Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Sopranos

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

The Sopranos

Postby Nervosa » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:14 pm

From the mafia theme of the "Baker's Dozen" thread, I decided to start this one.

I LOVE this show! I own all 5 of the box sets (which set me back more than a few quid :? ), but it was money well spent!

I find it's a really complex programme in that Tony leads such a topsey turvey lifestyle and is in fragile mental health.

My favourite episode is "Pine Barrens" from Season Three. I haven't seen any of the Season Six episodes so far...*hangs head in shame*
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Wezzo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:24 pm

I've never seen it, but I've heard nothing but good things. Unfortunately money and time get in the way..
Wezzo

Postby Nervosa » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:30 pm

Wezzo wrote:I've never seen it, but I've heard nothing but good things. Unfortunately money and time get in the way..

I'd recommend it, Wezzo! My only criticism would be that the constant swearing gets a little bit annoying...
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby DHP » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:51 am

I've not seen it but have heard good things about it. Like others who post on here regarding The West Wing, it's too far in now for me to be prepared to invest the time and money to try and catch up, especially with all the other DVDs on my wish-list.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Stratman » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:25 am

I would highly recommend this show. It's brilliant; Tony is a complex guy. I also really loved Lorraine Bracco's performance as Dr Melfi, especially when all her trouble started.
Stratman

Postby Leanne » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:19 pm

Great show, and 'Pine Barrens' is one of my favourite episodes too. There's some really funny moments in the series that take me by surprise, juxtaposed with some scenes I've found really uncomfortable to watch (there's one particular episode I can't re-watch at all).
Leanne

Postby Shoryuken » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:11 pm

I too have all 5 seasons on DVD.. its a great seriesthough sadly I havent really had time to watch much of them recently. Although Im not at work today, so a DVD may well find its way into the player now..
Shoryuken

Postby Leanne » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:35 pm

I've got the first three seasons on DVD, but have only watched them through twice at the most. I wonder why, because I do really like the show, but never feel like re-watching it. Probably because it's nicer to retreat into safe sitcom world than it is to enter gun-toting Tony's world.
Leanne

Postby Wezzo » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:06 pm

Well, I've stuck it on my wishlist after reading some more reviews, thanks for bringing it to my attention! But I'm not optimistic about catching up with it very soon. So many other series to continue buying, so many series I've been pledging to start on for months..
Wezzo

Postby roz11 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:25 pm

I love The Sopranos however I do not have any on dvd.
roz11

Postby Stratman » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:43 am

Terence Winter won a best writing Emmy this year for his episode, ''Members Only.''

The boxsets are pretty cheap these days, btw.
Stratman

Postby Nervosa » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:45 am

Stratman wrote:Terence Winter won a best writing Emmy this year for his episode, ''Members Only.''

The boxsets are pretty cheap these days, btw.

When I bought mine they were £60 each! I'm a bit disheartened to see they're going for £20-£30 now......curse my impetuousness.
Nervosa

Postby Nervosa » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:07 pm

I'm currently watching my first episode of Season 6.

I hope Tony doesn't die :?
Nervosa

Postby Leanne » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:51 pm

My boyfriend told me a few minutes ago that he heard Season 6 is going to be the last.

What with James Gandolfini's pay disputes etc., I don't hold out much hope for his survival or the series as a whole anyway.... :(
Leanne

Postby Nervosa » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:34 am

I wasn't too impressed with the episode really. It didn't seem as exciting as previous series. Tony's dream sequences are a bit distracting.
Nervosa

Postby Nervosa » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:48 pm

Is anyone currently watching Season 6? I've only caught a few episodes so far unfortuately.
Nervosa

Postby Agides » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:02 pm

Paging CakeForBrains....
Look what I found today whilst continuing to plod my way through all previous posts to catch up with the FO forum.
Do you want to pick this thread up from here re our posts on 'Last TV programme you watched' or would you prefer to start a new one?
Looking forward to discussing my other favourite programme with you and other fans. :D

PS - Sorry I haven't sorted this out before - life's a bit chaotic at the mo!
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
Agides

Postby Nervosa » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:04 pm

I'm down for some Sopranos chat!

Wonder how far old Cakey has got through the seasons now...?
Nervosa

Postby Agides » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:16 pm

Nervosa wrote:I'm down for some Sopranos chat!

Excellent - the more the merrier!!

Nervosa wrote:Wonder how far old Cakey has got through the seasons now...?

Did I read Cakey's review of "Kaisha" on the other thread? If so, the same place as us (which secretly I am pleased about as I would hate to think I'm missing out on something!! :lol: )
Agides

Postby Nervosa » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:50 pm

Any idea on when the 'final 8 episodes ever' will appear on UK screens?
Nervosa

Postby Agides » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:30 am

I keep an eye on both the E4/Channel 4 & HBO official Sopranos web-site for clues and all I have managed to establish is that an additional 9 episodes make up the second part of Season 6.
The penultimate episode of the 6th series has either aired or is just about to in the US and RTE (Eire National TV) started their run of the second half at the end of May I think. I'm hoping that this means we won't have too much longer to wait!!
Word of warning - if you haven't checked out the HBO web-site before, take care if you decide to read through some of the past episode summaries. The first page is usually dedicated to the most recent episode, so you will need to avert your eyes (it is very tempting to read ahead)!
Do you know of any air dates? I assume that it will preview on E4?
Agides

Postby Nervosa » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:30 am

I have made the mistake of reading a few episode summaries off HBO I must admit, but I think only for the first few next episodes. There wasn't any major spoilers from what I can remember.

Yeah I guess it'd be on E4, as previous seasons have kicked off on E4.

Which is your favourite episode? (That's a difficult question I know!)
Nervosa

Postby Agides » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:16 pm

Nervosa wrote:Which is your favourite episode? (That's a difficult question I know!)

It's quite difficult for me to pick out a particular favourite, as they are all great in different ways - some are very funny and others give you a lot of background info which fill in the gaps and make you realise how we've got to where we are in the storyline.

Two episodes that particularly stand out for me, so I guess I would call them my most favourite are: 'Pine Barrens' (Episode 37) and 'Whoever Did This' (Episode 48). 'Pine Barrens' is possibly one of the funniest things I have ever seen on TV - along with Frasier's 'High Holidays' - and I was still laughing about it several days later! 'Whoever Did This', although shocking and very violent, was offset with humour - I'm thinking specifically about Tony and Christopher's discussion re Ralph's wig while they're busying themselves with domestic chores in Ralph's bathroom (if you have seen this episode, you'll know exactly what I mean)!!!

For me, this programme constantly delivers a great script and a fabulous cast - my two favourite characters are Tony (*girly sigh*) and Paulie. Even if I don't particularly like a character, (Artie springs to mind here), I can always appreciate great acting!

When I think about it, it's quite strange that I love this programme so much. I missed most of the first season and only caught the last episode of Series 1 whilst staying with some friends abroad, who raved about it. That one episode got me intrigued, so when I saw it being re-run on Channel 4, I watched it from the start (then bought the DVD so I could see it again!) and was hooked. This doesn't normally happen for me - if I miss the beginning of a show, I can't be bothered to make the effort to get into it. But there was just something about this that made me want to see more.

Well, that's my life story (even though you didn't ask for it - sorry)!! :D
How about you??
Agides

Postby Thomas » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:23 pm

I've been an avid fan of this show since 2003, and we got the first season on DVD here... I love the excitement, the real-looking imagery of a true mafia scene and everything about it. I've heard that the show will stop and the last episode will air sometime around, which is kinda sad... But I don't know really. 80 episodes is kind of a lot or whatever that's made.
Thomas

Postby Cake for Brains » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:46 pm

Nervosa wrote:I'm down for some Sopranos chat!

Wonder how far old Cakey has got through the seasons now...?

Completely up to speed with everyone else in the UK now Nervosa. I got so addicted to it that I watched all 77 episodes in a fairly quick space of time. I thought the first three seasons were probably the best, with S4 and S5 still being outstanding. S6 was still great, but maybe not quite up there with the best of the show in terms of quality.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion