Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Capital Punishment

A forum for any Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum

Should the death penalty be part of the modern justice system?

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes : 18

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:04 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:There's not much compassion around here is there. People seem to either want the death penalty or put offenders in prison for the rest of their lives 'to teach them a lesson'. Why is no one talking about rehabilitation?

Just remember that if a 16 year old boy has sex with his 15 year old girlfriend he is technically guilty of having sex with a minor, and will be placed on the sex offenders' register, possibly as a paedophile. Seems a bit harsh to give the lad a choice between castration or life imprisonment in that situation... :shock:

I'd like to think i wasn't pro either of those options. Ouro, certainly didn't convey that either. The only time i'd call for longer sentences is for repeat offenders, who've been given the 2nd, 3rd, 4th... chance. I'm not sure what other option is left for someone who repeatedly commits crime. I'd always prefer to see people given help when needed.

Also, regarding the 2nd point. I have a mate that was jailed and put on the SOR on release, based purely on the perjured evidence of his ex-wife reporting that he'd breached an exlusion/prevention order. No word of a lie. Tell him sentences aren't strong enough. Sentencing is strong in our country, no matter what the tabloids might tell you, but we generally do a pretty decent job - especially in comparison to many other places.

I've also always wondered why there's a register for so-called sex offenders, but not one for burglars, robbers, fraudsters, whatever other crime. I just don't know what the difference is for needing to know these things?
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby ouroboros » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:25 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:And despite saying that I wouldn't rule out the death penalty completely, I do think that it should be used very, very sparingly. Rehabilitation is definitely preferable, but the argument I've come up against when I've said this before is that a lot of people seem to be of the opinion that a paedophile can't be rehabilitated. Also, to be completely honest, part of me wonders how I would feel about it if it was my own child, or one of my nieces, that had been abused. :?

Everyone would feel differently if it was there child/spouse/parent etc whatever the crime. That's why we're not allowed to take the law into our own hands, too many emotions that cloud the issue.

Criminals should be given a chance for rehabilitation, but I wouldn't expect any victim of their crime to happily reside next door to them. Though I do believe somehow it is imperative to forgive, if only for your own mental wellbeing.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth". Oscar Wilde
ouroboros

Postby ouroboros » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:28 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I've also always wondered why there's a register for so-called sex offenders, but not one for burglars, robbers, fraudsters, whatever other crime. I just don't know what the difference is for needing to know these things?

Name and shame makes me sick. And the people that stand at the court house often not related in any way to the crime but have been whipped up into a frenzy probably down to reading the tabloids and mass hysteria. Look at their sick and twisted contorted faces out for blood. Hardly makes them any different.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth". Oscar Wilde
ouroboros

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:57 pm

ouroboros wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:I've also always wondered why there's a register for so-called sex offenders, but not one for burglars, robbers, fraudsters, whatever other crime. I just don't know what the difference is for needing to know these things?

Name and shame makes me sick. And the people that stand at the court house often not related in any way to the crime but have been whipped up into a frenzy probably down to reading the tabloids and mass hysteria. Look at their sick and twisted contorted faces out for blood. Hardly makes them any different.

The difference is that sex offenders (especially those that target children) are predatory in nature. And, they are more likely to re-offend than your average burglar. Too, as I said earlier, a child sex predator will almost always have countless victims before they ever get caught.

Also, when a burglar is living next door to you, it's unlikely that the burglar is going to kidnap or perp your kid. The chances of that with a sex offender are a bit more likely!

I don't agree with the radical behavior that people exhibit when they discover that a sex offender is living amongst them. I have a difficult time with Vigilante Justice and torching someone's house certainly isn't the way to go about voicing your concerns!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby ouroboros » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:58 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
ouroboros wrote:

The difference is that sex offenders (especially those that target children) are predatory in nature. And, they are more likely to re-offend than your average burglar. Too, as I said earlier, a child sex predator will almost always have countless victims before they ever get caught.

Also, when a burglar is living next door to you, it's unlikely that the burglar is going to kidnap or perp your kid. The chances of that with a sex offender are a bit more likely!

I don't agree with the radical behavior that people exhibit when they discover that a sex offender is living amongst them. I have a difficult time with Vigilante Justice and torching someone's house certainly isn't the way to go about voicing your concerns!

With my out for blood comment I guess I had in my mind the scenes from the Jamie Bulger case. People wanted to tear those kids apart! Hence making them imho not too different.

Regards sex offenders being predatory I have no doubt that they need to be monitored by the proper authorities. But the idea that this should become public knowledge turns my stomach. People on mass are renowned for being incredibly dumb and panicky.
ouroboros

Postby Chocolate Fan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:00 pm

One thing I've noticed in the US is that Southern States (including California) tend to handle the vast majority of the executions, which are something of a rarity in the North. Partiularly Texas, California And Florida seem to execute the greatest number of people, whereas some states only execute a couple of people every few years. :?

Perhaps the trigger-happy southerners take the second ammendment too literally, whilst the state ignores the eighth ammendment. (Have I got the numbers correct?)
Chocolate Fan

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:04 pm

ouroboros wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:
ouroboros wrote:

With my out for blood comment I guess I had in my mind the scenes from the Jamie Bulger case. People wanted to tear those kids apart! Hence making them imho not too different.

Regards sex offenders being predatory I have no doubt that they need to be monitored by the proper authorities. But the idea that this should become public knowledge turns my stomach. People on mass are renowned for being incredibly dumb and panicky.

Yes, people are dumb and panicky and it frustrates the hell out of me when people overreact but having worked with sex offenders on a daily basis for over 15, I know how their minds work and it scares the hell out of me. I understand the need for informing the public.

If I had young children I would like to know if the nice, quiet guy next door who has all the toys in his yard and invites all the kids over to his house to play is a sex offender! (chances are he is!)
CatNamedRudy

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:09 pm

Chocolate Fan wrote:One thing I've noticed in the US is that Southern States (including California) tend to handle the vast majority of the executions, which are something of a rarity in the North. Partiularly Texas, California And Florida seem to execute the greatest number of people, whereas some states only execute a couple of people every few years. :?

Perhaps the trigger-happy southerners take the second ammendment too literally, whilst the state ignores the eighth ammendment. (Have I got the numbers correct?)

I'm not sure what the execution rate in California is. I believe though that Texas has the highest rate of execution. But then again, Texas is an entity unto themselves! :wink:
CatNamedRudy

Postby Chocolate Fan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:32 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I'm not sure what the execution rate in California is. I believe though that Texas has the highest rate of execution. But then again, Texas is an entity unto themselves! :wink:

I believe that, ATM, Texas has the highest death rate, but California has more Death Row inmantes. Probably 'cos Texas kill's them all off :lol: Talk about irony.

This makes interesting reading indeed. About half the executions in the US took place in Texas and Virginia. 37% of executions since 1976 occured in TX. :shock: Whereas the like of Idaho and Wyoming have hosted only a single execution in the same time.

669 Californian inmates, however, compares with 370 Texans and 388 Floiridians. California have executed a mere 13 times since the introduction of the Death Penalty, and hardly anyone leaves Death Row. That's just down right cruel. They ca't exactly say that executions are cheaper in CA!
Chocolate Fan

Postby JT » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:50 am

Chocolate Fan wrote:One thing I've noticed in the US is that Southern States (including California) tend to handle the vast majority of the executions, which are something of a rarity in the North. Partiularly Texas, California And Florida seem to execute the greatest number of people, whereas some states only execute a couple of people every few years. :?

Don't include my adopted California among the 'Southern' states. The geography, physical and cultural, would be off a wee bit there. Texas, Florida, and my home state of Virginia are indeed at the top of the capital punishment states. Its one of the few things I admire about those states (except Virginia does have some redeeming qualities (and some not so redeeming)). The 'Northern' states - with all there worldly urbanity and enlightened morality :roll: - view something as Just and commonsensical as the death penalty as being regressive.
What fresh hell is this?
JT

Postby JT » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:54 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Yes, people are dumb and panicky and it frustrates the hell out of me when people overreact

It frustrates the hell out of me when people underreact.
What fresh hell is this?
JT

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:19 pm

JT wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:
Yes, people are dumb and panicky and it frustrates the hell out of me when people overreact

So, you think it's perfectly ok and just to torch someone's house because they are a convicted sex offender?

You think the proverbial 'lynch mob' and vigilante justice is a good thing?
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:56 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:The difference is that sex offenders (especially those that target children) are predatory in nature. And, they are more likely to re-offend than your average burglar. Too, as I said earlier, a child sex predator will almost always have countless victims before they ever get caught.

You work in your own system, so get to see things at first hand, but your country must be completely different to ours if burglars are less likely to re-offend :shock: The figures for how many times the same people are arrested before even being charged, then how many offences they are convicted for before receiving a custodial sentence, then recalled for breaching the terms of their release - all for the same group of offences relating to burglary, theft, car crime, etc, are quite high over here, and probably make up a good bulk of the crime rate.

How much would it prey on the mind to know a person convicted of firearms offences, drugs offences, or of GBH/ABH living next door to you? It's the perception of fear that makes people do irrational things. Would parents not be as much scared to know a convicted drug dealer lived next door to themselves or a school?

I'm not trying to relate offences against a person to offences against property, although how many times do you hear about people being mentally destroyed by their home being broken into,. to the point they no longer feel safe in that home and have to move somewhere else? People talk of feeling violated or raped - i can't comment on that as i didn't feel that way when our house was done over many years ago, but if a few people feel that way it's enough not to dismiss the severity, i suppose. I was a bit more peeved when the cops knew who it was, caught him doing another place several nights later, only for him to be bailed before his magistrates appearance - to, guess what, not turn up for his sentencing. He had more than 100 convictions for similar offences and the police had arrested him so many times, and seen him released and re-offend it was unreal. Not seen to be as serious as the likes of Chris Langham, though :roll:

CatNamedRudy wrote:Also, when a burglar is living next door to you, it's unlikely that the burglar is going to kidnap or perp your kid. The chances of that with a sex offender are a bit more likely!

No, but as i mentioned above, the chances of having your child offered drugs by the convicted dealer must be much higher, or maybe having them offered cheap fenced goods by the convicted burglar? (nobody minds that when they're getting a good deal though - (just lightening a heavy topic :) )).

Again, i've got to take address with the notion that sex offender automatically equals child molester. My mate, who has an offence to register him, which is nothing to do with a minor or any physical assualt, etc, would be automatically seen in that light by people who found out he was on the register, i imagine? There are, by definition of some offences, some terrible people on the register, but you have served your sentence so you're being punished twice, in a way. If you're considered so bad, and yet out free, then maybe that is the bit that needs to be looked at - not the need for a register. To have a wide scope of offences be tarred under one brush in the eyes of the hoi poloi, rather than monitored in the hands of accountable professionals, seems troublesome to me.

CatNamedRudy wrote:I don't agree with the radical behavior that people exhibit when they discover that a sex offender is living amongst them. I have a difficult time with Vigilante Justice and torching someone's house certainly isn't the way to go about voicing your concerns!

I'm curious as to how it works in your first-hand experience. Do you deal much with chasing people who simply don't bother to register, and do you have to deal with many problems related to a person being either targeted, or causing problems themselves, within an area they reside. I can't see what problem it causes if the local authorities are aware rather than all and sundry?

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:00 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
JT wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:

So, you think it's perfectly ok and just to torch someone's house because they are a convicted sex offender?

What things do people underreact to JT?

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:00 pm

Did anyone see Panorama on BBC1 last night? It was about anti-social behaviour, and how scared the majority of people are to tackle it, even if it's happening repeatedly outside of their own house.

I have to admit, I would be very nervous about going up to a group of people who were vandalising property, drinking or similar. There was one girl they interviewed who's father was actually murdered more or less on his doorstep by a gang of youths that he confronted. Of course the BBC want to interview people like this because it makes good TV - but rare or not, it shows that it does happen on occasion.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:13 pm

In answer to your question regarding chasing down people who fail to register MC: We have an entire unit devoted to just that. It's actually called The Sex Offender Registry unit.

They are responsible for tracking those who are supposed to be registered and when they can't locate them, they search and also inform law enforcement.

Failing to register is a punishable offense and there are some who are presently on supervision for it.

In response to the re-offending stuff, let me rephrase what I said. People convicted of property crimes do indeed re-offend and they certainly re-offend at a decent rate. However, they also get CAUGHT a lot faster when they do re-offend. They don't have hundreds of victims under their belts before they caught. That's the difference in offenses.

Sex Offenders LITERALLY have hundreds of victims (or have assulted the same victim hundreds of times) before they EVER get caught. The same cannot be said for the generic proprety criminal. I supposed you could say that drug dealers have hundreds of offenses if you count every deal they make but I don't think it's the same of perping a little kid.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:57 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:In answer to your question regarding chasing down people who fail to register MC: We have an entire unit devoted to just that. It's actually called The Sex Offender Registry unit.

They are responsible for tracking those who are supposed to be registered and when they can't locate them, they search and also inform law enforcement.

Failing to register is a punishable offense and there are some who are presently on supervision for it.

In response to the re-offending stuff, let me rephrase what I said. People convicted of property crimes do indeed re-offend and they certainly re-offend at a decent rate. However, they also get CAUGHT a lot faster when they do re-offend. They don't have hundreds of victims under their belts before they caught. That's the difference in offenses.

Sex Offenders LITERALLY have hundreds of victims (or have assulted the same victim hundreds of times) before they EVER get caught. The same cannot be said for the generic proprety criminal. I supposed you could say that drug dealers have hundreds of offenses if you count every deal they make but I don't think it's the same of perping a little kid.

Thanks Cat. Fair enough. I'm still not keen on it. You're either convicted, serve your sentence and are free to get on with your life, or you're not. If you're still classed as a danger to the public then i'm not sure why you should be out.

I'll take that as 'some' offenders have literally hundreds of victims, i'm certain that's an absolute minority as with any offence. As i said, i know for certain that not all sex offenders are like that or even on there for similar reasons. Certainly not making light of it though. Again, if there's hundreds of offences i doubt they would be getting out in a short time. I'd assume a repeat offence would be a seriously long sentence, too?

You might see a difference with regards to a drug dealer, but i'd expect parents might have grave reservations about knowing a dealer convicted of supplying, maybe even of dealing to minors, is living in their street? That's not my opinion, i don't think there should be registers for anyone, but just a thought, is all.

I've got a potentially daft question? It regards the different age of consent laws between our nations? If a guy had a 16-year-old girl-friend over here, and went on holiday with her to the USA. If he had sex with her would he be charged with statutory rape or whatever it is?

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:14 pm

I've got a potentially daft question? It regards the different age of consent laws between our nations? If a guy had a 16-year-old girl-friend over here, and went on holiday with her to the USA. If he had sex with her would he be charged with statutory rape or whatever it is?

It would actually depend where they were within the US. Each state sets it's own "consent" age and it rages from I believe 15 in some of the southern states (I could be wrong on that...it may be that no state is lower than 16) to 18 here in Wisconsin.

Having said that, if he were caught and charged in Wisconsin, given that the girl if 16, he would be charged with a misdemeanor offense. A 4th Degree Sexual Assault. This would not result in him being placed on the registry. However it WOULD make him a sex offender in the eyes of my department and he would be supervised on a sex offender caseload.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:25 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:

It would actually depend where they were within the US. Each state sets it's own "consent" age and it rages from I believe 15 in some of the southern states (I could be wrong on that...it may be that no state is lower than 16) to 18 here in Wisconsin.

Having said that, if he were caught and charged in Wisconsin, given that the girl if 16, he would be charged with a misdemeanor offense. A 4th Degree Sexual Assault. This would not result in him being placed on the registry. However it WOULD make him a sex offender in the eyes of my department and he would be supervised on a sex offender caseload.

Interesting. Are there no states with a 21 age limit? Or is that just for alcohol? I'm assuming that offence would then carry with him back into the UK and be on his record, where it's never an offence in the first place. He would be a registered offender over here for something that's not illegal in this country. Weird isn't it? Also, would that mean he'd not be allowed back into the country in the future? Not sure why i'm asking really. Just popped into my head.

Sorry people, i've taken this completely off-track :)

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:37 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:

Interesting. Are there no states with a 21 age limit? Or is that just for alcohol? I'm assuming that offence would then carry with him back into the UK and be on his record, where it's never an offence in the first place. He would be a registered offender over here for something that's not illegal in this country. Weird isn't it? Also, would that mean he'd not be allowed back into the country in the future? Not sure why i'm asking really. Just popped into my head.

21 is only the legal drinking age and that's universal. The 'legal' age for voting and joining the military is 18. 18 is considered to be an adult in most areas, except drinking.

Oddly, in Wisconsin, the age of consent is 18 BUT, if a 17 year old commits a crime, they are considered an adult and charged as such.

I'm not sure how the registration thing works. If they aren't required to register here I'm not sure if they would be required to register there.

I don't believe he would be restricted entry back into the US because he would not be a convicted felon. (only a misdemeanant).
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:40 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Interesting. Are there no states with a 21 age limit? Or is that just for alcohol? I'm assuming that offence would then carry with him back into the UK and be on his record, where it's never an offence in the first place. He would be a registered offender over here for something that's not illegal in this country. Weird isn't it? Also, would that mean he'd not be allowed back into the country in the future? Not sure why i'm asking really. Just popped into my head.

Not at all, I'm quite interested in this myself.

Cat, has the gay age of consent ever been different in the US? For years over here is was 16 for hetero couples but 21 for gay couples - unbelievable really.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:45 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Interesting. Are there no states with a 21 age limit? Or is that just for alcohol? I'm assuming that offence would then carry with him back into the UK and be on his record, where it's never an offence in the first place. He would be a registered offender over here for something that's not illegal in this country. Weird isn't it? Also, would that mean he'd not be allowed back into the country in the future? Not sure why i'm asking really. Just popped into my head.

Not at all, I'm quite interested in this myself.

Cat, has the gay age of consent ever been different in the US? For years over here is was 16 for hetero couples but 21 for gay couples - unbelievable really.

There is no difference in the consent laws in regards to same sex couples. HOWEVER, there were Anti-Sodomy laws in place up until just very recently. Texas actually arrested and prosecuted male homosexuals for violating such laws. Texas I believe finally repealed their law within the last year or so. At least I think it's been repealed. It might still be on the books but the last person they tried to prosecute for it was aquitted and the Supreme Court ruled the law unconstitutional.
CatNamedRudy

Postby JT » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:18 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
JT wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:

Right, Cat. I see where you get the logic of me saying that 'people under reacting scares the hell out of me' means that i think it is ok to 'torch someone's house'.

Just look at the over-concern for the welfare and 'rights' of these child-molesting scum. They're 'v-i-c-t-i-m-s' aren't they? Poor things. Show me a recent case of a child-molesting scum having there house torched and I will research it and talk about the specifics of it.

If the first thing that comes to one's mind when the subject of child-molesters comes up is the 'over-reacting vigilantes' then society, as I have long spouted, has a problem with it's own liberalism that may be as pernicious as these child-molesting scum themselves.
What fresh hell is this?
JT

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:36 pm

JT wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:
JT wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:

Right, Cat. I see where you get the logic of me saying that 'people under reacting scares the hell out of me' means that i think it is ok to 'torch someone's house'.

Just look at the over-concern for the welfare and 'rights' of these child-molesting scum. They're 'v-i-c-t-i-m-s' aren't they? Poor things. Show me a recent case of a child-molesting scum having there house torched and I will research it and talk about the specifics of it.

If the first thing that comes to one's mind when the subject of child-molesters comes up is the 'over-reacting vigilantes' then society, as I have long spouted, has a problem with it's own liberalism that may be as pernicious as these child-molesting scum themselves.

See, had you read everything written before I made the comment about people over reacting, you would have seen that I was talking about how people go crazy and do indeed turn into lynch mobs and they do such things as burn people's houses down. Thus, how I reached the conclusion that by "under reacting" you thought such actions were perfectly ok.

How do people under react to sex offenders? I'm still not clear on it. By actually allowing them to be human beings and have a place to live and giving them some rights? Is that under reacting?

While you may want them to be in prison forever, that just isn't the way it happens. They are human beings and they are entitled to some basic human rights.

That being said, if you look back at everything I have written here, you will notice that my feelings on sex offenders and sex offender registration are pretty conservative. I don't think sex offenders can be fixed and I absolutely believe in registration and that neighbors should be informed when a sex offender is living next door to them or in their neighborhood.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Rodge » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:02 pm

JT wrote:If the first thing that comes to one's mind when the subject of child-molesters comes up is the 'over-reacting vigilantes' then society, as I have long spouted, has a problem with it's own liberalism that may be as pernicious as these child-molesting scum themselves.

Sometimes you really do "spout" some bollocks. Yeah, because people feeling that a peodophile who has served his sentence and paid his debt to society should be allowed to live the remainder of his life free from being burned to death IS as evil as being a child molester!!
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes