Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Name of restaurant

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Name of restaurant

Postby JT » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:15 am

O.K, Frasier and Niles have one particular favorite restaurant. It has a French name (of course) and I don't know how it is spelled. Don't laugh, but I will try to phonetically spell it: "Luciga valaugh" or something like that.
Does anyone know the spelling and proper pronounciation of the name? They always say it too fast and it sound a little different each time.
JT

Postby Stu » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:26 am

Not entirely if I'm spelling it right but I think it's something like 'Le Cigare Volone'.

Stu
----
Frasier Online Webmaster

Frasier: I suppose the situation you're in is that you'd like to stay with Maris but you'd like an affair with Daphne
Niles: Yes. Can I do that?
Frasier: No, you can't!
Stu
Site Admin

Postby duffman » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:35 pm

It's 'Le Cigare Volant' - which means something like 'The Leafy Cigar'. My French is only passable but that's what I think it is.
duffman

Postby Hans the German Butler » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:06 pm

Unless it's "Le Cigare Volonte" which means "the willing cigar" perhaps a clever Freudian reference by the writers.
ROZ: It's not like she worships the Devil
FRASIER: She doesn't need to, he worships her!
Hans the German Butler

Postby Ngee » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:47 am

I read an article that explains it. Apparently it translates as "the flying saucer". The label has a cigar seemingly flying over a vineyard with some sort of beam coming out of it. It is some sort of in joke, to do with one of the creators. At least thats what i read. It's on this sight somewhere!
Hellooo Emerald city, whats doing whats happenin?
Ngee

Postby welshben23 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:38 pm

I was watching "Love bites Dog" on DVD today and I had the subtitles on for no apparent reason. At the end just after Niles slaps Frasier he says they should go to a restaurant, and it came up on the subtitles as "Monsieur Galbolon". It sounded exactly like the way they pronounced Le Cigare Volant.
welshben23

Postby FoxyVoxy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:03 pm

welshben23 wrote:I was watching "Love bites Dog" on DVD today and I had the subtitles on for no apparent reason. At the end just after Niles slaps Frasier he says they should go to a restaurant, and it came up on the subtitles as "Monsieur Galbolon". It sounded exactly like the way they pronounced Le Cigare Volant.

Really? Will have to check this out! :shock:
FoxyVoxy

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:12 pm

Wasn't it Le Cigare Volant, like the wine from the Bonny Doon vinyard in California? It's been around for years.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:30 pm

I had a look around on the Bonny Doon website, and found the section about the wine in question - along with the pic of the label as mentioned by Ngee. I'm pretty sure the wine has been around since the mid-80s.

http://www.bonnydoonvineyard.com/wine/view/121
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby welshben23 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:57 am

On "Love bites Dog" Frasier does say Le Cigare Volant, but it comes up different on the subtitles. Look :-

[img][img]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l76/welshben23/fras.jpg[/img][/img]
welshben23

Postby KiraHeartsNiles » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:29 pm

one night i was waiting for a phone call and sat here reading the series guides. in there it spells it like you mentioned - "Le Cigare Volant". i think they spelled it Volont if u want to get technical. but anyway, that is interesting.

the other day i watched a movie with subtitles and it left out a whole sentence someone said. i was like, "hey! i needed to know that! what's up with this?!" lol.

the name in the pic sounds familiar too though. i wonder if the technicians who did the subtitles made an error, but with a phrase that actually was used in the show before.

hmmmm....
Frasier: What's all this?
Daphne: Your brother just gave me $200 and now he's going to roll me over.
Frasier: Niles?
Niles: Communication breakdown.
KiraHeartsNiles

Re: Name of restaurant

Postby MycroftHolmes » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:02 am

Frasier and Niles have not one but three favorite French restaurants: "Le Cigare Volant" (The Flying Cigar), "Chez Chez" and "Le Cochon Noir" (The Black Pig).
MycroftHolmes

Return to Frasier Discussion