Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Daphne's "official" occupation?

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Daphne's "official" occupation?

Postby crystal_blue0610 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:22 am

Throughout the show she's called a bunch of different titles. But when you think about them they all have different meanings, education and roles.

For a show that was consistent with Frasier and Niles' education and background they went extremely ambegious on Daphne.

She's:

1. A physical therapist
2. home health care worker
3. a health care provider

Now, I know occupation education requirements differ in every country but for her to be considered a physical therapist in the US she'd need a masters. I remember vaguely in the 90s you just needing a bachelors degree to be an actual physical therapist but somewhere maybe around 1997 you needed the masters and license.

I've looked and in the UK it's a bachelors and them some kind of 2-3 year post-bacc training and licensing.

Now a home health care worker as I see it in the US is basically a CNA or certified nurses aide. This is a licensing you can get at a community college in 6-8 weeks. Anyone can get it and they're at the very low ends of the medical field. It's sad but we're talking the McDonald's worker of the health care profession field.

A health care provider is just the general umbrella that everyone in some kind of health/preventive care field fits under.

Personally, I always took Daphne for a CNA because Martin was pretty self-sufficient and she really didn't do much. CNA's can learn basic exercises and she wasn't doing really anything extreme.

Yet I always got the impression Frasier paid her really well as if she was a RN. I always figured she took home after taxes at least $50k. A CNA, home health worker doesn't get close to that in a year almost ever.

But was that more because she was really the maid and not so much for Martin's care?

How did you see Daphne's job on Frasier?
crystal_blue0610

Re: Daphne's "official" occupation?

Postby Patrick » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:06 am

I find the whole Martin situation a bit dubious. For starters he says that he's spent "Monday" on the bathroom floor until a buddy of his found him there. But Martin never seemed that handicapped to me and unless he was in a coma, even paraplegics can crawl on their hands in an emergency. The first question that came to mind was "Why didn't crawl to the phone and called someone?" That beats the hell out of spending "a Monday" on a bathroom floor. Anyway, Daphne's qualifications or lack thereof are only a drop in a bucket of details that test the credulity of the spectator. Throughout the show the coherence is at best rough and sometimes totally lacking for certain things.

About Daphne, I could suggest that she may have taken classes after her being hired by Frasier and that therefore her qualifications may have changed throughout the show, upward that is.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby PistolPoet » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:36 am

I've always been a little bothered by the fact that in Dark Victory Daphne says she's not very ambitious for wanting to stay and work for the Cranes instead of working in a hospital or a clinic, and yet, in Rooms With a View she says she hates hospitals. Who becomes a health care worker if they hate hospitals?

Also, I think Julia in A Man, a Plan and a Gal: Julia sort of has a point when she says she'd dump her physical therapist if she were Martin. He honestly doesn't seem to be that better off after ten years of physicaal therapy. Add to that the fact that Daphne is a terrible cook, and you have a good case for firing her somewhere in season 5 :).

As for her occupation, she herself says in Back Talk that she's a physical therapist. The other two titles (I think) are mostly used by Frasier and Martin when introducing her to other people.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby crystal_blue0610 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:14 pm

PistolPoet wrote:I've always been a little bothered by the fact that in Dark Victory Daphne says she's not very ambitious for wanting to stay and work for the Cranes instead of working in a hospital or a clinic, and yet, in Rooms With a View she says she hates hospitals. Who becomes a health care worker if they hate hospitals?

Also, I think Julia in A Man, a Plan and a Gal: Julia sort of has a point when she says she'd dump her physical therapist if she were Martin. He honestly doesn't seem to be that better off after ten years of physicaal therapy. Add to that the fact that Daphne is a terrible cook, and you have a good case for firing her somewhere in season 5 :).

As for her occupation, she herself says in Back Talk that she's a physical therapist. The other two titles (I think) are mostly used by Frasier and Martin when introducing her to other people.

I was watching Dark Victory on Hallmark last night and it brought back the curiosity on her actual job.

As the show progressed Frasier was the main one to refer to her as a home health worker as if trying to demote her status.

I remember when Julia said that. I think the best thing Daphne did was make sure his leg didn't lock up or something. He had a bullet through the thigh so he's always walk with a limp and he was old already so the cane is extra reassurance but I think he was more flexible as time went on. Thanks in part to whatever sort of pilates Daphne was having him do.
crystal_blue0610

Postby Ariel » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:40 pm

I've wondered that about Daphne's job too! I also couldn't work out why she lived in, Martin was hardly disabled enough to need a full time carer. Also surely a carer doesn't do housework - or do they? I'm a bit vague about these things but most elderly or disabled people here, (UK) seem to get a carer who justvisits daily, even if they can't get out of bed on their own!

Was it just that Frasier could afford to pay for Martin to have someone around full time?
"Love is an awesome force. It can make us do things we never imagined were possible. For you see, we don't actually choose love- it chooses us. And once it has, we are powerless to do anything about it."
Ariel

Postby PistolPoet » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:14 am

Ariel wrote:I've wondered that about Daphne's job too! I also couldn't work out why she lived in, Martin was hardly disabled enough to need a full time carer. Also surely a carer doesn't do housework - or do they? I'm a bit vague about these things but most elderly or disabled people here, (UK) seem to get a carer who justvisits daily, even if they can't get out of bed on their own!

Was it just that Frasier could afford to pay for Martin to have someone around full time?

As I remember from The Good Son (haven't watched it in a while), Daphne says during the interview that she thought it was a live-in position; Frasier refuses, then Martin persuades him to take her on because he liked her from the start. So apparently she preferred living in the same flat (though in Daphne's Room we get the impression that she's not crazy about it after all). Also, I think Niles actually offered to share the expenses, but that's not mentioned anywhere else in the show.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Return to Frasier Discussion