Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Longest and shortest episodes

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Longest and shortest episodes

Postby hansenkd » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:38 am

The longest episode is The Two Hundredth, which was the only time Frasier ever played into NBC's penchant at the time for "super-sized" episodes. It runs 27 minutes.

The longest episode that was not advertised as being a "special" extended episode is Daphne Does Dinner at 25 minutes. This episode was only aired once in its full version, and a lot of people missed the opening scene, as it aired before the hour actually started while shows such as American Idol were still ending on other networks. NBC never aired it again in full, and the opening scene was one of the parts that was cut (along with the art restorer and the Speedy Gonzalez stuff). Of course, it is still highly sliced and diced in syndication. Since Season 10 was the last to be released on DVD, it was a long time before fans who missed the opening scene or the other parts were able to see the episode in its full, uncut version.

DDD is even longer than any half of an hourlong episode (see below), making it truly unique in its extended running time.

There are three episodes that are listed at 20 minutes, which would make them the shortest: A Day in May, Fraternal Schwinns, and A Man, A Plan, and a Gal: Julia. Two of these are short because their edits were based on first airings that were paired with other, slightly longer episodes (a season finale and a season premiere). I'm not sure why Fraternal Schwinns is so short. I don't know which of these is the shortest to the second, but my bet is on A Day in May. I love the episode, but for obvious reasons, the laugh track isn't very active, which may have affected the total time of the final edit.

All of this considers the hourlong episodes as being split into two parts. The two halves of "Three Dates and a Breakup" are 24 minutes each, at the time the longest half-hours the show had ever had. Any syndicated runs of either half are going to be heavily butchered. The second halves of "Shutout in Seattle," "Something Borrowed, Someone Blue," and "Don Juan in Hell" are all also 24 minutes, with shorter first halves (all 21 minutes). The two halves of "Dish/Spoon" are normal length. The series finale, "Goodnight, Seattle," has two 23-minute halves, making it the longest total hourlong episode besides "Three Dates and a Breakup." Other than these second halves of hourlong episodes, the only episode that runs 24 minutes is "The 1000th Show."

Useless, random information, but interesting nonetheless.
hansenkd

Re: Longest and shortest episodes

Postby Patrick » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:17 am

It's funny that the longest episodes are toward the end of the series. Usually it's the other way around and I always assumed that it was because of the progressive increase of commercials in American TV leaving less and less space for the actual program in a one half hour time slot.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Syndication cut one of the best scenes in Don Juan in Hell too. That was one of the few episodes I never saw in it's original run so I had only seen it in syndication until I bought the DVD. I was pleasantly surprise.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Patrick » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:09 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Syndication cut one of the best scenes in Don Juan in Hell too. That was one of the few episodes I never saw in it's original run so I had only seen it in syndication until I bought the DVD. I was pleasantly surprise.

Could you describe that scene succinctly please?
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby hansenkd » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:19 pm

Patrick wrote:It's funny that the longest episodes are toward the end of the series. Usually it's the other way around and I always assumed that it was because of the progressive increase of commercials in American TV leaving less and less space for the actual program in a one half hour time slot.

In general, that's true. In the early seasons, the running time of a "regular" episode is consistently 22 minutes. From about Season 9 on, most of them are down to 21, although most S11 eps are again 22. I really don't know why NBC allowed them to do such a long edit on DDD. It might have had something to do with an attempt to draw people away from "American Idol." I don't know. It's not like the episode had to be that long, either. The Speedy Gonzalez stuff did sort of drag, and it was a prime target for syndication cuts. The opening scene, however, adds a whole new dimension to the episode. It is a pretty jam-packed episode even without that stuff.
hansenkd

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:06 am

Patrick wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:Syndication cut one of the best scenes in Don Juan in Hell too. That was one of the few episodes I never saw in it's original run so I had only seen it in syndication until I bought the DVD. I was pleasantly surprise.

It's the scene when Frasier is in the car with Diane, Lilith and Nanny G. In syndication (at least what's shown in the US) it's just a very short scene. The entire scene has Nanny G. singing the Bangladesh song and a longer conversation with all the women.

And the syndicated version of High Holidays cuts out the "fridge pants" and "dog army" lines which are two of the funniest scenes in the episode.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Patrick » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:20 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Patrick wrote:

It's the scene when Frasier is in the car with Diane, Lilith and Nanny G. In syndication (at least what's shown in the US) it's just a very short scene. The entire scene has Nanny G. singing the Bangladesh song and a longer conversation with all the women.

And the syndicated version of High Holidays cuts out the "fridge pants" and "dog army" lines which are two of the funniest scenes in the episode.

I see. So that means that I've seen the long version. Thanks.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Return to Frasier Discussion