Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

British/American Translation Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:27 pm

jrsightes wrote:And since we invented the damned thing.....

:lol: Exactly!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby welshben23 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:39 pm

Here we go. :D Didn't you know? Americans invented the whole wide world! :lol: :wink:
welshben23

Postby welshben23 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:45 pm

I've just read this on Wikipedia - Sir George Cayley, the founder of the science of aerodynamics, credited as the first person to separate the forces of lift and drag which are in effect on any flight vehicle, in 1799 he set forth the concept of the modern airplane as a fixed-wing flying machine with separate systems for lift, propulsion, and control. Cayley was building and flying models of fixed-wing aircraft as early as 1803, and he built a successful passenger-carrying glider in 1853. Where was Mr Cayley born you ask?...Scarborough, Yorkshire, England, UNITED KINGDOM! :lol: :lol:

Also I found this - In the United States, Canada and many other regions, the term "airplane" is applied to these aircraft. In Britain and many other regions, the term "aeroplane" is used. The word derives from the Greek αέρας (aéras-) ("air") and -plane.The form "aeroplane" is the older of the two, dating back to the mid-late 19th century, The spelling "airplane" was first recorded in 1907.
welshben23

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:46 pm

welshben23 wrote:Here we go. :D Didn't you know? Americans invented the whole wide world! :lol: :wink:

Perhaps not "invented" the whole wide world but did in fact make it a much better and improved whole wide world! :D
CatNamedRudy

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:47 pm

Right, we improved on the word and made it much easier to spell! Ergo, the American/Canookian version is the RIGHT and BETTER one!
CatNamedRudy

Postby welshben23 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:49 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Right, we improved on the word and made it much easier to spell! Ergo, the American/Canookian version is the RIGHT and BETTER one!

So what you're saying is that the Yanks or Canookians can't spell a simple word like "aero". HAHAHA! I'm speechless. :lol: :wink:
welshben23

Postby jrsightes » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:59 pm

A glider is not an airplane. The Wright brothers invented the first actual, working airplane. Imagining it doesn't count.
jrsightes

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:59 pm

welshben23 wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:Right, we improved on the word and made it much easier to spell! Ergo, the American/Canookian version is the RIGHT and BETTER one!

So what you're saying is that the Yanks or Canookians can't spell a simple word like "aero". HAHAHA! I'm speechless. :lol: :wink:

:lol: Touche!

Nonetheless, the word in Super Awesome Great American/Hockey Playing Moose Loving Canookian is better. Much better! So much better that most places use it and not the silly Limey version! Brits are always putting more letters into words. Is there a contest someplace that asks Brits to put as many extra letters as possible into each word and still have it sound semi-intelligible?
CatNamedRudy

Postby welshben23 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:07 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
welshben23 wrote:

:lol: Touche!

Nonetheless, the word in Super Awesome Great American/Hockey Playing Moose Loving Canookian is better. Much better! So much better that most places use it and not the silly Limey version! Brits are always putting more letters into words. Is there a contest someplace that asks Brits to put as many extra letters as possible into each word and still have it sound semi-intelligible?

Our words are the best because they are much older, all you Americans did was simplify the spelling because you couldn't spell our lovely long words. :P Anyway many British words are used in countries such as Canada and Australia! Some of your words aren't even recognised by International standards.
welshben23

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:12 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Is there a contest someplace that asks Brits to put as many extra letters as possible into each word and still have it sound semi-intelligible?

It's a ploy to get higher scores in Scrabble.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:01 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:Is there a contest someplace that asks Brits to put as many extra letters as possible into each word and still have it sound semi-intelligible?

It's a ploy to get higher scores in Scrabble.

:lol:
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:03 pm

Translation assistance required! Do you guys use the term 'helter skelter' to refer to these things?

I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby jrsightes » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:12 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Translation assistance required! Do you guys use the term 'helter skelter' to refer to these things?

Nope. Only to the badass Beatles song. Looks like what we'd call a slide, although it looks like the biggest/coolest slide I've ever seen. Do you have a picture of the whole thing, top to bottom?
jrsightes

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:19 pm

Not of that particular one, but here's one I took on holiday last week. This one's closed up at the moment. Usually, the covered bit at the bottom isn't there, and instead of a puddle, there will be a soft mat. T'would be funny to see the kids slide into the puddle instead though. :twisted:

I wondered what you called it because I want to submit it to a photo stock site and was wondering which keywords to use. They're really common here - almost every seaside pier has one at the end, and some of the travelling fairs have them too.
Last edited by Dorset Girl on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:22 pm

Hehe, just looked up the lyrics of The Beatles song that you mentioned. Yep, that would tie up then!
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:57 pm

I'm with jr! That's one cool-ass slide!

Also yes, Helter Skelter either refers to the Beatles song or the Charles Manson murders! Neither of which is a good name for a children's playground toy! :lol:
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:14 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I'm with jr! That's one cool-ass slide!

Also yes, Helter Skelter either refers to the Beatles song or the Charles Manson murders! Neither of which is a good name for a children's playground toy! :lol:

:lol: I don't know about the murders, but I have a sneaking suspicion that The Beatles actually based their song on this type of slide. ;) It's a kind of 'falling in love' metaphor, or something!
Dorset Girl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:26 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:I'm with jr! That's one cool-ass slide!

:lol: I don't know about the murders, but I have a sneaking suspicion that The Beatles actually based their song on this type of slide. ;) It's a kind of 'falling in love' metaphor, or something!

:lol: I think that may be a distinct possibility seeing as they pre-date The Beatles by 50 years or so... :wink:

Here's what Wiki has to say...

A helter skelter is a funfair or amusement park ride with a slide built in a spiral around a high tower. Users climb up inside the tower and slide down the outside, usually on a mat. Typically the ride will be of wooden construction and, in the case of fairground versions, designed to be disassembled to facilitate transportation between sites. The term is primarily (but not exclusively) found in British English. The ride inspired the Beatles song of the same name and is also mentioned in the song Tonight, Tonight, Tonight from Genesis and Oasis' "Fade In-Out" .

So that's that sorted. Interesting that the term is referred to as 'British English' as well, so it looks like you'll haveto tag your (very nice!) photo with 'slide' for the benefit of our American cousins.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon May 16, 2011 3:45 pm

Aimed at other EU countries really, but probably applicable to the US too!

What Brits actually say, what we really mean and what other people think we mean!

Dorset Girl

Postby Forever Jung » Mon May 16, 2011 6:08 pm

:twisted: Nice one DG :lol:

This older post worries me..............

welshben23 wrote:So what you're saying is that the Yanks or Canookians can't spell a simple word like "aero". HAHAHA! I'm speechless. :lol: :wink:

What the hell are the Americans supposed to do when they want to score some bubbly chocolate? :shock:
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon May 16, 2011 6:30 pm

Forever Jung wrote::twisted: Nice one DG :lol:

This older post worries me..............

welshben23 wrote:So what you're saying is that the Yanks or Canookians can't spell a simple word like "aero". HAHAHA! I'm speechless. :lol: :wink:

What the hell are the Americans supposed to do when they want to score some bubbly chocolate? :shock:

WTF is "bubbly chocolate?"
CatNamedRudy

Postby Forever Jung » Mon May 16, 2011 6:51 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:WTF is "bubbly chocolate?"

:twisted: Aero :D
More awesome than you can handle :twisted:
Forever Jung

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon May 16, 2011 7:20 pm

No, no, no Cat! Ignore that link! This is the best bubbly chocolate ever!
Dorset Girl

Postby Forever Jung » Mon May 16, 2011 8:36 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:No, no, no Cat! Ignore that link! This is the best bubbly chocolate ever!

:twisted: But the word is shortened and misspelled.

I see your point, perfect for the American market :D :lol:
Forever Jung

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon May 16, 2011 9:28 pm

:lol: I'm sure we have some sort of equivelent to that but I don't know what it is!
CatNamedRudy

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion