Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

So, Maris didn't care which side of the bed was hers?

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

So, Maris didn't care which side of the bed was hers?

Postby freewill » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:09 am

In "The Maris Counselor", Niles and Dr. Shenkman both get into bed, expecting to find Maris waiting for them. For Niles, he expects Maris to be on the right side if the bed. Dr. Shenkman expects her to be on the left side. Are we supposed to believe that a woman as selfish and self-centered as Maris wouldn't have a preferred side of the bed, and INSIST that she always gets it? (Niles even refers to "the heat from her side of the bed" later in the episode.) I know that's the only way it can happen for the comedy to work but once again, it appears logic takes a back seat to comedy.
Last edited by freewill on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Your ex-wife is ruining my sex life!"
freewill

Re: So, Maris didn't care which side of the bed was hers?

Postby Patrick » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:44 am

Maybe that's why Shenkman found her fun-loving side and Niles never did. The latter was on the wrong side of the bed. :lol:

Gives more legitimacy to the expression: "Wake up on the wrong side of the bed" :wink: :D

More seriously, Niles always insisted that Maris and him never slept in the same bed or even the same room. I seem to remember several remarks, one when he says that Maris could go for weeks without sex, the only reason for Niles and her to even be in the same bed and also another time when he says that she always sleeps alone which confirms what I said before. So it would only make sense that she wouldn't have an usual side of the bed. Since it's not for sleeping but for sexual activity after which one can only surmise that Niles would return to his own bed.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Wyokie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:03 am

First off loved that episode.

Secondly, I remember Niles telling Martin he and Maris had seperate bedrooms thus why he never had to look at the painting of himself as Pan in "The Ann Who Came to Dinner" in Season 11.
Wyokie

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:57 am

Is it in Selling Out where Niles talks about renting Basic Instinct and says: "I don't mind telling you we pushed our beds together that night" :D
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Wyokie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:32 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Is it in Selling Out where Niles talks about renting Basic Instinct and says: "I don't mind telling you we pushed our beds together that night" :D

I remember that. In hindsight, I wonder the writers made a small mistake and didn't realize it.
Wyokie

Postby PistolPoet » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:24 am

Wyokie wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Is it in Selling Out where Niles talks about renting Basic Instinct and says: "I don't mind telling you we pushed our beds together that night" :D

I remember that. In hindsight, I wonder the writers made a small mistake and didn't realize it.

But he adds "It was no mean feat - her room, as you know, is across the hall." Poor Niles :). Though I suppose he actually had the servants push his bed for him :P.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby Patrick » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:16 am

PistolPoet wrote:
Wyokie wrote:

But he adds "It was no mean feat - her room, as you know, is across the hall." Poor Niles :). Though I suppose he actually had the servants push his bed for him :P.

Exactly, so it's only confirming that they slept in separate bedrooms. My guess is that with Maris being so weak the servants did pretty much everything for her (which makes the absence of servants on the cruise a bit odd) and with Niles being (as Frasier puts it) spindly, pretty much the same goes for him. (They even help him slam the door when he leaves angry.)
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby winomaster » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:30 am

"Are we supposed to believe that a woman as selfish and self-centered as Maris wouldn't have a preferred side of the bed?"

An experienced woman will pick the side of the bed that allows the man to have his "dominant", skillfull hand free to run over her and not be pinned under him as he lies along side. So, if he is right handed, he sleeps on the left side. (As viewed from the foot of the bed.)

I wonder how many men have had their women pick the sleeping arrangements and never had it occure to them that there was a reason for the choice. It was a long time before I recognized the patterm.
winomaster

Postby winomaster » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:11 pm

freewill wrote:In "The Maris Counselor"...Are we supposed to believe that a woman as selfish and self-centered as Maris wouldn't have a preferred side of the bed, and INSIST that she always gets it?...

An experienced woman will claim the right side of the bed (as seen when standing at the foot of the bed.) that allows a right handed man to have his dominant, skillfull hand free for pleasuring her as he lies along side. Lots of guys are slow to catch on the the significance of a womans favored side of the bed.
winomaster

Postby frasier floyd » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:57 pm

I'm a woman and never choose one side but go back and forth randomly. The idea of needing a calculated side in order to cuddle or whatever seems silly to me.
frasier floyd

Postby Patrick » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:40 pm

She always sleeps alone, Niles said so himself. Choosing a side of the bed to make love seems moot to me. I don't understand why we are even discussing it.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Return to Frasier Discussion