Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Last Frasier Episode You Watched.

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Re: The Last Frasier Episode You Watched.

Postby Patrick » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:02 pm

Forever Jung wrote:
hansenkd wrote:The most hilarious thing is when Frasier talks about Golda Meir's son Oscar. Made more hilarious by the fact that most Oscar Meyer products contain pork or ham.

:twisted: I remember I had to have that joke explained to me on this forum :lol:
I don't think we have OM products here in merry old Englad, i've certainly never seen any, so I didn't get the gag at all at the time.

We don't have them either here in France but for some reason the name seemed familiar to me at the time, so it still sounded funny. I just didn't know why or as Daphne would say "I don't know why..." It's like eggs Benedict, it sounds like a French recipe, yet it's a hundred percent American. Or the judicial Voire-dire procedure. It's a hundred percent NOT French even though it's named with a French expression. Our accused don't get to preselect their jurors any more than our candidates to an election get to preselect their voters. If you're competent enough to vote then you're competent enough to be a juror. End of story.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Forever Jung » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:07 pm

Patrick wrote: " It's like eggs Benedict, it sounds like a French recipe, yet it's a hundred percent American.

:twisted: How about Eggs Benedict Arnold?

It's an egg that roles to the other side of your plate halfway through your meal :lol:

Thank you thank you, i'm here all week, try the veal :D
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby Patrick » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:15 pm

Forever Jung wrote:
Patrick wrote: " It's like eggs Benedict, it sounds like a French recipe, yet it's a hundred percent American.

:twisted: How about Eggs Benedict Arnold?

It's an egg that roles to the other side of your plate halfway through your meal :lol:

Thank you thank you, i'm here all week, try the veal :D

I'd have imagined that England had a Benedict Arnold day, after all he was some kind of hero for you guys. :lol: Wasn't he also the inventor of the reversible coat? :D
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Forever Jung » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:03 pm

:twisted: Apparently he wasn't all bad :D

Sorry, this thread has gone right off the topic :shock: :lol:
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby Patrick » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:46 pm

Wheels of Fortune: Frasier goes about it all wrong. If he really wanted to expose the guy he should have pretended that he believed him and then taken the guy by surprise while he was on stage, ( a well placed pin or lighted match at a crucial moment and the guy would have jumped out of his chair like a kangaroo) Anyway, it's just hard to believe that intelligent educated people could fall for something like that.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:14 am

Patrick wrote:Wheels of Fortune: Frasier goes about it all wrong. If he really wanted to expose the guy he should have pretended that he believed him and then taken the guy by surprise while he was on stage, ( a well placed pin or lighted match at a crucial moment and the guy would have jumped out of his chair like a kangaroo) Anyway, it's just hard to believe that intelligent educated people could fall for something like that.

Otherwise intelligent people fall for stuff like that all the time. All you have to do is look at Scientologists and American Republicans for examples! :D
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:23 am

Travels With Martin 9.5/10

This is one of those episodes that brings me back to the way things were pre 9-11. Americans able to travel freely between the US and Canada and the US and Mexico without a passport. Not so much any more.

I love Niles response when the border guard asks him what his purpose was in Canada. "Fun." :lol:
CatNamedRudy

Postby Patrick » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:10 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:Travels With Martin 9.5/10

This is one of those episodes that brings me back to the way things were pre 9-11. Americans able to travel freely between the US and Canada and the US and Mexico without a passport. Not so much any more.

I love Niles response when the border guard asks him what his purpose was in Canada. "Fun." :lol:

You know, it is just the opposite for us now. Since Jan 2002 we can travel throughout the Eurozone without being stopped at a border or having to use a different currency. Of course it was a bit lax already back then but I remember as a small child when we had to stop and be controlled each time we would go to Belgian and back and it is only a stone's throw away from where we lived. The border patrol would stop us the same way they did in that episode and ask us all sorts of stupid questions when all we wanted was to spend a day in Brussels or something like that. Well, no more!
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:10 am

Deathtrap: Daphne's show-rat speech... weird! Plus I am not buying that both Niles and Frasier would have completely forgotten about the Skull incident, among other things, like how quickly the police arrested the guy without probable cause, a sure way to lose a suspect in a court of law...

One thing that I don't find funny at all: Betting money with a child!!! Revolting! If ever I learned that an adult did that to one of my kids... That's one thing I can never get used to. It's how often you Americans make bets just about anything. We say things like "I bet you etc..." but to us that's just an expression, you guys are serious. To tell you the truth I have never bet money in my life. I have bought lottery tickets a few times collectively but that was more of a social thing than anything else.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby hansenkd » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:27 pm

Patrick--The "show rat" speech is blatant self-parody. Daphne didn't really give those kinds of speeches from about Season 6 on, and when she did so in the earlier seasons, Niles NEVER commented on their loopiness (though Frasier often would). Now that Niles has her, she gives a wild English backstory speech like she used to do in the first five seasons and which Niles ALWAYS either ignored or found utterly enchanting, and he finally admits to Frasier how bizarre it is. And it's quite isolated too.
hansenkd

Postby Patrick » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:00 pm

hansenkd wrote:Patrick--The "show rat" speech is blatant self-parody. Daphne didn't really give those kinds of speeches from about Season 6 on, and when she did so in the earlier seasons, Niles NEVER commented on their loopiness (though Frasier often would). Now that Niles has her, she gives a wild English backstory speech like she used to do in the first five seasons and which Niles ALWAYS either ignored or found utterly enchanting, and he finally admits to Frasier how bizarre it is. And it's quite isolated too.

I am sorry but I have to disagree with you on that. It wasn't an isolated incident. In Junior agent Daphne starts a long story about how her brother billy unlike Martin liked being examined by doctors and continues to say that he then had all sorts of experiments done on him at which point Martin asks discreetly of Niles if he thinks she's finished and Niles answers with the same air of connivance "wait for it." at which point Daphne delivers the punchline "One year he grew little boobies.". So that shows clearly that Niles was fully aware and willing to admit to the kookiness of Daphne's stories.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby hansenkd » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:16 pm

OK--but the point is that these things are far less common from Season 6 on, and that in those early seasons Niles would have never reacted this way. It took the events of "Daphne Returns" for that to happen.
hansenkd

Postby Patrick » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:15 pm

hansenkd wrote:OK--but the point is that these things are far less common from Season 6 on, and that in those early seasons Niles would have never reacted this way. It took the events of "Daphne Returns" for that to happen.

Yes, you're right "Daphne Returns" was the breaking point when he had to choose between seeing Daphne as she really was or maybe lose her forever. There wasn't much idealisation of Daphne after that. I don't remember Niles using the word Goddess to describe her, from that moment on, or words in the same vein.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Eddie2012 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:42 am

(I am working my way through season 9 on ComedyCentral at the moment and I am slowly losing all interest in watching it at all...)

Motherload 1+2
First part was reasonably funny, but the second part was rather disappointing. The flag business was silly; a similar situation to the art forgery storyline – injustice is done to Frasier and everyone laughs it off… quite annoying.

Today it’ll be Wheel of Fortune and next week War of Words. Yay…. I might stick to my book instead.
Eddie2012

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:16 pm

Adventures in Paradise 1 and 2 9.9/10

I love this two parter. Some great lines and a lot of fun.

I would have liked to have seen Madeline Marshal stick around for a couple of more episodes.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Patrick » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:27 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Adventures in Paradise 1 and 2 9.9/10

I love this two parter. Some great lines and a lot of fun.

I would have liked to have seen Madeline Marshal stick around for a couple of more episodes.

I guess she couldn't get past the image of Frasier wrecking that bed while making fake love noises. :lol:
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby hansenkd » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:47 am

Eddie2012 wrote:(I am working my way through season 9 on ComedyCentral at the moment and I am slowly losing all interest in watching it at all...)

Motherload 1+2
First part was reasonably funny, but the second part was rather disappointing. The flag business was silly; a similar situation to the art forgery storyline – injustice is done to Frasier and everyone laughs it off… quite annoying.

Today it’ll be Wheel of Fortune and next week War of Words. Yay…. I might stick to my book instead.

Take heart and slog through. The very ending of Season 9 is one hell of a payoff for wading through the dross...
hansenkd

Postby Patrick » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:36 am

hansenkd wrote:
Eddie2012 wrote:(I am working my way through season 9 on ComedyCentral at the moment and I am slowly losing all interest in watching it at all...)

Motherload 1+2

Take heart and slog through. The very ending of Season 9 is one hell of a payoff for wading through the dross...

Come on! It's not that bad, is it?
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby hansenkd » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:49 pm

Season 9 has some very good episodes, but some very poor ones as well. In general, I think that Season 10 has a higher consistency of quality, but it is remembered as a less good season than 9 simply based on the way each respective season ended--and the huge division of opinion on the heart surgery arc in 10. Anyway, the last taste left in our mouths by S9 was the beautiful scene where Daphne asked Niles to marry her now--and then explained why. The last taste left by S10 was the not so beautiful scene where Roz gave Frasier a ridiculous ultimatum.

Still S9 has some rather bad moments. They decided to age Alice, which was fine, but they should have reshot that scene in "Room Full of Heroes," which still had her as a toddler but was filmed before "Love Stinks," where she was a preschooler (which was actually appropriate at that point). Some of the worst Saladin Patterson gems are strewn throughout the season. They wasted Kristin Chenoweth in a bit part. They waffled on what they wanted to do with Kirby before he suddenly vanished. Frasier had no major love interest in the entire season, despite the supposed epiphany in the season premiere. The stunt casting of Michael Keaton was stooping to Will and Grace-style tactics. It's just a schizophrenic season that represents the show at its best and worst--purging some of the worst aspects of S8 while introducing new annoyances.
hansenkd

Postby stephenthom » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:41 pm

I just watched 'out with dad' again after a long time and I really didn't like it-i read some enthusiastic reviews on here so i'd be interested to know if i'm in a minority on that? I probably won't explain it right, but It felt a little like boxes were being ticked,like a list of ideas,all a bit forced -martin pretends to be gay, niles pretends to be his boyfriend- and the scene at the opera where he first says he's gay (or she does), he is already doing a fine job of politely spurning her advances anyway so I didn't think he really had to go down that route. at the heart of the matchmaker is a genuine misunderstanding and here it is a strange lie on his part, and I didn't find it particularly funny watching him being a bit camp.
stephenthom

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:50 pm

You are definitely in the minority. Out With Dad is one of the most popular episodes of the series.

I personally find it hysterical. Yes, they do "check boxes" but that's kind of the point. Martin out of his element and trying to "gay it up".
CatNamedRudy

Postby Eddie2012 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:51 pm

Patrick wrote:Come on! It's not that bad, is it?

Yes, it is :twisted:
I started to watch Wheels of Fortune, but gave up after a few minutes. Life's too short.
I always thought S8 is the worst season, but now I am not so sure anymore. S9 has exactly one episode (Bla-Z-Boy) that I really, really like, but the rest... The biggest problem I have with those two seasons is the mediocrity of nearly all episodes. Beautiful scenes they may have here and there, but I find those scenes at the same time boring, sorry. And it doesn’t help that I don’t really care about N&D’s relationship.
I find S10 by far more interesting. True, it contains some of the biggest stinkers in the history of Frasier, but also a handful of really good ones. That’s why I prefer it to S8 and 9. I enjoy the several ones I like and completely ignore the rest; something I find difficult to achieve in S8 and 9.
Eddie2012

Postby Frasiertime » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:02 pm

Eddie2012 wrote:

I started to watch Wheels of Fortune, but gave up after a few minutes. Life's too short.
I always thought S8 is the worst season, but now I am not so sure anymore. S9 has exactly one episode (Bla-Z-Boy) that I really, really like, but the rest... The biggest problem I have with those two seasons is the mediocrity of nearly all episodes. Beautiful scenes they may have here and there, but I find those scenes at the same time boring, sorry. And it doesn’t help that I don’t really care about N&D’s relationship.
I find S10 by far more interesting. True, it contains some of the biggest stinkers in the history of Frasier, but also a handful of really good ones. That’s why I prefer it to S8 and 9. I enjoy the several ones I like and completely ignore the rest; something I find difficult to achieve in S8 and 9.

I agree S8 and S9 didn't have much to offer - but two eps stand out - S8 Hooping Cranes - Niles making the basketball shot on live tv-great ep! And S8 The New Friend - Frasier remains friends with Roz's ex-boyfriend. The scene of Roz and Frasier falling out of the closet in the guy's boat is really funny.
One of the best things about watching Frasier is the rewind button!
Frasiertime

Postby Patrick » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:12 pm

Frasiertime wrote:
Eddie2012 wrote:

I agree S8 and S9 didn't have much to offer - but two eps stand out - S8 Hooping Cranes - Niles making the basketball shot on live tv-great ep! And S8 The New Friend - Frasier remains friends with Roz's ex-boyfriend. The scene of Roz and Frasier falling out of the closet in the guy's boat is really funny.

What's funny is all this fuss about something that was none of Frasier's business or Roz's either for that matter. Roz and him weren't married or even engaged, what's with this obsession about exclusive sex or guys sticking their noses in other couple's business. It's one thing if they were married even though I know of couples that don't give a damn about what the other one is doing but here we are light years away from that. That's something I find funny but likely not for the reasons intended.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:21 pm

Wow. Really? So unless you are married or engaged you don't have to be faithful to your girlfriend/boyfriend?

Unless there is in fact an agreement in place where you say you're going to date other people, when you're in an exclusive relationship, you don't date or sleep with other people. I'm guessing Roz was unaware of any such agreement. Roz had every reason to be upset and Frasier was just protecting his friend. If the guy I was dating was dating other people I'd want to know.
CatNamedRudy

PreviousNext

Return to Frasier Discussion