the remarkable number of classic episodes it contained. Not just any classics either, we're talking crème de la crème here!
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Cake for Brains » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:28 pm

My favourite stand up comedian has always been Ben Elton. Having had the pleasure of seeing him live (I was actually there at the Leeds Grand when the 1993 'Very Live' video was filmed) I can honestly say no one makes me laugh more than him.


I've never seen him do stand up before - although I love Blackadder and have read 4 of his novels.

Phoenix Nights keeps getting re-issued on DVD, so it's hard to catch up. I think the current version comes with a bonus CD full of music tracks from the series.
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:31 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:Phoenix Nights keeps getting re-issued on DVD, so it's hard to catch up. I think the current version comes with a bonus CD full of music tracks from the series.


That definitely sounds worth a purchase, especially if you don't have it already!
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Wezzo » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:33 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Wezzo wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:there's no-one I don't know who doesn't find his standup hilarous


Double-negative overload! :D


As long as we're being pedantic, that's the much-underused triple negative! :lol:


Bollocks. :D I screwed that observation up good and proper..

Beer Necessity wrote:For years I agreed with you, until we rated the season from "Top to Bottom" about a year or so ago. The lower half of S5 beat the lower half of S2 into a cocked hat if I remember rightly! Up until that point I'd always rated S2 higher simply because of the remarkable number of classic episodes it contained. Not just any classics either, we're talking crème de la crème here!


Interesting, that. I haven't seen S5 in about nine months (a re-watch is due soon, clearly), so I won't comment further right now as I might be completely wrong - even at 16 the memory has its limits, apparently! But scanning through the episode titles right now, I think S2's more average episodes would beat S5's more average episodes..

Happy to be proved wrong, though.
User avatar
Wezzo
 
Posts: 11585
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wiltshire, England

Postby Cake for Brains » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:34 pm

That definitely sounds worth a purchase, especially if you don't have it already!


All for about £15 as well - damn my empty pockets!
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:56 pm

Wezzo wrote:Interesting, that. I haven't seen S5 in about nine months (a re-watch is due soon, clearly), so I won't comment further right now as I might be completely wrong - even at 16 the memory has its limits, apparently! But scanning through the episode titles right now, I think S2's more average episodes would beat S5's more average episodes..

Happy to be proved wrong, though.


Hmm, it might be worth resurrecting that 'top to bottom' thread idea to re-assess the seasons.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:56 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:
That definitely sounds worth a purchase, especially if you don't have it already!


All for about £15 as well - damn my empty pockets!


That's a steal!
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Cake for Brains » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:05 am

Hmm, it might be worth resurrecting that 'top to bottom' thread idea to re-assess the seasons.


Sounds like a good idea - I'm sure my opinions have changed dramatically since we did them. I'd like to make a new list, without looking at the one I did last year, and then compare the two to see how much my interpretation of various episodes has altered.
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:17 am

Cake for Brains wrote:
Hmm, it might be worth resurrecting that 'top to bottom' thread idea to re-assess the seasons.


Sounds like a good idea - I'm sure my opinions have changed dramatically since we did them. I'd like to make a new list, without looking at the one I did last year, and then compare the two to see how much my interpretation of various episodes has altered.


Good idea. I'll get that going at some point.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby DHP » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:13 pm

Mixed Doubles from season 4. Lots of fun to be had with this episode, but I noticed a continuity cock-up right at the start. Niles is peering through the telescope at a chair, the doorbell rings, Daphne walks in, and in a matter of seconds, Niles is standing quite casually on the other side of the room with a glass of something in his hand while Frasier gets up from behind the telescope.

I don't normally spot goofs like this and I don't much care for them either, preferring to ignore them on the rare occasions when I do spot them as I like to just enjoy the story and characters regardless of whether someone teleports to another side of a room, or has something in one hand in one scene and seconds later it cuts to the same object in the other hand. Just thought I'd share it though, in case anyone's interested.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
User avatar
DHP
 
Posts: 3102
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Postby Wezzo » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:38 pm

Batch from S4 with the family, Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon.

A Crane's Critique A-
Head Game B+
Mixed Doubles A+
A Lilith Thanksgiving A+
Our Father Whose Art Ain't Heaven A
Dad Loves Sherry, The Boys Just Whine A+
Liar, Liar A-
Three Days Of The Condo A+

Excellent batch!
User avatar
Wezzo
 
Posts: 11585
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wiltshire, England

Postby me123 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:37 pm

Couldn't agree more, Wezzo! S4 features many of the greatest episodes of Frasier, and it has to be in the running for best season.

Just to add: "The Seal who came to dinner": from S6, a good episode in a struggling season so far. (In relation to previous seasons). B+
Last edited by me123 on Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
me123
 
Posts: 2781
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:40 am

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:11 pm

A Crane's Critique A-
Head Game B+
Mixed Doubles A+
A Lilith Thanksgiving A+
Our Father Whose Art Ain't Heaven A
Dad Loves Sherry, The Boys Just Whine A+
Liar, Liar A-
Three Days Of The Condo A+


Fantastic batch!
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Postby Wezzo » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:27 am

me123 wrote:Couldn't agree more, Wezzo! S4 features many of the greatest episodes of Frasier, and it has to be in the running for best season.


I think it's my favourite season actually, just ahead of S2.
User avatar
Wezzo
 
Posts: 11585
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wiltshire, England

Postby DHP » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:04 am

Sweet Dreams. Pretty funny for the most part and on the pleasant side of average, but a poor attempt at a cliffhanger really.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
User avatar
DHP
 
Posts: 3102
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

PreviousNext

Return to Frasier Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


© Site contents are copyright Stuart Lee 1999 - 2019. This is a Frasier fan site and is not affiliated in any way with the program, Grub St Productions, Paramount or NBC.