Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The IT Crowd

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Postby Bad Ambassador » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:09 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:Chocolate, teabags... and then you're good to go!

Well, I bought a big bar of Dairy Milk Caramel today, so that's sorted. And we've always got plenty of tea bags in the house. Mmm. Perfect!
"You're rather good. All that banter, yet not a word wasted."
Bad Ambassador

Postby Cake for Brains » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:12 pm

Well, I bought a big bar of Dairy Milk Caramel today, so that's sorted. And we've always got plenty of tea bags in the house. Mmm. Perfect!

A big bar, all for yourself? I've got Hobnobs, grilled steak McCoy's and beer. Lovely!

Anyway, where were we... ah, yeah, The IT Crowd! :)
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Bad Ambassador » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:21 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:A big bar, all for yourself? I've got Hobnobs, grilled steak McCoy's and beer. Lovely!

Perfect! And yes, it's a big bar just for me, but I bought one for my brother too, so I'm nice and generous!

Anyway, where were we... ah, yeah, The IT Crowd! :)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! :lol:
Bad Ambassador

Postby Cake for Brains » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:39 pm

Perfect! And yes, it's a big bar just for me, but I bought one for my brother too, so I'm nice and generous!

It wasn't a 'Buy 1 Get 1 Free' offer, was it? :P

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! :lol:

Will be taping it to watch after QI. Or vise-versa.
Cake for Brains

Postby Bad Ambassador » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:40 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:It wasn't a 'Buy 1 Get 1 Free' offer, was it? :P

Buy One Get One Half Price! :oops:

Will be taping it to watch after QI. Or vise-versa.

Yeah, same here - the whole family watches QI, so it's only fair that I tape 'IT' to watch later on!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Cake for Brains » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:27 pm

Buy One Get One Half Price! :oops:

I knew it all sounded too good to be true! :)

Yeah, same here - the whole family watches QI, so it's only fair that I tape 'IT' to watch later on!

Well, I ended up taping 'The IT Crowd' too. Probably watch it tomorrow.
Cake for Brains

Postby Bad Ambassador » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:36 am

I only watched it last night. Probably the weakest of the series, sadly, but still raised some chuckles.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:55 am

Bad Ambassador wrote:I only watched it last night. Probably the weakest of the series, sadly, but still raised some chuckles.

I started watching it in bed last night, but fell asleep. Will re-watch it today though.
Cake for Brains

Postby Bad Ambassador » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:17 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:I started watching it in bed last night, but fell asleep. Will re-watch it today though.

It's actually pretty shoddy - it doesn't hang together well and it's just not particularly funny, although there are a few good moments. Shame this was the series finale, though, it goes out on rather a damp squib.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:19 pm

Bad Ambassador wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:I started watching it in bed last night, but fell asleep. Will re-watch it today though.

It's actually pretty shoddy - it doesn't hang together well and it's just not particularly funny, although there are a few good moments. Shame this was the series finale, though, it goes out on rather a damp squib.

Maybe Graham Linehan had exhausted all his ideas by then? Any idea if they'll be a third series - the ratings seemed to have petered out after a very strong start.
Cake for Brains

Postby Bad Ambassador » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:24 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:Maybe Graham Linehan had exhausted all his ideas by then? Any idea if they'll be a third series - the ratings seemed to have petered out after a very strong start.

Once the Big Brother effect was lost, the ratings more than halved, which isn't a good sign. But an article in The Guardian a few weeks back hinted that a third series was more or less guaranteed, so who knows? It must be a fairly cheap show to make, and it performs better than Peep Show, and that keeps coming back.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:28 pm

Once the Big Brother effect was lost, the ratings more than halved, which isn't a good sign. But an article in The Guardian a few weeks back hinted that a third series was more or less guaranteed, so who knows? It must be a fairly cheap show to make, and it performs better than Peep Show, and that keeps coming back.

Except Peep Show was going out at 10.40pm opposite Jonathan Ross, so it's hardly a fair comparison! Still, I'm all for a third series of IT.
Cake for Brains

Postby Bad Ambassador » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:32 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:Except Peep Show was going out at 10.40pm opposite Jonathan Ross, so it's hardly a fair comparison! Still, I'm all for a third series of IT.

The IT Crowd was going out against QI and the BBC News - both of which are very strong ratings pullers!

But no, Peep Show was definitely in a shitty slot. But it's just one of those programmes that has never caught the public imagination - it could be in the best slot ever and it wouldn't do very well, much like Spaced - that used to be in a Friends/Frasier sandwich, I think, and never did well at all.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:34 pm

The IT Crowd was going out against QI and the BBC News - both of which are very strong ratings pullers!

What did QI get? Did it beat IT?

But no, Peep Show was definitely in a shitty slot. But it's just one of those programmes that has never caught the public imagination - it could be in the best slot ever and it wouldn't do very well, much like Spaced - that used to be in a Friends/Frasier sandwich, I think, and never did well at all.

Sadly, you're right, although I think both shows sell well on DVD. And the people that tend to watch those shows tend to *love* them, so it's swings and roundabouts. I'm just so happy we're getting a Peep Show 5 - the last series was excellent.
Cake for Brains

Postby Bad Ambassador » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:47 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:What did QI get? Did it beat IT?

Oh easily, I think QI gets about 2.9-3.0 million against The IT Crowd's 1.4/1.5 million-ish. QI's the better programme, mind, so it's ok! :)

Sadly, you're right, although I think both shows sell well on DVD. And the people that tend to watch those shows tend to *love* them, so it's swings and roundabouts. I'm just so happy we're getting a Peep Show 5 - the last series was excellent.

Indeed it was - loved it!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:27 pm

Bad Ambassador wrote:I only watched it last night. Probably the weakest of the series, sadly, but still raised some chuckles.

Me too, I agree it was the weakest so far. That OTT boss is ok in small doses but an entire episode of him was far too grating. They could have made much more of that list of things they couldn't do when Jen was there (although the bicycle jousting was quite funny! :lol: ) but on the whole the series finished on a low note, sadly.

Having said that I'm going to miss my half hour of silliness every week!
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bad Ambassador » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:31 am

Apparently, Graham Linehan re-wrote the episode mere days before filming. The original plan was to have Roy and Jen get together, but then he decided that didn't really suit the show. So the reason the episode seemed a bit flabby is because it was all done at the last minute.

Ah, here's his quote:

"Originally, the series ended with Roy and Jen getting together, romatically–because I wanted them to have a sort of ‘Sam and Diane’ Cheers thing going that would spin series 3 in a new direction. But by the time we got to that episode we realised that…well, it just wasn’t us.

I had to do an emergency rewrite as late as tuesday of that week, and we were shooting the episode three days later. We often do our best work in rehearsal–you wouldn’t believe how much the show changes in the final week–and on this episode we just didn’t have the time.

So the Benny Hill ending was really there out of necessity. I just didn’t have time to come up with anything better."
Bad Ambassador

Re: The IT Crowd

Postby tenpercenter » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:44 am

what is this show like?

considering buying it on dvd
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:54 am

tenpercenter wrote:what is this show like?

considering buying it on dvd

I really like it.

Have you seen Father Ted at all? It's got about the same amount of silliness in :D If you're into that kind of humour I'd advise you to go for it :)
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Forever Jung » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:Have you seen Father Ted at all? It's got about the same amount of silliness in :D If you're into that kind of humour I'd advise you to go for it :)

:twisted: Father Ted is legend 8-)
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby !Amz! » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:55 pm

I got into IT Crowd last year and really enjoyed it, but I can't stand the boss in it as he's just too much, especially in the most recent series. I thought the last episode of Series 4 was probably one of the worst, the storyline revolved around him too much and it just wasn't very funny.
Reading that above I'm quite glad Graham Linehan never had Roy and Jen get together, I don't think it would have worked.
!Amz!

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:28 pm

Ooh! There's a whole thread about it. Just watched the first episode... kind of liked it, not too sure...
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby tenpercenter » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:38 pm

trying to pick up s1
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby tenpercenter » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:49 pm

just stated watching, not bad
i can see it being like the boosh, will snap in to my mind soon
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby Lil » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:38 am

My friends in Florida are trying to get me to watch an episode. From what they have said about it, it definitely sounds worth a watch.
Lil

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion