Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Well-known or not?

A forum for any Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum

Well-known or not?

Heard of it
50%
Hadn't heard of it
50%

Total votes : 14

Well-known or not?

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:27 pm

In a conversation about the forthcoming release of the first season of Family Ties on DVD, a British person said, in response to my assumption that the show isn't widely known in Britain, that they thought it was very well-known here. I've met very few people who have actually heard of the show, and I wondered, of all the British people on here, how many of you had heard of Family Ties before you saw me mention it?

I'm REALLY sorry to exclude other countries in this poll, but it's just that since Family Ties is an American show, I'm guessing that most Americans know of it, and I think it still airs in Australia, so I'm assuming that a lot of Australians may know of it too. As for other countries, I don't know much about their television schedules, so I don't know how likely it is that someone from, say, Italy, would have heard of the show.
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Nervosa » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:31 pm

If any Brits have heard of it, it'll be the elders. BN probably. (:P)
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Paul B » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:39 pm

I'm 16 and I've heard of it, although it's probably because of the references to it made by several other TV shows.
Paul B

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:52 pm

Nervosa wrote:If any Brits have heard of it, it'll be the elders. BN probably. (:P)

I know Wezzo knows of it, and he's 15 (almost 16.)

It's nice to see Paul had heard of it. :) At least it's not completely unknown by all of the youth of Britain.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Leanne » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:20 am

I've heard of it, but only because Michael J Fox was in it. Never seen it though.
Leanne

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:26 am

Leanne wrote:I've heard of it, but only because Michael J Fox was in it. Never seen it though.

Ah, a Michael J. Fox fan. :) I'll start a thread about him soon.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Leanne » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:44 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:Ah, a Michael J. Fox fan. :)

Always!

Bee Gees Fan wrote:I'll start a thread about him soon.

Cool, I'll get my copy of Lucky Man at the ready. :)
Leanne

Postby Wezzo » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:55 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:I know Wezzo knows of it, and he's 15 (almost 16.)

Yep, that's right!
Wezzo

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:45 pm

Nervosa wrote:If any Brits have heard of it, it'll be the elders. BN probably. (:P)

You were right, Nervosa! :D (cheeky git :P )
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:05 pm

Hmmm, more people have said they knew of it than I thought they would. Had you ever seen the show, BN? I gather it can't have been too popular over here, otherwise surely they'd have ran repeats for longer than they did?

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:08 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:Hmmm, more people have said they knew of it than I thought they would. Had you ever seen the show, BN? I gather it can't have been too popular over here, otherwise surely they'd have ran repeats for longer than they did?

I remember it when it was first broadcast here in the mid-eighties. My sister was into it big time and used to tape all the episodes.

I always felt it was a bit syrupy...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:10 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:I always felt it was a bit syrupy...

It is, but I don't think it's too much so. It's not so much to the point where it gets sickening.

Did your sister have a crush on MJF?

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:19 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:I always felt it was a bit syrupy...

It is, but I don't think it's too much so. It's not so much to the point where it gets sickening.

Did your sister have a crush on MJF?

Yep! Her and the entire teenage female demographic of the 1980's!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:26 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:Yep! Her and the entire teenage female demographic of the 1980's!

Well, he was a very nice young man. And I think he portrayed Alex and Marty very well. (Mind you, I can discuss all this in the MJF thread, when I create it.) He brought a great loveableness to Alex. The character could have been completely unlikeable - after all, he was a money-obsessed, Nixon-and-Reagan-lover, pompous know-it-all - but with Mike playing him, I just really like him (and NOT just because I think Mike was cute!)

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Stratman » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:35 pm

The show airs every day here in Australia. I tend to steer clear because, as BN, it's a bit syrupy. If I want MJF I watch Bill Lawrences Spin City. Now there was a show.
Stratman

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:02 pm

Stratman wrote:I tend to steer clear because, as BN, it's a bit syrupy.

I can probably find some episodes that aren't.

It's not a bad show, though.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Stratman » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:12 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:
Stratman wrote:I tend to steer clear because, as BN, it's a bit syrupy.

I can probably find some episodes that aren't.

It's not a bad show, though.

It's definitely a competant show.
Stratman

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:20 pm

I think it was quite a bold show - it tackled some issues that were quite controversial, for a sitcom. For instance, Tom Hanks was in two or three episodes as a uncle of theirs, who was an alcoholic. There was an episode where Alex gets hooked on amphetamines. There was the two-parter I mentioned where one of his friends dies. In the seventh season, there was an episode dealing with racism.

I sometimes think of it as a polished, sugary, earlier version of Rosanne (because Roseanne was known for having some controversial themes.) Of course, the characters were very different to the characters on Roseanne and the style was very different to Roseanne, but in terms of bravery, I think the shows are slightly similar.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Stratman » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:56 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:I think it was quite a bold show - it tackled some issues that were quite controversial, for a sitcom. For instance, Tom Hanks was in two or three episodes as a uncle of theirs, who was an alcoholic. There was an episode where Alex gets hooked on amphetamines. There was the two-parter I mentioned where one of his friends dies. In the seventh season, there was an episode dealing with racism.

I sometimes think of it as a polished, sugary, earlier version of Rosanne (because Roseanne was known for having some controversial themes.) Of course, the characters were very different to the characters on Roseanne and the style was very different to Roseanne, but in terms of bravery, I think the shows are slightly similar.

You really need to get yourself some drama.
Stratman

Postby Wezzo » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:13 am

Indeed; for truly controversial themes, check out the likes of The Shield!
Wezzo

Postby Stratman » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:24 am

Wezzo wrote:Indeed; for truly controversial themes, check out the likes of The Shield!

I second that.
Stratman

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:46 pm

Stratman wrote:You really need to get yourself some drama.

I know it seems quite tame, but remember, it's a comedy show. For a sitcom, I think it was quite brave.

I think I did read once that it was originally intended to be an hour-long drama. I wonder how it would have worked out if it had been?

Also, the parents were originally intended to be the stars of the show (in the first season, there are quite a lot of episodes centred around them) but of course, Alex became popular with the viewers, and he became the main star.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Stratman » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:06 pm

You might want to check out Freaks And Geeks. I think it will suit you perfectly.
Stratman

Postby Stratman » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:08 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:
Stratman wrote:You really need to get yourself some drama.

I know it seems quite tame, but remember, it's a comedy show. For a sitcom, I think it was quite brave.

Perhaps, but that's not what we meant. We were just saying that you might want to check out some dramas; you'll be suprised at how far they go. [/quote]
Stratman

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:22 pm

Stratman wrote:You might want to check out Freaks And Geeks. I think it will suit you perfectly.

I've heard of that. And freaks and geeks are people that I feel I can relate to (since I'm both myself.) Would I have to buy a DVD, or is it shown on TV in Britain?

Bee Gees Fan

Next

Return to Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes