Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The IT Crowd

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Postby mappeal » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:49 pm

Can someone point me in the right direction for the funny version of this show because the double bill that I sat through on Channel 4 last Friday evening was seriously bereft of laughs! When Graham Linehan said that he wanted to make a traditional sitcom I didn't realise that he meant to take as his template all those twee and unfunny shows churned out by ITV and the BBC over the years. There was one moment that made me laugh during this wreck of a show (the use of a computer screen to hide the fire and Chris Morris' line of "Nice screen saver!" ) BTW What on earth is Chris Morris doing stuck in this pile of rubbish? The rest of the "humour" would sit more comfortably on childrens TV rather than in prime time. Still, I suppose one laugh in an hour is a better hit rate than no laughs in 5 episodes of the Beebs new show Hyperdrivel....oops sorry, Hyperdrive I mean! Now that truly is a car wreck of a show!
One final point, I seem to remember an American comedy that wasn't all that good either that was based around a bunch of "computer nerds" being shown on late night TV over here a few years back but its name escapes me. Maybe that is where this show came from because it sure isn't original!
mappeal

Postby Stratman » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:24 pm

I just saw the second episode. It was hilarious, but there was no discernible plot. Hopefully the producers will fix that.
Stratman

Postby Ali 75 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:29 am

I saw a re-run and thought it was awful. I agree with you mappeal.
Ali 75

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:38 am

Last night's re-run was pretty much drivel. The woman was far too annoying, especially when on the phone to Chris Tarrant and the characters are far too stereotyped.
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby Jocelyn » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:02 pm

Sideshow Meg wrote:Last night's re-run was pretty much drivel. The woman was far too annoying, especially when on the phone to Chris Tarrant and the characters are far too stereotyped.

Totally agree, the third episode was abysmal throughout. The main saving grace of the first two episodes was Chris Morris, but he didn't even make an appearance this time around which meant most of the episode was taken up by the excruciatingly annoying Jen character, who seems to think shouting all her lines in a stupid voice will make them funnier. And when an episode begins with a character unaware they have dog excrement stuck to their forehead, you know things aren't good.

With it's puerile "jokes" and dated stereotypes, this show feels more like the sort of sitcom Graham Linehan might have started his career off with as an inexperienced young writer before moving on to better things (Father Ted, Black Books) rather than the other way round. Depressing.
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:19 pm

I forgot to watch the IT Crowd when it started, but it doesn't seem that I've missed much. Is it me, or is there nothing to watch on TV these days?
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Stratman » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:24 pm

I think there is plenty to watch. Scrubs, Prison Break, My Name Is Earl, Greys Anatomy, Arrested Development (maybe), House, Desperate Housewives, CSI, Without A Trace...
Stratman

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:26 pm

There is some good stuff out there, although it can be hard to find. :) You may have to delve back into some older sitcoms, though, Ben. I know I keep saying this, but I'm a shameless plugger when it comes to my favourite shows: I recommend you try Taxi, Ben, it's got some great characters, and whilst not intelligent in the same way as "Frasier" is, iit's still (in my opinion) a clever show. I think I tend to bring it up a bit too often on here, so I'll try and PM you some information about the show, rather than going into it in length here.

I haven't seen much of the IT Crowd (I did catch some of opening double bill a couple of weeks ago.) I wouldn't say it's horrendous; I can see why people would find it appealing. It seems unique, and there were a few bits that I found quite funny, but I'm not sure it's for me. I might give it another try, though, just to see.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:55 pm

In comedy terms, I would say the best thing out there at the moment is 'My name is Earl' but in drama terms, I have to shout 'HOUSE!' very loudly :D
Sideshow Meg

Postby Stratman » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:11 pm

Two comedies I would recommend are Sports Night and The Larry Sanders Show.

Sports Night was created by Aaron Sorkin of West Wing fame, and although it was never laugh out loud funny, the dialogue was sharp, and the stories interesting. It starred Peter Krause and Felicity Huffman.

The Larry Sanders is one of my all time favourite shows. It is a behind the scenes look at the day-to-day runnings of a late night talk show. It is in the same vein as Curb Your Enthusiasm, but far, far better, IMHO. It starred Garry Shandling, Rip Torn and Jeffrey Tambor.
Stratman

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:15 pm

Sports Night was created by Aaron Sorkin of West Wing fame, and although it was never laugh out loud funny, the dialogue was sharp, and the stories interesting. It starred Peter Krause and Felicity Huffman.

I would definitely agree about Sports Night. Not laugh out loud funny but great dialogues and storylines.
Sideshow Meg

Postby Stratman » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:29 pm

I forgot to mention Entourage; my second favourite on-air comedy after My Name Is Earl. It is about a hot young actor and his posse navigating the highs and lows of the Hollywood fastlane. It is fairly funny, but what I really like is serialized storyline that never lets up. And talk about guest stars! This show has more hired guns than a Will & Grace finale.
Stratman

Postby Ali 75 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:09 am

I agree with you Cakey, I've never watched less TV than I am doing at the moment. I can't think of a worse period for television in ages. I love 'Shameless' and I like some of the other shows people have already mentioned, such as 'House' and 'Desperate Housewives' although I'm sorry to say that DH seems to be a shadow of its former self at the moment, I'll see whether it improves. Other than that I'm tending to watch older shows on satellite or spending more time online.
Ali 75

Postby Sideshow Meg » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:33 am

Ali 75 wrote:I agree with you Cakey, I've never watched less TV than I am doing at the moment. I can't think of a worse period for television in ages. I love 'Shameless' and I like some of the other shows people have already mentioned, such as 'House' and 'Desperate Housewives' although I'm sorry to say that DH seems to be a shadow of its former self at the moment, I'll see whether it improves. Other than that I'm tending to watch older shows on satellite or spending more time online.

Me too. One I've been hugely busy with work recently but when it's all done, I just flick over to UK TV People or G2 and watch something like 'QI' or 'Top Gear'.

Although, to be fair, I have been watching 'Life on Mars' with huge enthusiasm. I love Phillip Glenister in that as the mighty Gene Hunt. He's so brass it's hilarious. Plus the plot line is really intriguing.
Sideshow Meg

Postby Ghost_862 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:52 am

Ali 75 wrote:I agree with you Cakey, I've never watched less TV than I am doing at the moment. I can't think of a worse period for television in ages.

I agree.

Things I watch every week:

Mock The Week
8 Out Of 10 Cats

Things I was watching every week until they recently finished:

Have I Got News For You
Never Mind The Buzzcocks

That's it.
Ghost_862

Postby strickman » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:39 pm

I'm not sure how the excrement on the forehead plot got through all the channels of first draft, second draft, read through, rehearsal. It seemed something a 15 year old would write. The character Jen is pretty annoying and I thought there wasn't going to be any swearing in this too. It was full of it last week.

I'm not convinced 'My Name Is Earl' is a comedy. It's kind of a warm programme. Watchable, with some nice things in there but hardly a gag-fest. My brother compared it a bit to 'The Wonder Years' which was great but never what you would call a comedy.
strickman

Postby Stratman » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:47 pm

That excretement sub plot was rather dumb, wasn't it. And Jen needs to be toned down.

I would definitely say My Name Is Earl is a comedy. Sometimes it is laugh out loud hilarious, and sometimes it isn't quite as funny, but it always makes me laugh.
Stratman

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:16 am

I would agree that "My Name Is Earl" is a comedy. I know what you mean about it being a warm kind of programme, Strickman - and there are a few tender moments in the show, but I think it has more comical elements than anything else. A lot of comedy shows have a softer emotional edge to them, British sitcoms as well as American ones, and I usually find a lot to laugh about with "My Name Is Earl."
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Stratman » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:19 am

Ali 75 wrote:I agree with you Cakey, I've never watched less TV than I am doing at the moment. I can't think of a worse period for television in ages. I love 'Shameless' and I like some of the other shows people have already mentioned, such as 'House' and 'Desperate Housewives' although I'm sorry to say that DH seems to be a shadow of its former self at the moment, I'll see whether it improves. Other than that I'm tending to watch older shows on satellite or spending more time online.

The second series begins this Monday in Australia. I'll definitely check it out.
Stratman

Postby Stratman » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:32 am

Shameless isn't for me, I'm afraid. I didn't like it at all.
Stratman

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:35 am

Shameless is definitely an acquired taste. I have to be in the right mood when I watch it because its very anarchic.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Stratman » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:04 am

I just found the whole thing a bit depressing. And a woman should never, ever headbutt another woman. It's just wrong.
Stratman

Postby mappeal » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 pm

Good grief I've just sat through another episode of this "sitcom" and I have rarely seen something so poor. Laugh? I thought I'd never start.
mappeal

Postby strickman » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:23 am

Last night's was horrendous. The writer said writing the series was a piece of p***. No wonder, if they're like that. It was a one minute sketch dragged out for a further 21 minutes.
strickman

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:31 pm

How can someone who had anything to do with Father Ted and Black Books, have had anything to do with this 'show'?

This can't be real.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion