Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Favourite Fawlty Towers episode!

A forum for any Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum

Which is your favourite Fawlty Towers episode?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:28 pm

A Touch of Class
No votes
The Builders
No votes
The Wedding Party
No votes
The Hotel Inspectors
No votes
Gourmet Night
No votes
The Germans
17%
Communication Problems
50%
The Psychiatrist
No votes
Waldorf Salad
17%
The Kipper and the Corpse
No votes
The Anniversary
17%
Basil the Rat
No votes

Total votes : 6

Favourite Fawlty Towers episode!

Postby Frasier » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:28 pm

Hello,

Due to Frasier's abundance of episodes, the polls are always done step by step.(I tip my hat to Cake for Brains for those excellent polls!)

Nevertheless, since Fawlty Towers is very small (Episode-wise), I thought I'd introduce this poll.

Please vote and if anyone needs any reminding, there is a good small synopsis of each episode on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fa ... s_episodes

Don't get me started on rationalistic pantheism or there go the whole three hours!
Frasier

Postby Frasier » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:29 pm

I do predict that the Germans will win. But I really loved Communication problems - basil's 'sledge-hammer' wit and bad-luck.

Wonderful episode!
Don't get me started on rationalistic pantheism or there go the whole three hours!
Frasier

Postby Stratman » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:31 pm

It's been quite a while since I've gone through the series. I considered buying it yesterday, but at 75 AUS, it hardly seemed worth. I'll wait for UKTV to do a rerun.
Stratman

Postby Frasier » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:37 pm

Stratman wrote:It's been quite a while since I've gone through the series. I considered buying it yesterday, but at 75 AUS, it hardly seemed worth. I'll wait for UKTV to do a rerun.

Thats about 30 pounds, I think.

Well, here, you can get it for £20 (or cheaper: Help Wezzo) which is about 50 AUS. Would you buy it for that much?
Frasier

Postby Stratman » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:39 pm

Frasier wrote:
Stratman wrote:It's been quite a while since I've gone through the series. I considered buying it yesterday, but at 75 AUS, it hardly seemed worth. I'll wait for UKTV to do a rerun.

Well, here, you can get it for £20 (or cheaper: Help Wezzo) which is about 50 AUS. Would you buy it for that much?

12 episodes for 50 bucks? I can get 24 43 minute episodes of 24 for 40 bucks. It's certainly a worthwhile investment, though. It's on my ''to buy'' list.
Stratman

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:58 pm

I voted for The Anniversary, because I love how Basil and Polly's lies just start growing wilder and wilder.

I also love Communication Problems and The Kipper and the Corpse, and I loved the "fire alarm scene" in The Germans.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Frasier » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:58 pm

Stratman wrote:
Frasier wrote:

12 episodes for 50 bucks? I can get 24 43 minute episodes of 24 for 40 bucks. It's certainly a worthwhile investment, though. It's on my ''to buy'' list.

The DVD is good- Plus they've got interviews with Cleese, Scales and Sachs. The interviewer isn't very good though (a bit of a chav!) his questions were rubbish. Nevertheless, the responses allow the actors to go off on a tangent, where there are some nice, interesting and sympathetic bits.

I bought it a while ago, and I'm glad its on your 'to buy' list :D

What about your Christmas list?
Frasier

Postby Stratman » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:54 pm

Frasier wrote:
Stratman wrote:
Frasier wrote:

The DVD is good- Plus they've got interviews with Cleese, Scales and Sachs. The interviewer isn't very good though (a bit of a chav!) his questions were rubbish. Nevertheless, the responses allow the actors to go off on a tangent, where there are some nice, interesting and sympathetic bits.

I bought it a while ago, and I'm glad its on your 'to buy' list :D

What about your Christmas list?

I've spent about 600 bucks on DVD's in the last month. There is no list. :wink:

Btw, were there any commentaries on the FT boxset?
Stratman

Postby Cake for Brains » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:00 pm

I think they're pretty similar to the Region 2 DVD's, which feature audio commentaries with the directors of each series. They're not very interesting though I'm afraid.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Wezzo » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:09 pm

Frasier wrote:

Best I can see about now is £15 or so, Amazon Marketplace. On occasion S1 and S2 can be found individually for £6 though, which would be £12 overall, not bad.

Waldorf Salad's my favourite, by the way.
Wezzo

Postby Frasier » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:17 pm

I've spent about 600 bucks on DVD's in the last month. There is no list.

Btw, were there any commentaries on the FT boxset?

I think they're pretty similar to the Region 2 DVD's, which feature audio commentaries with the directors of each series. They're not very interesting though I'm afraid.

Yes, the directors of each series are there, but they do explain some things that I never knew were there.- Like theres a cut which I never saw at first, but upon hearing the directors commentry I knew it was there. Its not funny as some commentries are, but it is informative about the history of the show etc. :wink:
Frasier

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:12 pm

Frasier wrote:I do predict that the Germans will win.

Me too - I'm surprised I'm the first one to vote for it so far!

The second half with the Germans themselves is obviously highly amusing and revisits Cleese's "Ministry of Silly Walks" sketch from Monty Python, but the real gold in the episode lies in the 'fire alarm' scene. So beautifully written and hilariously performed.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Frasier » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:44 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Frasier wrote:I do predict that the Germans will win.

Me too - I'm surprised I'm the first one to vote for it so far!

The second half with the Germans themselves is obviously highly amusing and revisits Cleese's "Ministry of Silly Walks" sketch from Monty Python, but the real gold in the episode lies in the 'fire alarm' scene. So beautifully written and hilariously performed.

I agree. I really did love the 'fire alarm' scene and Basil's rudeness to the nurse thereafter. The following events, like converting the orders of the german guests, into names of the prime Nazis in the second world war :lol:

Truly Great stuff :D
Frasier

Postby me123 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:46 am

Communication Problems - i love that old, deaf lady! :lol:
me123

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:18 am

me123 wrote:Communication Problems - i love that old, deaf lady! :lol:

Mrs Richards! I believe her first name was Alice.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Nervosa » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:29 am

I like Faulty Towers, but unfortunatly don't know enough about it to vote. I think I'm correct in saying my grandparents have actually stayed in the hotel used in the programme. (I'm not 100% sure if that's true, I'll get confirmation tomorrow.)
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:32 am

I hope they didn't have similar experiences to some of the guests on the show!

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Nervosa » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:35 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:I hope they didn't have similar experiences to some of the guests on the show!

I may be totally wrong in saying that. But I do have a memory from about 10 years ago of being told they stayed their. Obviously I mean the hotel used for external shots.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:39 am

Nervosa wrote:
Bee Gees Fan wrote:I hope they didn't have similar experiences to some of the guests on the show!

I may be totally wrong in saying that. But I do have a memory from about 10 years ago of being told they stayed their. Obviously I mean the hotel used for external shots.

Hehe, what did the sign outside say, just out of interest? Flowery Twats? :lol:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:40 am

^ I loved that one.

Watery Fowls!

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Nervosa » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:40 am

Beer Necessity wrote:
Nervosa wrote:

Hehe, what did the sign outside say, just out of interest? Flowery Twats? :lol:

:lol: I'll get all details tomorrow but I don't think it was called Faulty Towers!
Nervosa

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:46 pm

I haven't voted on this poll yet, because I simply can't choose.

I'm torn between 'The Builders', 'Gourmet Night', 'The Kipper and the Corpse' and 'Basil the Rat'. I love every single one of them dearly though.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Frasier » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:10 pm

Nervosa wrote:I like Faulty Towers, but unfortunatly don't know enough about it to vote. I think I'm correct in saying my grandparents have actually stayed in the hotel used in the programme. (I'm not 100% sure if that's true, I'll get confirmation tomorrow.)

They probably stayed at "Hotel Gleneagles" what "Fawlty Towers" was based on.

There was the owner Mr Sinclair, and Basil Fawlty was based on him - This is all explained of the DVD btw (Happy purchasing strat).

As for the actual hotel "Fawlty Towers" it was a set that unfortunetly burned down.
Frasier

Postby Frasier » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:14 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:
me123 wrote:Communication Problems - i love that old, deaf lady! :lol:

Mrs Richards! I believe her first name was Alice.

Yes indeed, Basil Called her "Deaf, mad and blind". When she first sees her room, it is very funny and basil's descriptions of what might be possible to see from a Torquay hotel bedroom window:

"Syndey Opera House perhaps! The hanging gardens of Babylon. Herds of Wilderbeast sweeping majestically..."

Also, when Alice asks for a reduction, Basil asks:

"Why because Krakatoa isn't erupting at the moment?"

There's so much more, I really love this episode :lol:
Frasier

Return to Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes