Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Last Film You Watched

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Last Film You Watched

Postby DHP » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:39 pm

This is in the same style as the TV show and DVDs-you-bought threads. Was surprised to find that no-one had started a thread for films.

Saw A History of Violence last night. That's a fantastic film, and so much more complex than it first appears. That was the second time I watched it last night, and it's still as powerful as it was the first time.

Also saw Wedding Crashers yesterday. Saw it at the cinema and thought it was very funny, but sadly it wasn't quite as funny the second time I saw it. Not really a timeless comedy then, but the romantic elements came through a lot more and impressed me for something that was advertised and that I remembered as such a raunchy comedy.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:42 pm

The last film I watched was Mean Girls. My sister had it on, and I sat and watched. I'd seen it before. I actually liked it, which surprised me, as I hadn't thought I would. But I really liked how horrible those girls were.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Re: Last Film You Watched

Postby Stratman » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:58 pm

DHP wrote:This is in the same style as the TV show and DVDs-you-bought threads. Was surprised to find that no-one had started a thread for films.

I'm pretty sure someone has started a last film thread.
Stratman

Re: Last Film You Watched

Postby DHP » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:40 pm

Stratman wrote:
DHP wrote:This is in the same style as the TV show and DVDs-you-bought threads. Was surprised to find that no-one had started a thread for films.

I'm pretty sure someone has started a last film thread.

I thought they had as well, but using the search function on the site with the words "film" and "movie" separately, there was a thread for everything BUT such a thread. I was surprised actually, as I thought one had been started too.
DHP

Postby Paul B » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:43 pm

I started it last year :)

http://www.frasieronline.co.uk/forum/vi ... highlight=

But I don't mind if it's continued here. The last film I watched was the third Harry Potter, the best in a guilty pleasure series.
Paul B

Postby DHP » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:46 pm

Ah right, not sure why that didn't show up on the search. Sorry about that.
DHP

Postby DHP » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:17 pm

Oh, and I watched Star Trek: Generations this morning. Have been working my way through all 10 over the last 5 or 6 weeks. Not a bad film and certainly with some good moments, but for me the best TNG films were First Contact, closely followed by Insurrection. Yes, that's right, I liked Insurrection. :D
DHP

Postby Nervosa » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:31 pm

I last watched Scary Movie 4. I rented it last night and thought it was terrible to be honest. Prior to that, I watched The Godfather (for the 12th time), I never tire of that; it's a classic.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby DHP » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:43 pm

Nervosa wrote:I last watched Scary Movie 4. I rented it last night and thought it was terrible to be honest. Prior to that, I watched The Godfather (for the 12th time), I never tire of that; it's a classic.

Yeah, love that the film (The Godfather that is). Saw the first Scary Movie the other night. Heard it was the best of the franchise. If it is, there's no way I'm looking at the other 3, as the first one was just terrible in every possible way.

Of The Godfather films, do you prefer Part I or Part II? I think I'm a Part II person, but I think they're both as good. I just like the origin story in Part II though.
DHP

Postby Nervosa » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:48 pm

DHP wrote:Of The Godfather films, do you prefer Part I or Part II? I think I'm a Part II person, but I think they're both as good. I just like the origin story in Part II though.

Definitely prefer Part II myself. Like you, I enjoy the origins of it all. Robert De Niro is excellant as a young Vito Corleone. My favourite scene in Part II is when Vito goes back to Sicily to kill the old Don that murdered his mother. I think that house and its' surroundings are very picturisque and single-handedly made me want to visit Sicily in the future.

I think Part III is very poor when compared to the standards of the first two films.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Stratman » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:17 pm

DHP wrote:Oh, and I watched Star Trek: Generations this morning. Have been working my way through all 10 over the last 5 or 6 weeks. Not a bad film and certainly with some good moments, but for me the best TNG films were First Contact, closely followed by Insurrection. Yes, that's right, I liked Insurrection. :D

I liked it also. It was my first ST experience, actually.
Stratman

Postby Stratman » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:18 pm

Nervosa wrote:
DHP wrote:Of The Godfather films, do you prefer Part I or Part II? I think I'm a Part II person, but I think they're both as good. I just like the origin story in Part II though.

Definitely prefer Part II myself. Like you, I enjoy the origins of it all. Robert De Niro is excellant as a young Vito Corleone. My favourite scene in Part II is when Vito goes back to Sicily to kill the old Don that murdered his mother. I think that house and its' surroundings are very picturisque and single-handedly made me want to visit Sicily in the future.

I think Part III is very poor when compared to the standards of the first two films.

