Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Mistakes That Should Have Been Fixed!

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Mistakes That Should Have Been Fixed!

Postby wlan2nd » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:54 pm

we all know that there has been a few mistakes in Frasier, but theres some really poor continuity mistakes that really should have been spotted, for example, in Author Author, Martin's trying to stop the feud between Frasier and Niles, "I never had a brother", then in season five, in Beware of Greeks, he meets after so many years, his brother! eh

whats your thoughts on this and/or any others which you feel really should have been spotted and fixed by the writers
im not sure how many people are in here with me
wlan2nd

Re: Mistakes That Should Have Been Fixed!

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:41 am

wlan2nd wrote:we all know that there has been a few mistakes in Frasier, but theres some really poor continuity mistakes that really should have been spotted, for example, in Author Author, Martin's trying to stop the feud between Frasier and Niles, "I never had a brother", then in season five, in Beware of Greeks, he meets after so many years, his brother! eh

whats your thoughts on this and/or any others which you feel really should have been spotted and fixed by the writers

You'd think John Mahoney himself might have pointed that one out - he spoke the lines!

The cat allergy thing was a poor one as well - between season 3's It's Hard to Say Goodbye if You Won't Leave and S11's The Placeholder Frasier is magically cured of his problem!
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Karin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:35 pm

Not a continuity error, but one mistake that really, really bugs me every time I watch the episode is when Martin refers to Roz as "Frasier's secretary". I just can't understand how something like that could happen, someone surely should have noticed. :?
One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years. - Thomas Wolfe
Karin

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:36 pm

Karin wrote:Not a continuity error, but one mistake that really, really bugs me every time I watch the episode is when Martin refers to Roz as "Frasier's secretary". I just can't understand how something like that could happen, someone surely should have noticed. :?

Ooh, just seen that ep this morning. It 's from I'm Listening - it really bugs me too, there's just no reason for it.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:35 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Karin wrote:Not a continuity error, but one mistake that really, really bugs me every time I watch the episode is when Martin refers to Roz as "Frasier's secretary". I just can't understand how something like that could happen, someone surely should have noticed. :?

Ooh, just seen that ep this morning. It 's from I'm Listening - it really bugs me too, there's just no reason for it.

That whole episode bugs me.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:58 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:

That whole episode bugs me.

I didn't mind the episode so much - all of S11 so far has been a breath of fresh air after the diabolical stink left from the S10 finale.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:30 pm

It's not a bad episode but it bugged me because I can't past Frasier hiding in the kitchen when Ronee and Martin come home. It's just stupid and I can't move beyond it! :lol:
CatNamedRudy

Postby seledoux » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:21 am

Alice. If they couldn't hire a single young actress, could they at least have kept her age reasonably continuous? In two back-to-back episodes, "Love Stinks" and "Room Full of Heroes" she jumps from being a talkative preschooler to a mute toddler in order to sloppily serve the story lines. Why?!?
I might venture a theory at which you are sure to hoot.
seledoux

Postby seledoux » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:24 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:It's not a bad episode but it bugged me because I can't past Frasier hiding in the kitchen when Ronee and Martin come home. It's just stupid and I can't move beyond it! :lol:

YES. Seriously, he can't talk through a bit of apple, so he HIDES?

Also, does anyone care to comment on how in season one he proclaims his ethics are so staid that he becomes ill when he tries to break them, and in season six [right?] he is willing to sell Niles out [re: his love for Daphne] during his divorce with Maris, yet he lies like a rug when it suits him! It is his instinctive reaction in almost any uncomfortable situation. What's the deal there?
I might venture a theory at which you are sure to hoot.
seledoux

Postby hansenkd » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:10 pm

Hmmm...Every time I come here, I dig up ancient threads that interest me.

I'm surprised that in this thread nobody mentioned Frasier's ever-shifting birthday. Early on, he explicitly stated it was in March, then he had a birthday episode in May (but in that case, the timeline of the series didn't necessarily need to match that of the original airdate). Most egregious, however, was "Back Talk." You can't escape this one because the series timeline has to match the real-world airtime one. It happens after "The Apparent Trap" (Thanksgiving) and before "The Fight Before Christmas." Daphne says that Frasier revealed Niles's love for her "the other day." We may assume that "the other day" was not sometime in March and that an entire year did not pass between the two episodes.

It was just sloppy and ridiculous and blatantly wrong. I think Keenan might have hand-waved it at one point by saying that setting the episode on Frasier's birthdy helped contribute to its theme and that this was more important than continuity or whatever. And they must have thought that, given the episode's game-changing ending, nobody would have noticed Frasier's birthday shifting to Christmastime--other things would be on their minds.

But wait a minute--if it was after Thanksgiving, then why were there no decorations around? And why is the episode completely devoid of any seasonal references? That had to have been intentional, but in retrospect, I find it annoying.

Taking the episode for itself, there is really nothing to place it contextually in late November or early December--and yet it MUST fall there because of the episodes it falls between. It's just very unfortunate and mars a monumental moment in the series.
hansenkd

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:27 pm

There is a thread somewhere where I went on and on about Frasier's shifting birthday. That one bothers me even more than the sudden appearance of Martin's brother.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:11 pm

The birthday thing definitely gets mentioned on some threads somewhere around here. It's been commented upon over the years.

I don't see any problem with an episode set during the nov/dec period not containing any seasonal references - i think that commonly occurs 'in real life', from my experience - but it is certainly a problem to chop and change a character's birthday once it's been explicitly established. Changing it to satisfy a writer's plot needs isn't at all a good enough reason in my eyes.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby ladriver » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:57 am

i've noticed a few over the years, not least of all being the awful english accents that don't even attempt to be regionally correct.

there is one inconsistency that springs to mind at the moment though, and that's of frasier's supposed cat allergy, as seen in the episode where kate costas leaves for chicago, yet in the 'sliding doors' episode (sorry, don't know actual title name) he is looking after someone's cat. maybe he got that shot, i don't know..... :wink:
ladriver

Postby ladriver » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:28 am

just remembered niles' kitchen as well... when daphne organises the dinner party (the one with the artist... sorry i generally can't remember titles) there is a door in the kitchen revealing a hallway and yet generally in other episodes there is a cupboard there (i think...). i guess he could have covered the door with a cupboard, but it's a tad unusual.......
ladriver

Return to Frasier Discussion