Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Season 8 - Order Of Excrement

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Re: Season 8 - Order Of Excrement

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:33 pm

I agree on 15-22 except for A Semi Decent Proposal/A Passing Fancy. While they aren't top of the line episodes I like both of them.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby JackE » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:03 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I agree on 15-22 except for A Semi Decent Proposal/A Passing Fancy. While they aren't top of the line episodes I like both of them.

It was a close one, I tell you! I was looking at the last six and just couldn't decide on which one was worst.
"Oh yes Niles, that's just what we need, a fourth language!"

An Affair to Forget
JackE

Postby DHPfan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:45 pm

Actually, I would make ' And the Dish ran away with the Spoon' the 1st, and Taking Liberties in the 'not so bad, not so great' category! :) Yeah, and I agree with Cat, A semi-decent proposal/A passing fancy would be in my Not so bad, not so great category too! :)
Niles: As some illustrious person once said, popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.
DHPfan

Postby tenpercenter » Sun May 20, 2012 3:56 am

ive noticed a few new comers to the board
kinda like to know what you guys think of s8, criminally over bad mouthed
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun May 20, 2012 12:29 pm

01. Daphne Returns
02. Hooping Cranes
03. Taking Liberties
04. Hungry Heart
05. The Great Crane Robbery
06. Cranes Unplugged
07. And The Dish Ran Away With The Spoon
08. The New Friend
09. The Show Must Go Off
10. Forgotten But Not Gone
11. Motor Skills
12. Semi-Decent Proposal
13. A Passing Fancy
14. Legal Tender Love and Care
15. The Bad Son
16. Sliding Frasiers
17. Docu.Drama
18. Cranes Go Caribbean
19. It Takes Two to Tangle
20. Frasier's Edge
21. Mary Christmas
22. The Wizard and Roz
23. A Day in May
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby hansenkd » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:38 pm

Hmmm...it makes me sad to see how loathed S8 is. It was my first season as a "true fan" after the great anticipation of the summer of 2000 here in the states. You have to realize that all of us fans, many of whom became TRUE fans through the excellence that was the S7 Finale, were absolutely DESPERATE for this season to start. NBC had delayed the beginning of the season because of baseball and some other things that interfered with the Tuesday premiere (it had been moved from Thursday for this season). It was absolutely PAINFUL to wait all the way until late October to finally see what happened after the drive-off in the Winnebago.

Yes, it didn't live up to the anticipation, but what could have? It was doomed before it was ever written, and Keenan and Lloyd didn't help matters by choosing THAT moment to leave.

Still, I have fond memories of many episodes. "Taking Liberties" made me a Victor Garber fan before enjoying him immensely during his run on "Alias" and later on "Eli Stone." "Daphne Returns" was artistically brilliant. Even "Sliding Frasiers" was sophisticated in its way.

Yes, there are execrable episodes. I couldn't believe how much I despised "Legal Tender Love and Care" on first viewing and still despise it now.

I think that what makes me the saddest reading this thread is the low regard in which "A Day in May" is held. I think it's a subtle, beautiful little episode. Jean Smart at her most engaging, some of John Mahoney's best moments ever. Even the Niles/Daphne plot, though silly and a bit emasculating to Niles, was tinged with a hint of melancholy (aging Eddie, etc.) I enjoy it more each time I watch it, and just love the subtleties I discover on repeated viewings.

In the states, on the first airing, it was paired with "Cranes Go Caribbean" as a "one-hour season finale." I think that because CGC was a rather weak Finale, that may have escalated "A Day in May" in my estimation. But I love the episode and cherish it. And it makes me depressed to see how many people rate it as the worst episode of the worst season. Come on, people, there were still some Saladin Patterson clunkers to come--"War of the Words" anybody?--and many of the worst episodes place "A Day in May" in a very good light indeed.
hansenkd

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:27 am

I don't care for A Day in May much at all but I wouldn't place it at the bottom of the batch. Frasier's Edge, Motor Skills, The Wizard and Roz and The Show Must Go Off I think are worse than A Day in May. I like the Frasier/Lana part of A Day in May.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:01 am

hansenkd wrote:Hmmm...it makes me sad to see how loathed S8 is. It was my first season as a "true fan" after the great anticipation of the summer of 2000 here in the states. You have to realize that all of us fans, many of whom became TRUE fans through the excellence that was the S7 Finale, were absolutely DESPERATE for this season to start. NBC had delayed the beginning of the season because of baseball and some other things that interfered with the Tuesday premiere (it had been moved from Thursday for this season). It was absolutely PAINFUL to wait all the way until late October to finally see what happened after the drive-off in the Winnebago.

Yes, it didn't live up to the anticipation, but what could have? It was doomed before it was ever written, and Keenan and Lloyd didn't help matters by choosing THAT moment to leave.

Still, I have fond memories of many episodes. "Taking Liberties" made me a Victor Garber fan before enjoying him immensely during his run on "Alias" and later on "Eli Stone." "Daphne Returns" was artistically brilliant. Even "Sliding Frasiers" was sophisticated in its way.

Yes, there are execrable episodes. I couldn't believe how much I despised "Legal Tender Love and Care" on first viewing and still despise it now.

I think that what makes me the saddest reading this thread is the low regard in which "A Day in May" is held. I think it's a subtle, beautiful little episode. Jean Smart at her most engaging, some of John Mahoney's best moments ever. Even the Niles/Daphne plot, though silly and a bit emasculating to Niles, was tinged with a hint of melancholy (aging Eddie, etc.) I enjoy it more each time I watch it, and just love the subtleties I discover on repeated viewings.

In the states, on the first airing, it was paired with "Cranes Go Caribbean" as a "one-hour season finale." I think that because CGC was a rather weak Finale, that may have escalated "A Day in May" in my estimation. But I love the episode and cherish it. And it makes me depressed to see how many people rate it as the worst episode of the worst season. Come on, people, there were still some Saladin Patterson clunkers to come--"War of the Words" anybody?--and many of the worst episodes place "A Day in May" in a very good light indeed.

Oh, I remember the anticipation like it was yesterday - sitting in front of the TV that Friday night (the UK date of airing) and being so excited about what would happen next. That first double episode was probably as good as it got in S8 though sadly and the departure of the showrunners had a lot to do with that as you say.

Since the show has ended though I've come to appreciate the episodes we've been left with a little more. The worst accusation I can lay at the door of A Day in May is that it was dull and light on laughs - but that's infinitely preferable to episodes that positively make me cringe (i.e. WoTW)
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby tenpercenter » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:47 am

the show must go off is one of the worst frasier eps ever
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:14 am

tenpercenter wrote:the show must go off is one of the worst frasier eps ever

Not even close to being.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:23 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
hansenkd wrote:Hmmm...it makes me sad to see how loathed S8 is. It was my first season as a "true fan" after the great anticipation of the summer of 2000 here in the states. You have to realize that all of us fans, many of whom became TRUE fans through the excellence that was the S7 Finale, were absolutely DESPERATE for this season to start. NBC had delayed the beginning of the season because of baseball and some other things that interfered with the Tuesday premiere (it had been moved from Thursday for this season). It was absolutely PAINFUL to wait all the way until late October to finally see what happened after the drive-off in the Winnebago.

Oh, I remember the anticipation like it was yesterday - sitting in front of the TV that Friday night (the UK date of airing) and being so excited about what would happen next. That first double episode was probably as good as it got in S8 though sadly and the departure of the showrunners had a lot to do with that as you say.

Since the show has ended though I've come to appreciate the episodes we've been left with a little more. The worst accusation I can lay at the door of A Day in May is that it was dull and light on laughs - but that's infinitely preferable to episodes that positively make me cringe (i.e. WoTW)

That's probably the worst accusation i would attribute, too. I used to detest the whole episode when i first saw the season but, on reflection, I could be persuaded to raise A Day in May up a couple of places for my season list. I don't hate the Frasier/Lana or Martin parts, but the Niles/Daphne section is 100% pure, unadulterated bilge.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:46 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:

Not even close to being.

I agree with tenpercenter. I really don't like The Show Must Go Off. Definitely in the bottom 10 for me.
CatNamedRudy

Postby welshben23 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:01 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:

Not even close to being.

I've got to agree with M-C on this. I quite like it.
welshben23

Postby tenpercenter » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:07 am

a day in may . worst.ep.ever
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby hansenkd » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:28 am

tenpercenter wrote:a day in may . worst.ep.ever

Explain why.
hansenkd

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:43 am

Disagree.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:18 pm

A weak one, and certainly amongst my lower rates episodes, but probably not the worst.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby tenpercenter » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:33 am

cose its lame

makes u crave for the days of society parties , maris and disaturous blind dates
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby hansenkd » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:16 am

Wow. "Cos it's lame" has got to be the most powerful evidence and explanation I've ever seen. :D
hansenkd

Postby Mr. Flibble » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:12 pm

I recently finished S8 and Ienjoyed that one also.
Taking Liberties, Cranes unplugged (martin and his journal :lol: ), the show must go off, Hooping Cranes, Forgotten but not gone especially stand out, and Ididnt dislike any of the episodes (no Gertrude! :lol: )

I also liked the Dr Tewkesbury character.
Mr. Flibble

Previous

Return to Frasier Discussion