I'm a part I man myself, II is amazing, though. Part III is definitely watchable, but not nearly as good as the others.
Stratman

Postby DHP » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:15 pm

I quite liked Part III really. Compared to the first 2, it's tripe, but as a film on its own and compared to many other films, it's not too bad. The last 15 minutes or so are top quality.
DHP

Postby Nervosa » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:20 pm

DHP wrote:The last 15 minutes or so are top quality.

That's true. My girlfriend actually cried at the ending of it. I found it very sad too.

I don't think Vincent was a suitable candidate to take the reigns when Michael died. He wasn't reallya Corleone. Then again, there was no one else apart from Vincent.
Nervosa

Postby DHP » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:59 pm

Yeah, the handover to Vincent wasn't as convincing as the handover to Michael in Part I, I think mainly because Michael's character changed too much in Part III from who he was in Parts I and II. But that final shoot-out and the closing scene are very effective and in my opinion work well as part of the whole saga.

On a completely different topic, I just watched Elf. I know it's almost become fashionable and cool to get on the "I hate Will Ferrell" train, but I had to say I loved him in this film. It's got a great cast too, with The Godfather's own James Caan giving strong support. Even if you're not into Christmas films, give this a look as it's got some great comedy in it.

And for the record, I don't hate Will Ferrell. I think he's a good comedy actor, but I also think he doesn't always choose his films very wisely. It seems there's not enough Anchorman's and too many Bewitched's out there.
DHP

Postby Wezzo » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:11 pm

United 93 A+

This is one of those films that everyone should see.
Wezzo

Postby Stratman » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:46 am

Das Boot: The Directors Cut

Of all the classics people talk about, Das Boot tops the list for me. It's a 3 and a half hour epic that doesn't feel like one of those LOTR marathons. It goes by like that.

5 stars
Stratman

Postby Leanne » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:55 am

Click - the Adam Sandler vehicle of course, so much better than I expected. The usual slapstick gave way to emotional drama, perking up again at the end to produce a really feel-good film.

Must add - War of the Worlds. The first two thirds were engrossing, but overall not as good as I expected. The lukewarm reviews did warn me it might not be the best film ever, which is why I put off seeing it for so long - I'm glad I relented to make my own mind up. Mind you, it was difficult to take it seriously because I'd watched Scary Movie 4 beforehand! (Not directly beforehand, but it was still in memory.)
Leanne

Postby Wezzo » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:42 am

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest A

Well, everyone must've seen this by now..
Wezzo

Postby Nervosa » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:17 pm

Leon, it's an awesome film. And I'm on my way to see The Departed tonight.
Nervosa

Postby DHP » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:08 pm

The Story of Vernon & Irene Castle. I'd never seen it before, but it was interesting as it was a film set just before and during WWI, and it was made in the late 30s, and based on a true story. Very powerful, as it had a lot of input from one of the main people on whom the story is based, as well as being such a fresh memory in the minds of all involved.

Was also interesting to see a Fred & Ginger film where the two leads turned in extremely restrained performances in favour of putting the story and characters first. They were such international superstars for their incredible dancing at that time, so it was mind-blowing to see them take on such heavy material. Worth having a look at if you like true stories.
DHP

Postby Outlaw Laser Robo Geek » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:26 pm

Nervosa wrote:Leon, it's an awesome film. And I'm on my way to see The Departed tonight.

Leon is a brilliant film! Definitely a must watch film in my opinion.
I'll get one of these one day...
Outlaw Laser Robo Geek

Postby Nervosa » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:04 am

Just back home from seeing The Departed. I'd really recommend it, I thought it was brilliant. It had a great cast and an intense storyline. Leonardo DiCaprio gave a particulary wonderful performance.
Nervosa

Postby Cake for Brains » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:19 pm

Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Ware-Rabbit

I was babysitting my younger brother and sister the other night, and they wanted to watch this, so I ended up watching it with them. I'd seen at the cinema when it was released last year and thought it was okay (not as good as the original 3 mini-films). However, I really, really enjoyed it - and I felt like a child again. Wallace and Gromit is something I'll always associate with being small - I remember watching 'A Close Shave' for the first time on Christmas Eve 1995 and being devastated when Gromit got sent to jail. My favourite one is still 'The Wrong Trousers' though, but it was lovely to regress for 90 minutes or so! Anyone else seen it?
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Paul B » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:38 pm

^ Excellent film.

I last watched "The Shawshank Redemption" (huge contrast to Wallace and Gromit, eh?). It's always a joy to re-watch this magnificent movie.
Paul B

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion